TV Shootout: Panasonic CZ950, LG EF950V OLED, ZT Plasma

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Initial reports from those who attended the event over on AVF are saying the old tech ZT still had the edge over the OLED's.

I will wait for the experts verdict...............but if this is confirmed it will piss off one well known Calibrator/Expert over on AVF.
wink_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

HDTVfan said:
Initial reports from those who attended the event over on AVF are saying the old tech ZT still had the edge over the OLED's.

I will wait for the experts verdict...............but if this is confirmed it will piss off one well known Calibrator/Expert over on AVF.
This is the same event though that thought a Samsung 8500 plasma was better than a ZT Panasonic! *smile*. Do know quite what to think to these events, they sound really dodgy to me. Panasonic OLED couldn't have been all that then. Although I was kind of expecting this with WHF saying it's one of the best they reviewed, I would like to know the other bests too?

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Gel i think these guys know what they are doing and if i am not mistaken that was the VE event in NY that awarded the 6500 best at the time, so nothing dodgy, i would have to look back to see why that was again, but it's been a long time since then so i can not remember as to why/how this was voted number one. But i would take those guys expert knowlege of such things over just about any other reviewer anyday.

This is also just one member of AVF reporting his opinion..............i would hold out for David M and Vincent giving theirs.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Series1boy said:
He just cannot cope with the fact that OLED is inferior to plasma..... *biggrin*

I am not sure if purchase justification has something to do with it or just at times misleading information from those who should know better.

Unfortunatly this event is hardly going to get a mention over on AVF and when it does watch the reaction and comments if OLED is put over as being less than perfect..............but oh the black levels LOL.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
AVFforums postings from two people who actually attended can be seen here

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-tx-65cz952-cz950-owners-and-discussion-thread.1988908/page-9

You need to read the last posting on page 9, number 270, and then go to page 10 to read the posts from hari1967 and from zAndy1, who both attended the shootout.

I'd hate to upset anyone, *acute*, but it looks as if they are advising anyone who still has a (whisper it softly) p-l-a-s-m-a to hang on to it for the time being. I'm particularly disappointed that there is banding and screen non-uniformity on both the Panasonic and the LG 4K OLEDs, though it seems less on the Panasonic.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
HDTVfan said:

I'm entirely comfortable that different experts can have different opinions. For example, some calibrators like to calibrate for blackout conditions, but others like to have some lighting, or use a bias light. We can all live happily together. Would you care to name this particular expert?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Going back to yesterday's shootout, I'm sorry that both the OLEDs showed banding and other screen uniformity problems, in televisions released only two months ago! I did want the OLEDs to do well, I don't rejoice in their difficulties. None of my four plasmas have any screen uniformity problems at all, and the oldest, my Pioneer 428XD, is now seven years old!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I still reckon I have the best TV! *biggrin*

Well, if you go back to the AVForums link, you will see in post number 279 that Vinnie97 agrees with you *acute* ! I'm not sure how many other people will concur though ......
Do you concur that the Samsung 8500 plasma is better than the Panasonic ZT then? Because that's what they decided at one of these shootouts 2 years ago!

gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I still reckon I have the best TV!  *biggrin*

Well, if you go back to the AVForums link, you will see in post number 279 that Vinnie97 agrees with you  *acute* ! I'm not sure how many other people will concur though ......
Do you concur that the Samsung 8500 plasma is better than the Panasonic ZT then?  Because that's what they decided at one of these shootouts 2 years ago!  

I attended the shootout last year, and I can say that with the amount of detail they went into, and exploring every aspect of TV performance in detail, it is as good as it gets. Reviewers comment on comparisons based on their memory of previous tests, but this was side by side comparison. I would suggest you attend one before making assumptions. Vincent Teoh is one of the best calibrators, even Care Newsome used his services recently!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I still reckon I have the best TV! *biggrin*

Well, if you go back to the AVForums link, you will see in post number 279 that Vinnie97 agrees with you *acute* ! I'm not sure how many other people will concur though ......
Do you concur that the Samsung 8500 plasma is better than the Panasonic ZT then? Because that's what they decided at one of these shootouts 2 years ago!

I attended the shootout last year, and I can say that with the amount of detail they went into, and exploring every aspect of TV performance in detail, it is as good as it gets. Reviewers comment on comparisons based on their memory of previous tests, but this was side by side comparison. I would suggest you attend one before making assumptions. Vincent Teoh is one of the best calibrators, even Care Newsome used his services recently!
There results are quite surprising though. I would love to attend any event though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

As bigboss reminds us, I haven't been able to attend any of the shootouts, so I'm going only by the reports of those who attended. One wee check - are you sure the that at the event (which I'm sure was in New York) had the ZT Panasonic plasma, rather than the VT60 plasma? In either case, the Samsung might have been favoured because it is certainly brighter than any of the Panasonic plasmas.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
There (sic) results are quite surprising though. I would love to attend any event though.

Not really gel, you could easily have attended the one yesterday. It was in Leeds, not the North Pole, not all that far away from Milton Keynes. I would have attended, but I couldn't afford to do so. You certainly have the money.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
There (sic) results are quite surprising though. I would love to attend any event though.

Not really gel, you could easily have attended the one yesterday. It was in Leeds, not the North Pole, not all that far away from Milton Keynes. I would have attended, but I couldn't afford to do so. You certainly have the money.
I haven't a car and don't do public transport though.

TRENDING THREADS