UE65HU7500 OR 8500? HELP!

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I want to get the new 65" Samsung, viewing distance about 3m, not sure which is better, the curved or the flat model?

Check my thoughts on the 2 TVs based on the TV shootout I attended few months ago (scroll down a bit):

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/ultimate-shoot-out?page=3

Basically, I found reflections distracting on the curve due to concavity of the panel. Reflection of a buld looks stretched which was difficult to ignore. Besides, the 7500 was more uniformly backlit. But the 8500 has a separate box which can be upgraded in the future.

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
..even more difficult..

The seating position is against window, so back of the tv is towards the bay window, so hardly any light from behind me towards the screen..

if 8500 has faster motion rate, and deeper blacks, might as well go with the curve, as they are both the same price.

adding Pioneer sclx87 and Panasonic dmp700 should deal nicely??

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure that you will be very happy with whichever one you buy! What is your current television - model and size? Am I right in thinking that either 65" Samsung will be a big step up in size and quality over your present set?

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
This TV suffers from 'clouding' effect, and it only shows 60Hz when connected via amp..

this is resulting in uneven colors from dark to lighter, you can see the 'maps' of color graduation

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
rybzan said:
Both in person

in shop is difficult, as there is a lot of space around, livingroom is smaller and darker

I sit 2-7 ft away from my 55HU8500, i am very happy with my purchase the only complaint i have is that it can be a bit reflective, for example if you sit on one side and the window is on the other side, on the plus side it has a seperate box for your connections which is good if you intend to wall mount meaning you only have two cables going to the tv while the box can be hidden away.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
rybzan said:
This TV suffers from 'clouding' effect, and it only shows 60Hz when connected via amp..

this is resulting in uneven colors from dark to lighter, you can see the 'maps' of color graduation

Since you are troubled with clouding on your present set, you don't want to get another television with traces of the same fault. Bogboss says in post number 3 that the 7500 has the more uniform backlight when he saw them both at the shootout. You should also read this review of the 55HU7500 by Vincent Teoh, which specifically mentions that the backlight uniformity of the 7500 is better than on the 8500

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55hu7500-201405083761.htm

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Bigboss, you've not seen the thread that I've today created in the Home Cinema section. And ryzban, the thing that I mention in the thread contains yet another glowing review of the Samsung HU7500 series, this time of the 55-inch version.

Sorry to divert, I'll now stick to televisions in this thread!

TRENDING THREADS