Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Hello,
My name is Asen.

My current audio setup is:
Topping pa3s (amplifier)
Topping d50s (dac)
Fanless pc + Daphile os (audio streamer)
Dali Zensor 5 (speakers)

My question is whether the Dali Oberon 1 would be a better solution for me.
I don't have an option to pre-audition.
The room is 18.5 (6 x 3.5) square meters, and the speakers are located on the long wall.
Thanks 😊

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi. What do you find wrong with your system atm?
I made two changes to my audio setup. I had to change the position of the loudspeakers and now they are on the long wall. The distance to the listening position is 1.80 meters. I also replaced the old amp with Topping pa3s.
The sound is detailed but also too clinical for me. I love my Zensor 5,
but I think their spacing comes up short.

I'm wondering if I should try bookshelf speakers or replace the Topping d50s with another dac.

Greetings

My hunch is you’d be disappointed with small stand-mount speakers after the larger, floorstanding Zensor 5. That said, of their type, the Oberon range are very enjoyable. Can you not try something richer sounding, like Q Acoustic 3050i? Or Wharfedale Diamond 12.3?

I’ve no idea what Topping amps sound like, and I guess you didn’t either. Where are you living that restricts your auditioning?

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
My hunch is you’d be disappointed with small stand-mount speakers after the larger, floorstanding Zensor 5. That said, of their type, the Oberon range are very enjoyable. Can you not try something richer sounding, like Q Acoustic 3050i? Or Wharfedale Diamond 12.3?

I’ve no idea what Topping amps sound like, and I guess you didn’t either. Where are you living that restricts your auditioning?
I'm considering replacing with a bookshelf because of the short listening distance.
I also forgot to mention that I have a limited budget ($300) which is also a factor 🙂.

matthewpianist

The Zensor 5s are fine with that listening distance, helped by Dali's wide dispersion tweeters, and they are far from clinical. They are however revealing of upstream electronics, and if you were happy with the sound before you changed amplifier I would look in that direction first.

You don't need to spend a great deal on a secondhand amplifier to get something that's right, and Marantz makes an excellent match for Dali.

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
The Zensor 5s are fine with that listening distance, helped by Dali's wide dispersion tweeters, and they are far from clinical. They are however revealing of upstream electronics, and if you were happy with the sound before you changed amplifier I would look in that direction first.

You don't need to spend a great deal on a secondhand amplifier to get something that's right, and Marantz makes an excellent match for Dali.
Thanks for the reply, I'll think about it…

rainsoothe

I'd also point to the amp for now - audition a Marantz, just as mr Matthew suggested - or even go for a used one. Can be any Marantz ranging from the PM 6004 to the 6007. That's what I'd do in any case, and I'm almost 100% sure that will solve your issue. Hell, even a Cambridge Audio AXA 35 is worh a try, it's surprisingly good.

Reactions: matthewpianist

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
I'd also point to the amp for now - audition a Marantz, just as mr Matthew suggested - or even go for a used one. Can be any Marantz ranging from the PM 6004 to the 6007. That's what I'd do in any case, and I'm almost 100% sure that will solve your issue. Hell, even a Cambridge Audio AXA 35 is worh a try, it's surprisingly good.
I switched to a class D amp because of the lack of space as well. Now my whole setup is extremely compact. But we'll see, I might change the amp later.

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
I did a test with several settings, listening to the Chantal Chamberland - Temptation cd and its cd rip :

Fiio X1 -> Topping pa3s -> Dali Zensor5
Onkyo DX 1400 -> Topping pa3s -> Dali Zensor 5
PC (Daphile) -> Topping d50s -> Dali Zensor 5
Sony blu ray player -> Topping d50s -> Dali Zensor5

I liked my old Fiio X1(Texas Instruments PCM5142 + OPA2322) and Onkyo DX 1400(PCM 61P + LM4562) player. The sound is not as clean and detailed as in the settings with Topping d50s + Topping pa3s, but it is more fun and less burdensome.
The opposite of the other combination at some point starts to burden me and makes listening tiring.
These are subjective findings based on my listening preferences.

I did a test with several settings, listening to the Chantal Chamberland - Temptation cd and its cd rip :

I liked my old Fiio X1(Texas Instruments PCM5142 + OPA2322) and Onkyo DX 1400(PCM 61P + LM4562) player. The sound is not as clean and detailed as in the settings with Topping d50s + Topping pa3s, but it is more fun and less burdensome.
The opposite of the other combination at some point starts to burden me and makes listening tiring.
Well, you’ve established in your own mind how you want it to sound. Obviously, you can’t exclude familiarity with a certain sound, but sources and amplifiers don’t all sound the same, I’m sure of that.

Reactions: Assen DM

rainsoothe

Then +1 for the Rega Io suggestion. But do audition a Marantz as well. Again, I don't think a speaker change will solve your issues.

Reactions: Assen DM

Assen DM

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Yes, the speakers are ok. It's just that the Topping d50s + Topping pa3s combination is not my thing.
Maybe swapping the dac for a different one… I'll also consider the Rega IO.
Currently have TEAC UD-H01 dac , second hand cheap or new Cambridge audio dacmagic 100…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts