What are you listening to?

Page 137 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

Some southern blues/punk rock!

61uuwOzdZFL._SS500_.jpg

idc,i see you have been quoted in this month's mag! and yes it was actually you this time
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Been listening to the album "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine, which sounds great on a good system, and now I've moved on to "This Will Destroy You" by This Will Destroy You.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
idc:

The Anekdoten Fan Club of Sweden wants to say a big HI to all the What Hifi prog rockers out there.............and thanks for getting into their favourite band.

swedish_girls_02.jpg

How much is an Easy Jet ticket to Stockholm? One way.

idc

A change of tack and from Japan, Cornelius and the album 'Point'. The work of Keigo Oyamada, it is art rock/pop, sound effects and electronica played in a very precise almost staccato style. The production is fabulous, the rhythms intreguing and this will give your system a good work out. Try 'Drop', a very catchy, happy song.

41ERBMGJ4ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

Two Norwegian bands I have tried before and were worth a revisit. White Willow are a female vocaled anthemic rock/goth/pop whose music is too structured for me to be real prog. The production is lush but the music fails to inspire. Thule are prog metal with a strong hint of Rush and OTT (dire) male vocals that mean the second visit will be the last. 'Natt' is also the worst sounding album I have heard in a long time, very flat and little detail. However, thats for me.

61YZTFPEQYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
201649.jpg

idc

From Luxembourg, Le Grand Guignol and the album 'The Great Maddening'. This is prog metal......with orchestra and choir. I am not up with classical music, but I did go to see a 'best of' opera performance whilst in Vienna. The style is similar to the more populist, knock about, faster work of Mozart. If Andrew Loyd Webber wrote a show for Dream Theater then you get near Le Grand Guignol. This is then set to metal drumming, grinding guitar and deep growling vocals and spoken sections. I am really enjoying it. I cannot think of anything else like it.

61KzxDKkuxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The track 'Mens Insana in Corpore Insano' is a mad classic.

idc

Tried Led Bib, but a bit too freeform for me. I could not find new Portico Quartet album in Fopp today and it is not (yet) on Spotify.

Presently listening to Kaipa who are right up there with Anekdoten and Beardfish as my favourite traditional prog rock bands. I could not find any of them in Fopp either. Downloads via Spotify or from Amazon are available.

61wFwX73VSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

daveh75

idc:

Tried Led Bib, but a bit too freeform for me. I could not find new Portico Quartet album in Fopp today and it is not (yet) on Spotify.I think they're maybe be samples of the PQ album on Amazon to give you a taster!

EDIT- Here infact

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Allright guys,

A sample of what i've been listening to lately.

Various Artists: The Best of Afro. Beat

Various Artists: The Very Best of Ethiopique(2-CD edition)

The Beatles: The Beatles Remastered in Stereo(13-CD,Parlophone box-set)

Antonin Dvorak: Symphony No's 1 to 9(6-CD,DECCA-LONDON box-set)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Sonatas - volumes 1,2,3 & 4(John O'Connor.TELARC CD)

Don Cherry,Nana Vasconcelos & Collin Walcott: The Codona Trilogy(3-CD,ECM box-set)

Five Peace Band(Vinnie Colaiuta,Chick Corea,Kenny Garret,Herbie Hancock,Christian McBride & John McLaughin): Five Peace Band - Live(2-CD edition)

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King(6-CD,DGM-Panegyric box-set)

King Crimson: Red(CD & DVD,Panegyric 40th Anniversary box-set)

La Roux: La Roux

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Original Album Classics(5-CD,SonyBMG box-set)

John Martin: Solid Air(Deluxe 2-CD edition)

Theolonious Monk: Original Album Classics(5-CD,SonyBMG box-set)

Prince(or the artist formerly known as Prince): Around the World in a Day & Lovesexy

Sergey Rachmaninov: Piano Works(6-CD,DECCA-LONDON box-set)

Weather Report: Original Album Classics(5-CD,SonyBMG box-set)

Time to give my ears a well-earned rest now!

BABUR.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Babur72:

Allright guys,

A sample of what i've been listening to lately.

Various Artists: The Best of Afro. Beat

Various Artists: The Very Best of Ethiopique(2-CD edition)

The Beatles: The Beatles Remastered in Stereo(13-CD,Parlophone box-set)

Antonin Dvorak: Symphony No's 1 to 9(6-CD,DECCA-LONDON box-set)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Sonatas - volumes 1,2,3 & 4(John O'Connor.TELARC CD)

Don Cherry,Nana Vasconcelos & Collin Walcott: The Codona Trilogy(3-CD,ECM box-set)

Five Peace Band(Vinnie Colaiuta,Chick Corea,Kenny Garret,Herbie Hancock,Christian McBride & John McLaughin): Five Peace Band - Live(2-CD edition)

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King(6-CD,DGM-Panegyric box-set)

King Crimson: Red(CD & DVD,Panegyric 40th Anniversary box-set)

La Roux: La Roux

John Martin: Solid Air(Deluxe 2-CD edition)

Theolonious Monk: Original Album Classics(5-CD,SonyBMG box-set)

Prince(or the artist formerly known as Prince): Around the World in a Day & Lovesexy

Sergey Rachmaninov: Piano Works(6-CD,DECCA-LONDON box-set)

Time to give my ears a well-earned rest now!

BABUR.

You have 3 of my recent purchaes

King Crimson: Red(CD & DVD,Panegyric 40th Anniversary box-set

I like the first two a great deal but I found the weather report dull. How is the

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King(6-CD,DGM-Panegyric box-set)?

I was thinking of getting the 2 disc set.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts