Upgrading from Marantz CD63 II Ki Signature

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping to upgrade my Marantz CD63 II KI Signature CD player, which after nearly 12 years, is no longer working. Would the Marantz CD6003 be a reasonable replacement and would it compare in terms of performance? The KI, when working, gave me many hours of outstanding sound quality but I was wondering if a similarly priced current model CD player would match the CD63II KI, given advances in technology over the years? I am also using a NADC350 integrated amplifier, still working reasonably well after a decade. My speakers are Bose 301 Sonata (Series III Limited Edition), which after 13 years are showing their age and also due for an upgrade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you!

Mr Morph:Might be worth repairing the CD63 KI Siggy if possible?

Regards your sig / bio the answer is no.

It appears to be a list, a record is a thin black vinyl disc with a hole in the middle.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Have the same cd player, not worth repairing ive been told. Would be pricy and then the laser is prob due to go and it cannot be replaced. Brill cd player even in todays money but hey ho - look for your next sound investment.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I have spent the last few days attempting to have the 63KI repaired but without success. Replacement parts for the transport are not easily available and certainly not cost-effective. I've made some inquiries at local HiF dealers in Perth about the pricing of the Marantz CD6003. Rather disappointingly, the 6003 which retails for £300 in the UK, is listed at AUD$899, which defies logic, given the current exchange rates (should equate to around AUD$470). Anyway, I'm awaiting pricing and availability on the Audiolab 8200CD-seems that there is only one distributor in entire Australia.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the CD6003 isn't good value at $899. It is a pretty good CDP if it were around $400-500. Still, it might be worth auditioning along with some other brands so you can judge for yourself whether it sounds like good value.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have the marantz cd-63se, I have compared it to the marantz 6002, 7001. I found the marantz cd63se a more musical machine, the others maybe slightly more refined, but the 63se had better, - more natural mids with better soundstage depth. Its only when you move up to the rega apollo, creek evo and consonance cd-120 linear did you get better machines ( in the $1200 + pricerange). I even preferred the marantz over the arcam cd73t, better punch for rock and sparkle up top. I bought the consonance cd-120 linear from osborn in Melbourne, the same musical midband with extra detail etc.

The audiolab sounds like a good machine from the reviews. Remember the marantz ki was around 500 pounds in its day so comparable would be over $1000 today.

Cheers

Steve.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
AKMH:Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I have spent the last few days attempting to have the 63KI repaired but without success. Replacement parts for the transport are not easily available and certainly not cost-effective. I've made some inquiries at local HiF dealers in Perth about the pricing of the Marantz CD6003. Rather disappointingly, the 6003 which retails for £300 in the UK, is listed at AUD$899, which defies logic, given the current exchange rates (should equate to around AUD$470). Anyway, I'm awaiting pricing and availability on the Audiolab 8200CD-seems that there is only one distributor in entire Australia.

Who told you it would be difficult to source replacement parts? Are they a competent technician? I only ask because I thought a lot of the Marantz mechanical parts were interchangable between players (some had practically the same chasis). The other day I came across a Marantz CD48 going for £30 in a second hand shop, and I'd be surprised if the transport section was any different to the Siggy? But I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong?

There are a lot of tech's out there that don't tell you the whole story (mainly because some are lazy), so sometimes it's worth a second opinion.

A

Anonymous

If it's the laser itself, you can find replacement parts easily - google on VAM1202/12. It's also fairly easy to replace - see here: http://iangclark.net/projects/CD63/CD63.html

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash:
If it's the laser itself, you can find replacement parts easily - google on VAM1202/12. It's also fairly easy to replace - see here: http://iangclark.net/projects/CD63/CD63.html

Slightly quicker than me Grottyash, I was going to say something similar

Try looking this up, this is the optical pickup you need, comes complete with spindle motor too.

I replaced mine last year cost me £29.99 in the UK you might be able to find one in your area. Just search for this

Philips CDM12.1 (VAM202/12)

Still readily available and is simple to fit if you are Ok about using a soldering iron to unsolder and re-solder 4 wires, and removing a few screws with a Philips screwdriver.

This website shows a Guy replacing the parts on a CD46, it uses the same transport.
http://diyparadise.com/cd46/cd46repair.html

Help me a lot. I replaced my laser assembly in 40 minutes.

Hope this might inspire you to not dump the CD63 just yet

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Great posts from above, and shows that sometimes people give up too easily. Lost count of technicians that stand there rubbing their chin saying 'tch, tch.. Very difficult job that!' NOT my kind of technician.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your excellent posts and valuable suggestions. I was able to have the laser assembly replaced on my CD63II KI, but the loading mechanism does not work due to a malfunctioning/broken internal component. Unfortunately, a replacement part is not available at the present time in my area. I am therefore considering the Marantz CD60003 which I am shopping around for a competitive price and would like to match with the Yamaha A-S500 amplifier (I am donating my 11 years old NADC350 amp to a family member). Still wondering if the highly rated CD6003 compares with the 63KI in terms of sound quality? Based on my listening selection of mostly instrumental music (new age/acoustic/smooth jazz), I have thought about the Bose 301 Series V speakers with Chord Co cables. Would, however, welcome any alternative speaker suggestions. Thank you kindly.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that the CD6003 will actually measure up to the 63 Siggy. The Siggy was an expensive machine in it's day, and extemely well engineered. You're talking £1000 equivalent in today's money.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get the replacement part for your machine, but then again, this thread has died before, so some knowledgeable fellow out there might just know where to find the parts. Alternatively, pick up a second hand player with the same transport, and do a transplant.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your informative response Mr Morph. Would the award-winning Audiolab 8200CD be a comparable replacement for the CD63II KI in terms of audio-quality, or would I have to aim for a £1000+ CD player, as you suggested? At present, it does appear that my 63KI has died and the upgrade path appears to be the only viable option. Thanks in advance.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
AKMH:Thank you for your informative response Mr Morph. Would the award-winning Audiolab 8200CD be a comparable replacement for the CD63II KI in terms of audio-quality, or would I have to aim for a £1000+ CD player, as you suggested? At present, it does appear that my 63KI has died and the upgrade path appears to be the only viable option. Thanks in advance.

That is a fascinating question! Mainly because the designer of the Audiolab 8200 has been responsible for some fantastic digital equipment in his time, and I have used one of his D/A converters for years now very happily and still don't want to upgrade 15 years on!. But the truth about the Audiolab is, I can't tell you, because I haven't heard it. However, definately give it a listen because from what I've heard, What Hi-Fi rate it. As ever when trying to compare kit there's nothing like auditioning for yourself. Given John Westlake's reputation, it probably will be something out of the ordinary.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I auditioned the Audiolab before Christmas and was very impressed, it seemed to dig a little more info from the disc among other things, however, I wasn't able to audition it with the rest of my equipment. I am confident it will be at least a match for the KI Sig, but I'm sure if you hung out long enough you'll be able to find a solution to the repair issue. I've also listened to a 6003, which was within my current set up, and I enjoyed it, but it was no way near as good as the Sig, but good value over here at the moment, as it can be had for £250.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I would say the 63 KI version, is better than the 6003, I heard the 6002 and it certaintly wasnt as good as the older marantz. You need to go at least up to the rega apollo for an overall improvement in sound.

Cheers

Steve.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Yamaha CD-S2000 CD player? I haven't yet been able to find an audio dealer for the Audiolab 8200CD (my preferred option) in Perth, Western Australia, but the Yamaha is available. I have noticed the 4-star review but am undecided at this stage, hoping to arrange a listening session with the local dealer.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
AKMH:Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Yamaha CD-S2000 CD player? I haven't yet been able to find an audio dealer for the Audiolab 8200CD (my preferred option) in Perth, Western Australia, but the Yamaha is available. I have noticed the 4-star review but am undecided at this stage, hoping to arrange a listening session with the local dealer.

Let us know how you get on, would be interested to know?

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply with your informative posts (especially Mr Morph and Frank from FrankHarvey HiFi). I eventually settled for the Audiolab 8200CD which I am finding to be more than a worthy replacement/upgrade from my defunct Marantz 63KI. The Audiolab sound has a superb dynamic character and I can fully appreciate the rave reviews and awards. In comparison, the Yamaha CDS-2000 on auditioning, was also quite good but somewhat warm and restrained and pricier than the Audiolab. Quite interestingly, the remote control for the Audiolab somehow also controls the volume for my new Cambridge Audio 840A amp, even though they are not IR connected to each other. I would also definitely recommend using the Audiolab with XLR balanced interconnects over RCA cables, if feasible, as the sound quality is distinctly better (enhanced sound-staging and stereo-imaging with excellent dynamic headroom).

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
AKMH:Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply with your informative posts (especially Mr Morph and Frank from FrankHarvey HiFi). I eventually settled for the Audiolab 8200CD which I am finding to be more than a worthy replacement/upgrade from my defunct Marantz 63KI. The Audiolab sound has a superb dynamic character and I can fully appreciate the rave reviews and awards. In comparison, the Yamaha CDS-2000 on auditioning, was also quite good but somewhat warm and restrained and pricier than the Audiolab. Quite interestingly, the remote control for the Audiolab somehow also controls the volume for my new Cambridge Audio 840A amp, even though they are not IR connected to each other. I would also definitely recommend using the Audiolab with XLR balanced interconnects over RCA cables, if feasible, as the sound quality is distinctly better (enhanced sound-staging and stereo-imaging with excellent dynamic headroom).

You're very welcome, and I'm glad I caught your post.

I figured from your comments that you wouldn't have a appreciated a lot of the lower end players and DAC's. Having lived with a 'Westlake' DAC for over a decade, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy for a long time to come, and probably re-discover a lot of music that you thought you knew well. Happy listening!

A

Anonymous

Hi AKMH, glad to hear that you are have solved your dilemna re: CD player choice. What have you done with the good old CD63 KI Signature? It would be worth considering using it as a 'project' if you are interested. I have repaired a few of these including the CD4000, CD67, KI etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts