Upgrading pc audio for 300 pounds

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for some change in my audio system. Currently I'm using yamaha pianocraft mcr-750 connected to my pc integrated card. Yamaha system is great for music, never heard such a great sound, but it lacks some decent kick in games or movies.

In the past i had genius sp-hf2000x, they were decent low budget 2.0 pc dedicated speakers, they weren't even close to yamaha in case of music, but on other fields they had decent kick.

I'm looking for some second hand solution under 300, since next year i will change something again:)

I am wondering what to buy now, prodigy cube dac + some passive speakers for yamaha, or maybe completly new system? I will be glad to hear some advice.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yamaha HS5 active monitors and Behringer UCA-202 DAC.

Secondhand you could probably find some Yamaha HS7 monitors within your budget or maybe some slightly older but more potent Yamaha HS80M monitors.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Yamaha HS series are outstanding value, even new. Buy whichever you are comfortable with price wise. The older models are decent enough though the new ones are better, secondhand may not be an advantage unless you are pretty sure they have not been given a hard life in a studio setup.

If you have decent analogue out from your soundcard, just get the HS7s.

If you really want to look at alternatives, try these online retailers....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html?sid=fcd96e36bbb9f49d14c3eafe1a102754

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Studio-Monitors.htm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

I recently heard Yamaha HS5s and KRK Rokit RP5s together here. The Rokits were excellent (smooth and open) and the Yamahas extremely edgy and harsh.

I'd go for this ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRK-Rokit-Monitors-Pair-Scarlett/dp/B00FWREVNI

That is almost the complete opposite of my experience, it is the Rokits that always seem 'shouty' to me.

Assuming it was not an eq issue, both models have wide ranging adjustments on the rear panel, then maybe the latest G3 models are an improvement, not sure if I have heard them or not.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Another option if you can find some(discontinued I think) is a pair of M-Audio DSM-1 speakers. May be slightly overbudget, but they include built in DAC and a digital input. They sound pretty good too.

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
RockIt looks quite amazing, and has front bass reflex which is nice when you want to save some space.

However, after reading some texts over internet i found that Yamaha may be better for me.

I realise that they can be great deal new, but if you are constantly juggling with hardware, you like to buy it as cheap as possible, to reduce potential loss, when selling. So I'm looking for some bargain on Yamaha, and I will try KRK RP5 as soon as possible to make sure they will/won't fit to my preferences. However, still I will search for other options, since with more options it will be easier to find great deal.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

I recently heard Yamaha HS5s and KRK Rokit RP5s together here. The Rokits were excellent (smooth and open) and the Yamahas extremely edgy and harsh.

I'd go for this ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRK-Rokit-Monitors-Pair-Scarlett/dp/B00FWREVNI

That is almost the complete opposite of my experience, it is the Rokits that always seem 'shouty' to me.

Assuming it was not an eq issue, both models have wide ranging adjustments on the rear panel, then maybe the latest G3 models are an improvement, not sure if I have heard them or not.

Same here.. I went with an open mind to audition some actives and Rokits were least impressive, muffled - anything but smooth and open.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts