Wall shelf

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Looking good...

Stomp around.

*biggrin*

I know my expectation bias is probably off the scale, and I haven't done any kind of strict A-B comparision, but I've been quite surprised by the change I've perceived.

I've listened to a few albums that I know very well, such as 'Abbey Road' by the Beatles (on MFSL), 'Sky 1', Andrew Lloyd Webber 'Variations', Vangelis 'China' and Fleetwood Mac 'Mirage'. Across the board I've perceived a sharper, crisper midrange with better separation between the instruments. Vocals and lead instruments are crisper and better projected in the mixes. I did however at first think I'd lost some bass, but no it's still there, just tighter and better controlled, and less grumbly. The sound has taken a big leap towards the kind of overall clarity and definition I take for granted from a digital source. There also seems to be slightly less vinyl-roar on better-pressed albums such as the MFSL 'Abbey Road', for no reason that I can easily explain, but one way or another it's all just physics.

I reckon this is easily the best £15 I've ever spent on an upgrade.

I have decided though that I'm going to drill an extra hole to secure each bracket to the wall above the arm. I didn't really consider that turning the brackets round would leave an 8kg load secured to the wall only from beneath the arm, and it worries me that in time the weight will lever the bracket loose. But that's a job for another day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts