Turntable hum

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to the forum but not to the world of HI-FI , I've never been able to afford the system I would like as my query will show.

I run an ancient Sony PS11 turntable through an Aiwa AX- 7400 receiver and have done so quite happily for some 35 years but in just the last week this pairing has now developed a hum.

It can be heard through speakers and headphones and is really only noticeable between tracks but when you are used to silence it's very annoying to say the least.

There is an earth wire from turntable to receiver, the hum is much louder when it's disconnected. Perhaps the most strange thing is that the hum is still present when the power lead is removed from the turntable, the only time it disappears is when the input phono's are unplugged from the receiver, on all other inputs the receiver works perfectly.

Iv'e tried moving the deck further from the receiver with no discernable difference, Iv'e also tried plugging the inputs into the AUX input with the effect that the hum disappears but the volume level has to be set at about 1 o'clock to obtain a listenable level, not very satisfactory.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction or suggest an answer as I really don't want to replace either unit. :cry:

As this has just developed after so long, I think there are two possibilities. One is that a connection, maybe in the head shell where the cartridge is fitted, has come adrift. The other is that a new item, like a wifi router or phone charger has been introduced somewhere in the house which the very sensitive phono input is picking up.

The aux input is much less sensitive hence the relative silence, but it is no use for a turntable.

I suppose the old receiver may simply have given up the ghost?

I hope you get it sorted.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The problem I was having with my ancient setup developing a hum turned out to be caused by a hard drive caddy plugged into my pc.

I got to thinking what was different in the time since the humming started and the only thing I could think of was the caddy, so I unplugged it and no hum, oh happy happy day :rofl:

A

Anonymous

Hi nopiano,

Thanks for your advice it sounds like a mains filter would be a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts