Balanced xlr using optical input

jlsole73

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
I'm currently thinking of upgrading my audio setup to a balanced xlr connection. I currently have a schiit modious and looking to get a magnius. I've been reading that the main reason to go balanced is the audio signal is less noisy. Does this even matter if using an optical input that already has no noise ? Please no reply for advice on audio gear..I realize schiit is not "the best"..just want to know about optical question. Thank you

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my audio setup to a balanced xlr connection. I currently have a schiit modious and looking to get a magnius. I've been reading that the main reason to go balanced is the audio signal is less noisy. Does this even matter if using an optical input that already has no noise ? Please no reply for advice on audio gear..I realize schiit is not "the best"..just want to know about optical question. Thank you
I doubt very much you will hear anything different unless you have a really long cable run.
This type of connection is more secure but that's about it. Unless you already own XLR cables I wouldn't waste your money.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello

To add to the replies above, usually the answer is no, but their are exceptions

1. If you are encountering noise generated as a result of a ground loop, XLR is preferred to RCA as it reduces/eliminates this noise (depending on how significant that is). The exception here is Amplifiers that have a 'ground lift' switch where this can be made a non-issue by lifting the ground.
2. If you are using high impedence headphones e.g. 250Ohm upwards, some headphone amplifiers provide more power on a balanced circuit than single ended to drive these headphones. To take advantage of this you will require XLR cables. Looking at the Magnius specs it provides almost 3 times the amount of power Balanced over single ended which is impressive to put it mildly.

In terms of other noise variables, that depends on the DAC and AMP in question. Audio Science Review is a useful stop if you want to look at measured performance of individual devices. This includes your Schiit DAC and the Schiit AMP you are looking to buy.

Reactions: jlsole73

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts