What amplifier for Dali Zensor 3

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I know there are similar threads, I have read most of them but didn't reach any conclusion. I am looking to replace my system (old Cambridge Audio A5 + Energy CB-20s) with the Dali Zensor 3 plus a matching amp that I have yet to find.

I am looking at the standard options Marantz (5004), Rotel, Cambridge Audio (Topaz M5 for cheap), NAD C316BEE and Yamaha (a-s500) options but I any specific recommendations from people that have the Zensor 3 and have experimented are more than welcome. I am probably going for a relatively budget-y option for now and I am also thinking older good amps if I can find them used, or stick with the M5 till I have some more cash and get something better.

Also, has anyone else had the CB-20s and the Zensor 3? I am hoping it will be a big improvement (CB-20s + A5 have a rather nice sound, but bass is pretty boomy-in a bad way- clarity is not great and midrange is rather indifferent), I am a musician and listen mostly to jazz and classical (some rock and electronic too) so detail and warmth (specially in the mids) is very desirable. Feel free to comment on speaker choice around this price :)

Oh, the room is bit bigger than 4x4, high ceiling..

Thanks a lot!

Panos

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
replying as the forum won't let me edit.. I am also looking at the Marantz PM 6005 that is recommended but it's over my budget and if I pay that money I am wondering if I can get something better used etc..

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I found my Dali's needed a bit of running in before they sounded their best. The Pioneer A30 is a good budget amp. if you have a small to medium sized room and listen at moderate levels this would be a great choice as the zensor 3 are quite easy to drive according to the specs. if you want a bit more power there are plenty other budget amps.

Also worth getting some decent stands for the new speakers.

iancass

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have had these speakers before with the pioneer A30 amplifier and found it a tad bright in my opinion. I recon a Rega Brio amplifier would give you that detail you crave but you may have you extend your budget a bit more.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
iancass said:
I have had these speakers before with the pioneer A30 amplifier and found it a tad bright in my opinion. I recon a Rega Brio amplifier would give you that detail you crave but you may have you extend your budget a bit more.

Okay, in that case it is probably the zensors which are adding brighness. With the Lektors the Pioneer isn't the least bit bright, if anything its on the warm side - more like a tube amp.

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
So I guess (vintage options excluded as I haven't found something good that I can try near me) it comes to:

budget: - Pioneer A30 ( 230 euro) VS Nad C310BEE (280 euro)

mid-price: - Marantz PM 6004/6005 (? / 440 euro) vs - Nad C320BEE ( 456 euro)

There is also a used Yamaha a-s500 that I just found, about 200 euro, any opinion on that? I read good things, how would it compete the PM 6005 on sound quality?

Thanks again guys, it's getting close :)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If Matthewpiano is around he has owned pretty much all of the budget amps and also the speakers (zensors) so will probably offer some good advice. In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend & which you like the best when you audition.

Don't forget the source you will use is important. So if its a computer rip/download at the highest quality you can.

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Just connected the Zensor 3s and out of the box paired with my old Camridge Audio M5 sound already waaay better than the CB-20.. Sound is full, detail is GREAT and the bass is finally tight.. Tad trebly but I'm sure it's a matter of time to break them in.. Great speakers :)

Probably will be saving some cash for the Marantz (6004 or 6005).. Also considerint the Thule Audio Spirit IA-100 that I found used for cheap and read good things.. Anybody with experience with that?

matthewpiano

NAD and Dali are a nice match. A used C325BEE would be good or maybe a new 3020D which would have added flexibility over most options.

Avoid the Cambridge Topaz stuff. Its awful and nowhere near good enough for those speakers.

The PM6005 is good but 440 is too much. The Pioneer A30 is a capable bargain, as is the Demon PMA720AE.

If you could find a used Rega Brio 3 or Brio R it would be a fine buy and extremely musical.

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
What about an old Sansui AU-555A that I found for a decent price with a recent recap? There is also the option of a Creek 5350 SE for relatively cheap but I read very contradictory stuff for those, as I did for the Rega Mira 3.. Not sure if the harsh critique was given the high price tag for a new of both of those..

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
refreshing this, I have the following options

- Sansui AU-555A for 250

- a used Rega Mira 3 for 370

- creek 5350 SE for 350 (!)

- yamaha AS500 for 200

- new PM6005 for 440

it's not getting easier as time goes by.. :)

panosy

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
The Sansui AU-555A is in the house.. With it and the Zensor 3 I listened to some tracks that I know very well (Mingus, Grant Green's idle moments, Peacocks by Bill Evans and Stan Getz and Mahler's 2nd ;)).. I never listened to those this way.. Detail and clarity are almost overwhelming.. On the first day this sounds like a great great match.. I'm off to listen some more, thank you all for the insight and help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts