Upgrade Time

KJH

May 11, 2010
Visit site
[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]I have the standard budget system from about 8 years ago.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]NAD 352 Amplifier.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]NAD C 541i CD player[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"] [/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Originally I had the Acoustic Energy EVO speakers, but they sounded terrible against a wall.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]The Monitor Audio speakers saved the day and sound great.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]The room is 10ft by 20ft and the speakers have to work across the 10ft width of the room.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Both speakers are against the wall and one is in a corner, which I know is not ideal.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Music tastes are pop and classical.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]I have £1,000 to spend on an upgrade, but feel undecided where best to spend this.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Maybe a Cyrus CD player, but will it go with the rest of the set up.[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Regards[/size=3 face]

[size=3 face="Times New Roman"]Keith.[/size=3 face]

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Instead of spending it all on one component I'd probably split the budget and spend 3/4 on new speakers and whats left on a newer cdp or DAC or maybe 50/50 split between speakers and cdp. But I think the 352 is fine to stay for a bit longer. If you spend the entire budget on the Cyrus then your amp and speakers will probably not show up the CDP's potential at its best. Do your current monitor audio speakers have stands to sit on? If not it would be worth investing in some. Also you might want to think about upgrading your cables/interconnects depending on what you already have but obviously the most impact will come from changing components. Hope this helps

KJH

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello Blackdawn, thank you for the reply.

Yes the speakers are on stands with Silver Anniversary cable used for the speakers.

Any speaker upgrade would need to be speakers that don't mind being against a wall.

Not ideal, but that is the only way I can get them in the room layout.

Thanks.

Keith.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Here are some components i'd be looking at for an upgrade. The problem is not many speakers sound so good stuck up against a wall in the corner. Speakers i'd be looking at in no particular order-

Focal Chorus 706v
Mordaunt short Mezzo 2
Dali Ikon 1 or Lektor 2
Tannoy Revelation Signiture DC4 or DC6
Bowers and Wilkins 685

-The Lektors can be hung from a wall so you don't have to have them in the corner. Thats how I had mine for a while. Sounded fine. Better than stuck in a corner against two walls!

CDP -
Rega Apollo
Pioneer PD-D6-J
NAD C545BEE

You might also consider the second-hand route as an alternative as it may offer better product for the same money.

Cheers

KJH

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello Blackdawn,

Sorry for the delay I have been away for a couple of weeks, so catching up now.

Thanks for your input, I will certainly consider some of your suggestions.

Best Regards

Keith.

A

Anonymous

Have a listen to Totem speakers, they should suit your tastes pretty well. Other options would be the Dynaudio focus series, or Spendors.

I'd be inclined to look at a component by component upgrade, rather than trying to upgrade all your components in one go, which could end up being no more than a sideways move.

SteveR750

I'd agree - unless you are only going to spend £1000 period, then spend all of it one component, you will get an improvement if done wisely, and its future proofed. Splitting that much over new kit isn't going to move your sound on much, and will be much more costly in the long run to get to the same end point....

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar set to you with the NAD set up, I spent £1000 on these speakers http://www.ultrafi.com/Articles/VA-Shnbrg.htm they sound stunning and fit will against a wall. They are currently being compared against some £5K speakers and, not unexpectedly are not as good but they are asking some serious questions of the Dalis.

They have lasted two further upgrades (CDP and DAC) and the CDP is still being used as a transport. (and I have just auditioned some high end transports and I prefer the NAD.

I agree with the previous comments though about spending your money on one well thought.

Happy auditioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts