Vodafone rip-off

Vodafone has its own software installed on Android devices including Music & AppSelect. I have an HTC Sensation phone.
Vodafone's software does not work over Wi-Fi, obviously to earn from data charges. What's worse is, it periodically wants to install updates (again, not possible over Wi-Fi) without telling you the data size of update. We run the risk of exceeding our data allowance.

Is this even legal?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
is this only on the HTC I have had my phone for 5 months and no charges before however I just got a bill this month for £150 of data charges, I used my phone literally to show a friend a video on youtube and don't usually but was then charge nearly every single day for data packs moving forward - my fault as left phone on roaming but i never used it for anything really not happy this month! Only got bill today for last month so prob got another 20 days of charges to come again not happy!!!

I'm talking about updates on Vodafone AppSelect (even though I've never downloaded anything from AppSelect), not android updates. It's not possible to do it via my laptop. It's not possible that Vodafone won't charge for data. If that was the case, they should've allowed it over wifi as well. Why clog your own network for free?

AppSelect is an unnecessary programme which you can't even delete legally.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
You need to root your phone then you can download and apply various ROM'S that are available, as mentioned the xda site will tell you all you need , risk is minimal as you can revert back to original supplied ROM. I've no experinece of the HTC but have a basic Vodafone 845 which i rooted and use bespoke ROM which really speeds it up . Check outstanding bugs / things to do on any ROM you are thinking of as on mine FM radio doesn't work as they don't have the correct drivers (not an issue to me but maybe to some)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Have you checked that Vodafone will actually charge you for their own updates? They may be free (I doubt it, but they might be!).

10 houspoints to The_Lhc

I've asked the appropriate people at work and All AppSelect traffic and Vodafone Music Track downloads are zero rated for data.

I'm not going to get in to a debate about rooting phones and network specific software though. Last time I got involved in a topic on Vodafone I got some stick from some members - so my work here is done :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
The_Lhc said:
Have you checked that Vodafone will actually charge you for their own updates? They may be free (I doubt it, but they might be!).

10 houspoints to The_Lhc

I've asked the appropriate people at work and All AppSelect traffic and Vodafone Music Track downloads are zero rated for data.

Really? 'me I'm good! That's really quite logical of Vodafone, I'm impressed. Surprised but impressed!

Lee H said:
The_Lhc said:

10 houspoints to The_Lhc

I'm not going to get in to a debate about rooting phones and network specific software though. Last time I got involved in a topic on Vodafone I got some stick from some members - so my work here is done :)

Vodafone customer service on the phone told me that all data will be charged, including AppSelect.

This is the email they sent me as well:

I understand your concern about the size of the software update and data allowance let on your account. You can get information about the data allowance left on your account from your online account.

This will help you to keep your usage under your allowance.

I trust this information helps.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
BB, I'm surrounded by the people that design these products & services and they tell me it's free.

As I said, I don't want to get drawn further in to this kind of topic as I got burnt last time (no reflection on you) and I come to this forum on a purely personal basis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts