UE48H6400 Grayscale Settings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
billybifocals said:
The reason why ive got RGB Full Range (HDMI) set to Full is because "Limited" delivers a more subdued, albeit more naturalistic, color range, while "Full" produces both brighter and richer tones on both ends of the spectrum. As a result of the "Full" spectrum, many intermediate shades get lost in the mix. On the other hand I find that "Full" is better for this particular samsung TV. Its all about preference at the end of the day. I can't see there being much difference from one identical model of this tv to another. That's as mad as saying one car built on an assembly line will have more horse power than an identical car built on the same assembly line. That makes no sense. The only thing that might cause differences is tv firmware. This tv automatically updates itself anyway.

What I am saying is that whilst the PS3 games will (In some cases, but mostly not) use the full RGB colour pallette, blurays and dvds are 8 bit and so all you're doing is converting the signal. As with any conversion going on, errors are than possible s it converts on the fly.

In other words, it could look worse than staying at LIMITED (Which its encoded in to start with : so no conversion going on)

Any ISF engineer would tell you that the same model number will have slightly different settings. Setting tvs has nothing to do with cars (Although I am 100% sure if you could measure the horse power very accurately, there certainly would be differences between the cars)

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
"What I am saying is that whilst the PS3 games will (In some cases, but mostly not) use the full RGB colour pallette, "

Are you a games expert as well as an all knowing tv calibration expert too? How do you know that most games dont support "Full" RGB colour? Have you personally checked with every developer out there or compiled some amazing list? And as for the horse power example, it was simply that, a ridiculous example that any dumbass could comprehend. I should have gone with another example such as 2 identical plastic cups created on an assembly line, but you'd only turn around and say something like "if you measured the water in the cups accurately enough you would find that one cup can hold more water than the other identical cup"..... the troll is strong with you. Lets just leave it at that. My useful settings are now drowning in irrelevant BS, cheers.

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I said 2 feet because a typical desktop pc is used when you're sat in front of a desk, you know, with a keyboard in front of your body so you can type... if you're sat further than 3 feet from a monitor your not going to be able to reach your keyboard to type with.

And you're telling me that movie mode doesn't look like a muddy brown mess on any tv? I think you need your eyes testing chief.

The following is an example:

http://prolost.com/blog/2011/3/28/your-new-tv-ruins-movies.html

Just look at the two screen shots of inception, with and without movie mode switched on, its an obvious frigging difference, I know which one id prefer to watch. Perhaps you could go troll on there instead.

Paul.

You should have gone with the cups because the engine analogy does not further your point, it actually supports the opposite. Any system with many parts has a huge amount of tolerance stack up, TVs and engines will vary. My engine is supposed to come out of the factory with 149hp, but judging by the forums they had anywhere between 142hp to 156hp. That is a huge amount of variation.

As with TVs, the huge amount of tolerance stackup will cause variations in picture output. They will be small variations, but they will be there. You only need to checkout the many "my panasonic tv is a duffer" threads to see the variation from panel to panel.

If you like the second inception image thats cool, set your TV how you like. The first image looks closer to how I would expect it to look, the second one has very poor unnatural skin tones to my eye.

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
The inception images were simply an example of how different an image with movie mode on or off actually looks. I was just pointing out how the movie mode image looks muddier in comparison. I would rather have something in between those two images. I cant stand retina burning high contrast modes, they're all turned off.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Billy :

I cant be bothered properly quoting as the software of this site is really bad to get around so I shall just go old school.
As far as I am aware, I actually created the thread and posted my own settings and further explained why I thought they 'might' be useful. If anyone is trolling, I would say its yourself as (Correct me if I am wrong here), your very first post was on my thread?

Instead of explaining yourself properly you have siply attacked everything I have said without any real background to it.

"all detail is lost if you put the sharpness at 0, so dont do it."

I am truly baffled by your sharpness setting. Perhaps we have different firmware? Anything over 10 on mine looks horrible at times. Whilst zero makes my PC desktop look absolutely pin sharp (From approx 3 meters away and I use a wireless keyboard and mouse). So on mine, zero is definitely WAY more preferable to 70 (Which looks staggeringly bad on mine).
Of course you can set yours however you like, but suggesting that my settings are wrong from the off isnt a particularly good way to go to my mind.

"I dont understand how anyone can say "movie mode" looks natural or the most realistic... it just makes the image a yellow blurred mess, as if you're looking through a layer of clingfilm." :

I never said to use movie mode on standard settings, I said to use movie mode and warm 2 then set white balance. And its not a generally good idea to just set something then decide its wrong immediately. People 'acclimitise' themselves to what theyre used to and dont like change. But most people will prefer a calibrated display over a period of time and appreciate how much better and more natural it looks to anything other than a calibrated display.

Your post of the two pictures is not something I can really comment on. I dont know if the first is calibrated (I suspect its not properly calibrated). And theres no mention of movie mode. And simply selecting movie mode doesnt suddenly mean the tv is calibrated (It doesnt)

"I cant stand retina burning high contrast modes, they're all turned off."
Something we can agree on. A calibrated tv certainly wont have them switched on.

As for the FULL RGB on PS3 games: The last I heard there was only one programme that actually used the full pallette, and it wasnt even a game. You can go looking if you like, but I am pretty sure very few games actually use the full pallette (Mostly due to memory restrictions)

For some reason you bring up analogies which have nothing to do with what the actual subject is about? (And not very well thought through to my mind)

"Backlight and contrast aren't at maximum because I found that you actually lose fine details in bright areas on the screen by having them cranked up to full." "I calibrated my tv by using the Disney WOW calibration bluray that I imported from America"
Brightness and backlight settings are there to calibrate black levels, nothing to do with 'bright areas on the screen'.
I dont know of the calibration disc you speak of, but if its worth its salt you would use it to set brightness and contrast properly (So its not crushing blacks or whites)

"by staring at a pure white screen, raising and lowering various colours until there was only white visible. For example, most uncalibrated screens have too much red and this results in an ever so slight pink tinge to the screen when looking at whats meant to be a pure white screen.

The 2 point and 10 point fine tuning of the colours was done by a Sencore OTC1000 Meter with AV Foundry VideoForge Source and Direct Display Control."
The above seems to be a contradiction? You have posted one set of white balance controls (Presumably someone elses using the $7000 dollar meter?), yet you say you set them by eye?

"I can't see there being much difference from one identical model of this tv to another." : And yet you have changed settings that someone used a $7K colour meter to set?!?

"My useful settings are now drowning in irrelevant BS, cheers."
Again, anyone can use any settings they like, just as you have done. But I think youll find you are trolling my thread, and not making a particularly good case for yourself.

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to MS Word, saved it on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in a safe deposit box, and I will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), then I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
billybifocals said:
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to MS Word, saved it on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in a safe deposit box, and I will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), then I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells.

Grade A troll

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
BIlly, this forum has not been designed for people like you to throw abuse at people who have a real and qualified oppinion.

suggest you take your bully boy antics somewhere else if you are not interested in contributing in a proactive format.

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Im not a troll, I dont appreciate people ganging up on me and belittling my opinion, questioning absolutely everything I type and suggest. Sure im a scrub with my ps3 instead of having a standalone bluray player. I live by my means, Im not as fortunate as people with equipment ranging in the thousands.

The only person that has spoken to me like a human being on here is Glacialpath. Everybody else has given me grief for simply offering my own opinion and findings. Its ok because I'll just stop coming here for help and advice. This site only appears to be for the upperclass elitists. Isnt ganging up on someone and basically telling them to **** off for offering their own opinions and views bullying? You sicken me.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Guess the spam/expletive filter isn't working! Getting back to the original post - I have a similar Samsung TV and I have experimented widely with the settings and 'Movie' mode is by far the best - have tried most of your settings Rik and they work well with a little tweaking for my own room variables.

jetman

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
I have very recently bought myself a Samsung UE48H6400 tv, of which I am VERY impressed with.I have calibrated the greyscale myself using the eye one sensor and perhaps some people may be interested in the results :Select MOVIE mode with WARM 2 for starters.Turn off all extra processing (contrast enhance etc)

White Balance 2 point

10% R+34 G0 B+25, 20% R+32 G0 B+36, 30% R+25 G0 B+36, 40% R+13 G0 B+43, 50% R+9 G0 B+45, 60% R+9 G0 B+43, 70% R+8 G0 B+34, 80% R+5 G0 B+32, 90% R+7 G0 B+38, 100% R+2 G0 B+34

Are you sure you've got that all written down correctly? You've not given any 2 point values, but instead put the 10 point values...

jetman

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Aslo with the sharpness set so high you've added Croma to the picture that wasn't there in the first place. Sharpness in only there to be used for NTSC SD content and shouldn't be used for HD at all. Samsung video pannals have a tendency to out of focus when sharpness in on 0 so it should either be left on 50 (neutral) or about 5 to stop things looking fuzzy.

Are you sure that 50 is neutral (no artificial sharpness) on Samsung TVs? Most reviewers recommend 0 for this setting, and many users favour a setting around 12 for sharpness... which appears to them to be neutral.

Also, it doesn't quite make sense to me that you recommend either 5, or 50 on the sharpness dial, but nowhere in between. Thanks! :)

billybifocals

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
On this particular Samsung TV, 50 on sharpness setting does indeed appear to be the Neutral setting. By lowering It down to zero I personally lose all fine detail.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
jetman said:
Glacialpath said:
Aslo with the sharpness set so high you've added Croma to the picture that wasn't there in the first place. Sharpness in only there to be used for NTSC SD content and shouldn't be used for HD at all. Samsung video pannals have a tendency to out of focus when sharpness in on 0 so it should either be left on 50 (neutral) or about 5 to stop things looking fuzzy.

Are you sure that 50 is neutral (no artificial sharpness) on Samsung TVs? Most reviewers recommend 0 for this setting, and many users favour a setting around 12 for sharpness... which appears to them to be neutral.

Also, it doesn't quite make sense to me that you recommend either 5, or 50 on the sharpness dial, but nowhere in between. Thanks! :)

Hi Jetman. I've been setting up TVs for about 7 years now so have seen many models and makes. I even used to have a samsung.

I'm right in that there should be no need for sharpness on any TV accept for NTSC SD TVs and content.

However on all the Samsungs I've done some of them the neutral setting was 50 where anything below started to get fuzzy or 0 but I found the test patterns looked a little soft so I would bump the sharpness up to about 5.

When I set a screen up I do it form the viewing area but I also then go right up to the screen and tweak the setting to see if it improves. I don't trust my eyes to be perfect from a distance so if the picture detail still looks realistic 6 inches t a foot away from the screen then my setting are right.

Sharpness can look right from a distence because it gives the impression of amazing detail but I find if I look at a face in real life from the same kind of distance of the screen or at a distance that makes the face as close as a closeup on screen (magnifying detail) then you realize you don't actually see as much detail that the sharpness portrays thus it's fauls image.

I hope that makes sence.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
jetman said:
aliEnRIK said:
White Balance 2 point

10% R+34 G0 B+25, 20% R+32 G0 B+36, 30% R+25 G0 B+36, 40% R+13 G0 B+43, 50% R+9 G0 B+45, 60% R+9 G0 B+43, 70% R+8 G0 B+34, 80% R+5 G0 B+32, 90% R+7 G0 B+38, 100% R+2 G0 B+34

Are you sure you've got that all written down correctly? You've not given any 2 point values, but instead put the 10 point values...

You're quite right. It's the 10 point settings I posted. I do have 2 point settings for 3D mode. However, Im thinking I may recalibrate 2 and 10 point (To hopefully bring blacks under full control)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
Getting back to the original post - I have a similar Samsung TV and I have experimented widely with the settings and 'Movie' mode is by far the best - have tried most of your settings Rik and they work well with a little tweaking for my own room variables.

Cheers :)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
billybifocals said:
Im not a troll, I dont appreciate people ganging up on me and belittling my opinion, questioning absolutely everything I type and suggest. Sure im a scrub with my ps3 instead of having a standalone bluray player. I live by my means, Im not as fortunate as people with equipment ranging in the thousands.

The only person that has spoken to me like a human being on here is Glacialpath. Everybody else has given me grief for simply offering my own opinion and findings. Its ok because I'll just stop coming here for help and advice. This site only appears to be for the upperclass elitists. Isnt ganging up on someone and basically telling them to f* off for offering their own opinions and views bullying? You sicken me.

I have certainly never meant anything bad about you having a PS3. Thats what I started with (And its very good as a player so far as I am concerned)
To be fair, you did start off by telling us all how movie mode is wrong and that in no way should I set sharpness to zero which is trampling all over my original post. By all means give your opinion, but to strike me down in your first post you can expect me to reply to that.
I can say I dont know many people on this site so im certainly not a part of the elite
Your last remark about it sickening you, sounds a little too troll like after the p-take post you made further back. Sorry

Anyhoo : no hard feelings from my end. Maybe its all just been a missunderstanding?
I am very curious about the sharpness setting. Have you updated the firmware?

Rik

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this thread nearly a year after the last post but I also have this TV but would like some settings advice for someone who doesn't generally watch Blu Ray films and instead uses the TV to watch TV shows mainly.

I am very confused about which settings to use, I have tried both Billy's settings and these: https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ue48h6400-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.1915442/ (the settings in the first post as suggested by AVF themselves) but it seems to me that most people come at this from the point of view of purely watching films.

I can't really afford to have my TV professionally calibrated and so like many people who visit these forums, I have to rely on others and "experts" to suggest optimal settings. In my case I sit around 6ft away from the TV and it is next to a north-facing window (on the left) and so my room is fairly bright and this is certainly a problem (particularly now during the Summer months) when watching anything with dark or night scenes as the picture looks black, almost like the TV's turned off.

I am using my Virgin Tivo box which is outputting 1080i to the TV, this is my main source for viewing both TV shows and films. I mostly use HD channels but there are the odd occasion when I view SD channels such as Motors TV, Ginx and Comedy Central Extra. I also watch Netflix via Tivo and stream Now TV to my Chromecast device plugged into the back of the TV. On the few rare occasions when I do watch a Blu Ray I have a Sony BDP-S4100 connected.

So, with all this in mind, please could someone give me some good suggestions for settings. I'm not adverse to using Movie Mode and Warm2 or Standard mode, I just would like to have some settings that isn't based on watching films in a dark room.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts