What are you listening to?

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

51zCcGyQBTL._SS500_.jpg

51xT2FaLCRL._SS400_.jpg

idc

The Ozric album was OK, I will try more, but they reminded me of The Orb, who I like but in small doses. Which of their albums would you recommend Dave?

One of the UKs most imaginative artists over the past couple of decades has been Jah Wobble. He is not usually regarded as prog rock, but he has so many styles he could maybe come under eclectic art electronic prog to merge a few sub genres from Prog Archives.com. Another album has appeared on Spotify..........

31%2Bp1UgJXHL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

...which is an electro jazz prog fusion. I am being serious now, no laughing. Anyway, I like it and hopefully more of Wobbles back catalogue will appear over time.

daveh75

idc:

The Ozric album was OK, I will try more, but they reminded me of The Orb, who I like but in small doses. Which of their albums would you recommend Dave?They are somewhat of an acquired taste,but Pungent Effulgent is probably my favourite.......

idc

Thanks for that Dave, now on the playlist.

More Jah Wobble, though I would struggle to claim this in the name of Prog Rock. A joint venture with fellow bassist and producer Bill Laswell, it is a rhythmic, electronic beat album with a depth defying bass line that only the very best hifi will cope with and render musical. Now there is a challenge......

Radioaxiom+A+Dub+Transmission.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Ozric Tentacles and the excellent IQ, classic prog rock in its most traditional sense.......

419EJF2V6TL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41B7MJJxzKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That`s a coincidence idc, I`ve also been listening to IQ! You certainly seem to be getting through plenty of prog recently. Been meaning to try out Riverside for awhile so thanks for reminding me of that. I like what you`re saying about Anekdoten so have added them to my list.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
frequency.jpg
blondie.jpg
elvis1.jpg

IQ - `Frequency` (cd/dvd special edition) Very good prog band who rarely make a bad album. This limited edition comes with a live DVD filmed in Holland. Great value!

Blondie - `Blondie` (vinyl) Glad to see this album was still in decent nick after digging it out earlier today. Used to love early Blondie.

Elvis Presley - `Promised Land` (cd) Not the best Elvis album but this extended version has bonus tracks which includes my favourite Elvis song `My Boy` from the early 70`s.

A

Anonymous

working from home today .... neighbours are awake so will start with something old and mellow

The very best of The Ventures ...

idc

Gone a bit more ambient. Cluster with Brian Eno is classic ambient instrumental. It never gets going, but is very pleasent all the same. Then Bill Laswell with Sacred System: Book of Exit and Jah Wobble with Take Me to God. Both have eastern influences, the Laswell album is very hypnotic. Wobbles is full of his musings of life, people, London and the universe set to an almost reggae bass line....

417UpK5gHWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
4697-sacred-system-book-of-exit-dub-chamber-4.jpg
41K5CF4KQ0L._SL160_.jpg

idc

The Pineapple Thief, of whom comparisons are made with Porcupine Tree and earlier Radiohead. I would add Mansun to that list. Rather than Porcupine Tree's light and heavy mix, The Pineapple Thief are mellow then fast with added Radiohead 'OK Computer' anthemic riffs and lush production.

51-Cckz48PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

After the What Hifi/Gadget Shows suggestion for a headphone group test to use '15 Steps' as a tester track I have been listening to In Rainbows off WMP. My favourite track is 'All You Need'. The slow rhythm, building to all almighty crescendo is spine tingling. '15 Steps' is a very good workout for any music system. Considering my version is the downloded pay for it if you want to, it sounds brilliant. I remember Radiohead on Top of The Pops playing Paranoid Andriod and thinking they are the first prog rock band to make a chart impact for years.

51n--E6sdpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts