Tube-friendly speakers

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Now I fully understand everything you were telling me! ;)

Anyway the AMS wouldn't have been welcomed by the OH like the Jadis, so in the end it was a win-win situation for everybody! Can't do anything else this morning, I just want to sit and listen...unbelievable the amount of detail that is coming out of vinyls...

On a different tack, any word on Rob's Avalons. :? 8)

Rob's Avalons are connected, he is also experiencing some overwhelming bass reflection...I guess a few more adjustements will be required on his side also :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Rob's Avalons are connected, he is also experiencing some overwhelming bass reflection...I guess a few more adjustements will be required on his side also :)

This has been my worry.

There are several alternatives.....but the ones that may prove most effective are to to with isolating them from the suspended floor, and possibly treating the room.

Cheaper way: Auralex Grammer + Granite

Expensive way: Track Audio Isolation stands and / or room treatment (after it's been measured).

Playing with positioning, cables, room acoustics and components should all help. His apartment had a problem with the previous speakers, so introducing more bass is only going to exacerbate the effect.

It's all too easy to panic, especially with the money that has been spent, but even an ingrained problem should be sortable.

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Alex, here are some nice pictures from a Sonus Faber factory tour. From a swedish hifi forum. It starts off with pictures of the city, Vicenza, and continues with pictures from the factory. Try google translate if you want to be able to understand the comments.

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=10222&st=0

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
egoBen said:
Alex, here are some nice pictures from a Sonus Faber factory tour. From a swedish hifi forum. It starts off with pictures of the city, Vicenza, and continues with pictures from the factory. Try google translate if you want to be able to understand the comments.

Wow!

It's easy to see where the inspiration comes from, when looking at the starting pics.

Great Link.

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
If Roby's having to use the Avalons without the spikes, I'm sure that won't be helping the base problem either.

Mac

Indeed, but he needs an extra help to position the speakers on the spikes!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
egoBen said:

Amazing link, thanks a lot!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just wrote an email to the distributor of Black Ravioli for Benelux, I might get some demo products shipped to Francis' shop...let's hope!

Francis has similar product of a brand called Symposium but they don't look as nice as the BR and they are not cheaper either :shame:

http://www.technologyfactory.eu/index.php?item=symposium-fat-padz&action=article&group_id=10000218&aid=3314&lang=EN

More will follow on vibration eaters...my girlfriend just went mad for this product and she decided we need to get two to sit on the speakers :wall:

0__5026_l_ms2.rvf_6.jpg

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
acalex said:
More will follow on vibration eaters...my girlfriend just went mad for this product and she decided we need to get two to sit on the speakers :wall:

0__5026_l_ms2.rvf_6.jpg

http://www.entreq.com/default.asp?PageId=1924

Thanks for the link to the website! Indeed it's true, when the "thing" is not on top the speaker vibrates, otherwise there is almost not vibration on the speakers but the eater is indeed vibrating a lot...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No news from Vertere after a very good start...pity.

I just realised I might be ok with only 1.75mt pair loudspeakers cables so I might even go for the Siltech 550L which are basically the same price as the ones I am trying now (which are 330L but 2,5 mt).

Interconnect I think I will stick with the 330i for now :shifty:

Open question is the power chord yet...Shunyata vs Siltech, who is going to win the place in the family? 8)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

I just realised I might be ok with only 1.75mt pair loudspeakers cables so I might even go for the Siltech 550L which are basically the same price as the ones I am trying now (which are 330L but 2,5 mt).

Open question is the power chord yet...Shunyata vs Siltech, who is going to win the place in the family? 8)

Is this silence from Vertere themselves, or their distributor?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Is this silence from Vertere themselves, or their distributor?

From all of them as everybody was in CC of last email, Vertere and the distributor also. Weird as at the beginning they were super reactive...maybe my last "request" of living with the cables for a while is against their policy...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
chebby said:
acalex said:

0__5026_l_ms2.rvf_6.jpg

http://www.entreq.com/default.asp?PageId=1924

Thanks for the link to the website! Indeed it's true, when the "thing" is not on top the speaker vibrates, otherwise there is almost not vibration on the speakers but the eater is indeed vibrating a lot...

Really? My speakers don't vibrate at all. I use blu tack onto very heavy stands. That website reads like BS of the highest order.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Really? My speakers don't vibrate at all. I use blu tack onto very heavy stands. That website reads like BS of the highest order.

Maybe "resonate" might be more accurate......doesn't mean it's not B/S of the highest order though.

In my case, preventing "what ever it is" from passing from the speaker into the floor made a difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I just wrote an email to the distributor of Black Ravioli for Benelux, I might get some demo products shipped to Francis' shop...let's hope!

This is good to hear (pun intended! :shifty: )

You need a good selection of the original pads as well as the Big Feet......as they can sound different.

eg. It's quite possible that the ordinary pads will work better on the DS (as in my case) and the Big Feet under the amp.

It is easy to do a blind test (especially on the DS).....get somebody to insert / remove the pads while the listener is "blind", and see if it is possible to tell if they are being inserted or removed.

What I found slightly shocking, was the way the soundstage collapsed when all pads were removed, after being in situ for a day or two.....those were my individual findings, in my system, with a MDS. The ADS is a superior product in every way, including construction, so the cleaner more detailed sound that the Big Feet might bring, could suit the Jadis.

As always, I look forward to your findings.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

This is good to hear (pun intended! :shifty: )

You need a good selection of the original pads as well as the Big Feet......as they can sound different.

eg. It's quite possible that the ordinary pads will work better on the DS (as in my case) and the Big Feet under the amp.

It is easy to do a blind test (especially on the DS).....get somebody to insert / remove the pads while the listener is "blind", and see if it is possible to tell if they are being inserted or removed.

What I found slightly shocking, was the way the soundstage collapsed when all pads were removed, after being in situ for a day or two.....those were my individual findings, in my system, with a MDS. The ADS is a superior product in every way, including construction, so the cleaner more detailed sound that the Big Feet might bring, could suit the Jadis.

As always, I look forward to your findings.

Hopefully I will be able to get them, not sure though as I usually didn't get an answer yet and the first 24hs are usually crucial when dealing with these kinds of requests in my opinion. I will try to follow up and call them in case as I really would like to see what these nice fatty pads could bring to the mix :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess Vertere is not interested anymore as they didn't contact me again after my last mail. Pity as it would have been interesting to compare and I was ready to depart with the money...a missed opportunity!

On the good side, Black ravioli distributor called saying that they will contact Francis to try and ship a few demo products. I explained to them what I am looking for and the type of equipment I have...let's see how they react.

I will report my findings of course! ;)

-4 days to the Akurate! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well, I guess Vertere is not interested anymore as they didn't contact me again after my last mail. Pity as it would have been interesting to compare and I was ready to depart with the money...a missed opportunity!

On the good side, Black ravioli distributor called saying that they will contact Francis to try and ship a few demo products. I explained to them what I am looking for and the type of equipment I have...let's see how they react.

At the risk of interfering, I have just rung Vertere.

If you can send an email to ad@vertereacoustics.com and explain your situation again, he will see what he can do. Title the email "CnoEvil", and say that it is a follow up from my call. State where you are, what you want to achieve and what has happened so far. He gets about 200 emails a day and yours is probably in a queue somewhere. He said he will keep an eye out for the Cnoevil title and that your distributer is a sound guy, who may not fully understand where you are coming from.

Let me know how it goes....I'll see this happens, even if it kills me.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

At the risk of interfering, I have just rung Vertere.

If you can send an email to ad@vertereacoustics.com and explain your situation again, he will see what he can do. Title the email "CnoEvil", and say that it is a follow up from my call. State where you are, what you want to achieve and what has happened so far. He gets about 200 emails a day and yours is probably in a queue somewhere. He said he will keep an eye out for the Cnoevil title and that your distributer is a sound guy, who may not fully understand where you are coming from.

Let me know how it goes....I'll see this happens, even if it kills me.

Thanks a lot my friend, really appreciate. I will send an email to them tomorrow morning and see how they will react.

In the meantime yesterday I realised that the Jadis just inverst phase...so I had to invert the loudspeaker cables...swapped this morning and started playing and did like this :O

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Thanks a lot my friend, really appreciate. I will send an email to them tomorrow morning and see how they will react.

I'm only making the effort in this case, because I think you should hear these cables...though I risk looking like an idiot if you don't like them, but c'est la vie.

I would also like to see Vertere do well, as they sound excellent, and are an innovative design (by a British Co.).

acalex said:
In the meantime yesterday I realised that the Jadis just inverst phase...so I had to invert the loudspeaker cables...swapped this morning and started playing and did like this :O

:O :O

That would have considerably opened up the sound.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate, if you felt it was so good I can't not try them at lest :D

Siltech made an huge improvement, today I also connected the 800 power cable from Siltech and this time I could fill a difference compared to the other one I tried from Kemp...

Yes sound is more open and the basses are seriously better, they are simply rock solid now...I have the feeling I also gained something in speed...my girlfriend also asked me tonight what I have changed as from stone cold was sounding better than yesterday 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts