Upcoming films being shot in 4k?

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Which films are going to be shot in this format?

I think I heard something about the upcoming Hobbit film being shot in 4k, but am not sure.

Is there a site online with regards to this information?

or just any films you know of being shot in this format coming out soon.

I intend to watch it at the apollo cinema at leicster square where they have the Sony 4k digital cinema.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There have been many films that have been recorded in 4K in the past 6-7 years, and that number will grow. David Fincher's The Social Network, and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo were all shot in 4K, as will all of his subsequent films, as well as Knowing and District 9 also.

You'll find that some film studios have started converting their analogue film to 4K or 8K digital masters, and are remastering them for the format.

The "Red One" digital camera used for these films is reported to have a future upgrade path up to 28K....

Good times ahead :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep. 4K masters were made of all the James Bond movies when they did the Blu-ray transfers. There'll be 4K cinema showings of various Bond films to celebrate the 50th anniversary this year - ahead of the complete Blu-ray collection being released. The next Bond movie - Skyfall - is also being shot in 4K.

Also due out is a 4K cinema release (followed by Blu-ray) of Laurence of Arabia - i've seen previews and it looks truly awesome...

Sony's 4K website - here - is good to catch up on latest releases; they're on Twitter, too - handy for news of latest 4K releases.

A

Anonymous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinematography

this gives a list of movies listed at the bottom that will be shot in 4K

I know the upcoming Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit'; releasing in December is going to be shot entirely in 4K

A

Anonymous

Can't wait to see Prometheus on IMAX soon! Although I must say part of me would rather be watching Blade Runner on 70mm ;) It's worth noting that many of these films are not being shot at 4k native however, The Hobbit and Prometheus for example are shooting 5k but viewings will be 4k / 35mm prints if it's not a digital cinema. Can't see it being too long before 8k becomes a shooting standard, which is closer to the 65/70mm stuff of years past.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
But isn't 35mm film, in effect, natively 4K?

IIRC, most of the hoopla re the Red Epic is that a digital camera now 'matches' 35mm film's resolution, but obviously the Epic has advantges re its frame-rate (for slow-mo), colour palette and abilities in low-light?

Which is why Christopher Nolan has extensively used Imax cameras (70mm film) for The Dark Knight Rises.

IMAX-camera-Nolan-Pfister-img.jpg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All this would be great if we had any way of playing such hi-res films at home via an affordable projector or TV.

As it stands, by 2012, the best home cinema I personally have ever experienced, in terms of picture quality, is still the 16mm movie-projector my dad used to own 30 years ago. It was second-hand and comparatively old, even then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts