Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had this package for about 2 years on a 5.1 set up but due to moving house and my twin boys starting to find their feet I want to move the rears out of harms way. I am looking at replacing the rears with in ceiling speakers. I understand that to "sonically balance" all the speakers should be of the same type or at least the same manufacturer. Can any shed any light on this or suggest a suitable speaker for the Diamond 9.0 HCP package?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought instead of buying wall brackets for your existing rears? Rear speakers can work very well high up (six feet or so) and firing down/in at your listening position...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the sofa is right up against the back wall , so speakers on the wall would be firing straight over our heads especially the diamond 9.0 as they are quite deep so don't get any real clearance off the wall to tilt downwards. I am unable to mount on the side walls either due to the shape of the room and window placement.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
How about the Diamond 9.DFS? Designed to be placed on the wall, they'll spread the rear surround sounds effectively so it doesn't matter they're on the wall, firing sound above you. Basically the equivalent to the Mission 78ds I was using a few years back when my sofa was flat back against the wall and the surround sound was very good from these. Admittedly not as good as true dedicated rear speaker when there's space behind the sofa, but compromises have to be made for living room layout / curious children!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip and the link, I'll have a look. Do you think that something like the DFS would be preferable over a couple of in ceiling speakers?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends what the in-ceiling speakers were I guess. My only worry would be if they are above you, the sound isn't really going to sound like it's coming from behind you is it? Unless there's some clever technology involved I'm not aware of...

A

Anonymous

Your speakers don't have to go on the 'back wall', particularly if your sofa is tight against it. Can you place them on each of the side walls to get surround rather than rear sound ? This way it's easier to aim at your sitting position and you can sit them higher.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="andyb190"]
Your speakers don't have to go on the 'back wall', particularly if your sofa is tight against it. Can you place them on each of the side walls to get surround rather than rear sound ? This way it's easier to aim at your sitting position and you can sit them higher.

[/quote]

Edit

And therefore out of the way of your windows. (Sorry clicked wrong button)

TRENDING THREADS