What are you listening to?

Page 136 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

510D4S2AABL._SS500_.jpg

daveh75

idc:
daveh75:
51Nu59ZWIwL._SS500_.jpg

Fan-blinking-tastic! Black Sabbath meets Deep Purple meets Reef meets Kasabian meets Black Sabbath again. My foot isn't just tapping, it is leaping about headbanging.
If you liked WolfMother, you should also try out "The Parlor Mob". They're of a similar style,and although IMO not quite in the same league as WM are still very good.....

idc

Thanks Dave, The Parlor Mob and The Sword and Pride Tiger are lined up for later listening. Whilst Scandinavia havs been keeping the traditional prog rock flag flying, North America has done the same with traditional heavy metal.

Please give Iwrestledabearonce a listen and let me know what you think.

EDIT - both are headbangingly brilliant........

41a050IbyrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51PNA7S8P1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Of all the prog rock I have been listening to over the past week off Spotify, the best so far and the one I keep going back to is Anekdoten and their best of from 2009, Chapters. The musicianship is fabulous, the mellotron sounds amazing and is definitely their USP. I dont understand why it is not used more often. It gives the music a retro feel, but without dating it. In For A Ride has great power to it and is probably my favourite......

41xKXUur20L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Quick pat on the back for idc, well deserved for sterling work in recent weeks for his quest to discover some hidden delights from the wonderful world of prog (amongst others). You`ve been pretty proflific and it sounds like you`ve been really enjoying yourself. Riverside have been on my list of `must get round to soon` for quite sometime. On your recommendation I shall also be exploring Anekdoten and Beardfish. Keep it up old chap!

daveh75

idc:EDIT - both are headbangingly brilliant........

Thought they may be to your taste,glad you enjoyed them
emotion-21.gif
idc:Please give Iwrestledabearonce a listen and let me know what you think.
Ive just briefly listened to.....

619Dqt6QOTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not my thing at all,if it was instrumental i would of probably enjoyed it,bad sadly it isn't.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
A crackley (if that's a word) copy of 'The Essential Jran Michel Jarre'. The first time in more than 5 years as i now have an amp with a phono input. Surprised my old Technics turntable still works after 5 years in the garage.
emotion-1.gif
)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
mastodon.jpg
andywiliiams.jpg
anekdoten.jpg

Mastodon - `Crack The Skye` (cd/dvd ltd edition) Yes, yes I know this belongs to my son but don`t forget I did buy it for him!This sounds better everytime I hear it. It`s one of those albums you can get lost in and don`t want to ever end. Strong contender for my album of the year.

Andy Williams - `The Very Best Of` (dble cd) Wonderful songs, wonderful voice. This double compilation from a few years back contains most of Andy`s essential songs and would be just about perfect if it had included `God Only Knows` and `Alfie`.

Anekdoten - `A Time Of Day` (spotify) Oh yes! Thanks to recommendation from idc I`ve just enjoyed a very pleasurable 44mins listening to some fine Swedish prog. It`s all in there, flutes, cellos, Rickenbacker bass and some lovely touches of mellotron. Certainly going to explore some more work by this band. Astute readers will have noticed this to be my first entry on this thread featuring Spotify! Who`d have thought it?!

A

Anonymous

Charlotte Gainsburgh 5:55

It's pretty good. Music by Air and lyrics by Neil Hannon and Jarvis Cocker

idc

Polish prog metal and the Riverside EP 'O2 Panic Room'. The track 'Back to the River' is magnificent and samples Pink Floyd's 'Shine on you crazy Diamond'.

Then Swedish traditional prog with Kaipa who started back in the 1970s and share members with The Flower Kings. The musicianship is stunning and quite how a band, who have put out 10 albums since 1975 and not got a wider audience is beyond me. I am particularly enjoying the very fast, precise and detailed drumming by Morgan Agren and the joint male/female vocals by Hans Lundin and Aleena Gibson. 'Angling Feelings' is their most recent album and going by a couple of reviews it is not one of their best. In that case roll on the rest of their albums.

51ntIBytmNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
51bafyxNiEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts