Using an adapter in order to use the XLR type connection?

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My 8200CD has an XLR output but my 8200A only RCA input, I'm thinking of using an adaper (Male RCA to Female XLR) on the 8200A so that I can use an XLR cable.

Question is is it worth spending $100 for an adapter & will I get the quality of XLR with it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't bother: the benefits of an XLR balanced connection will be negated if one end isn't balanced, as is the case in your situation. You could buy a cable with XLR on one end and phono on the other if you want, or try using conventional cables with XLR-to-phono adapters at the CD player end, to see whether the XLR output on the player sounds better. Such adapters will cost you under £10 each from places like Maplin, but I suspect you won't hear much difference, if any.

To do things the way you want really needs a cabled female XLR to phono plug adapter – in other words the XLR and phono joined with a short length of cable: there are solid adapters of this kind available, again for around a tenner, but you're likely to find the phono sockets on the amp are too close together to allow you to use them, and the weight and leverage effect of such a solid adapter is going to put a lot of strain on the amp's sockets.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother: the benefits of an XLR balanced connection will be negated if one end isn't balanced, as is the case in your situation. You could buy a cable with XLR on one end and phono on the other if you want, or try using conventional cables with XLR-to-phono adapters at the CD player end, to see whether the XLR output on the player sounds better. Such adapters will cost you under £10 each from places like Maplin, but I suspect you won't hear much difference, if any.

To do things the way you want really needs a cabled female XLR to phono plug adapter – in other words the XLR and phono joined with a short length of cable: there are solid adapters of this kind available, again for around a tenner, but you're likely to find the phono sockets on the amp are too close together to allow you to use them, and the weight and leverage effect of such a solid adapter is going to put a lot of strain on the amp's sockets.

Thanks a lot for the input, Andrew, highly appreciate it.

Best regards, Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts