What Amplifier

roblongdesign89

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently aquired my first well paid job after University and i've decided to consign the hand-me-down stuff and 2nd hand stuff I've cobbled together over the years and invest in some HIFI equipment I really want.

What I need is a good amplifier to go with me Beogram 4000 and my home built CJ Rodgers transmission line speakers. These transmission lines contain a b139 bass drivers, b110 mids, plus a kef t27 and a 4001g supertweater. As you can imagine these are fairly big units so I need something pretty heafty to drive them well (the nearer 100w rms the better) and work with the Beogram.

My budget is around £500 really, but that's the top range of what I can afford. Any ideas? I'd love something more classic like a quad 34/405 but they're not going to be able to give me the warmer sound I want. I've thought of an audiolab 8000s or a naim 5i? Thoughts???

Rob

matthewpiano

If you could find an older Sansui amp in really nice condition it would work beautifully. I'm thinking of something like an AU-999. You might have to be patient and you might have to get it serviced when you get one but they are fabulous amps and would work superbly in your system, giving you power and warmth.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting stunning results from good old NAD C326BEE - 50 watts, smooth sound, available for less than £300. You'd need a good phono stage like a Rega Fono (<£200) but that's still well within your budget.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I'm getting stunning results from good old NAD C326BEE - 50 watts, smooth sound, available for less than £300. You'd need a good phono stage like a Rega Fono (<£200) but that's still well within your budget.

I can vouch for the NAD C326BEE, but with the OP's budget I'd look at the next model up the C356BEE with 80W RMS. The thing with NAD amplifiers is they sound much more than what they are rated at, as they have large reserves of power on tap for musical dynamics. They also sound BIG and full.

I don't know why the OP want's or needs near 100W as that kind of power isn't really neccesarry. Also like I say a typical NAD of 50W can deliver 100W at 8 ohms.

OP What are the impedance and sensitivity ratings of your custom made speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts