Tube-friendly speakers

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I really appreciate, if you felt it was so good I can't not try them at lest :D

Siltech made an huge improvement, today I also connected the 800 power cable from Siltech and this time I could fill a difference compared to the other one I tried from Kemp...

Yes sound is more open and the basses are seriously better, they are simply rock solid now...I have the feeling I also gained something in speed...my girlfriend also asked me tonight what I have changed as from stone cold was sounding better than yesterday 8)

There is often a cohesiveness to be gained by keeping the cabling all from the one manufacturer.....but saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if the Shunyata Black Mamba is even better.

I'm glad you could (I think) hear the surprising effect that a decent m/c can bring.....and you will probably find that you will miss it more than you'd expect, when it's removed. (which is the best way to check for sure).

Any word from your partner-in-crime?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
I really appreciate, if you felt it was so good I can't not try them at lest :D

Siltech made an huge improvement, today I also connected the 800 power cable from Siltech and this time I could fill a difference compared to the other one I tried from Kemp...

Yes sound is more open and the basses are seriously better, they are simply rock solid now...I have the feeling I also gained something in speed...my girlfriend also asked me tonight what I have changed as from stone cold was sounding better than yesterday 8)

There is often a cohesiveness to be gained by keeping the cabling all from the one manufacturer.....but saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if the Shunyata Black Mamba is even better.

I'm glad you could (I think) hear the surprising effect that a decent m/c can bring.....and you will probably find that you will miss it more than you'd expect, when it's removed. (which is the best way to check for sure).

Any word from your partner-in-crime?

Rob is still looking for a good set-up and tomorrow he will come to pick up the Siltech 220 cables to try with the Avalon. I might also give him the 330i as I will swap to the 550i tomorrow to have a comparison. Francis also gave me the 770i... I think he has understood very well now the way to deal with us :rofl:

I will definitely try the old interconnect before making any decision...and the Black Mamba of course which is an impressive looking cable (it's 3 times bigger than the Siltech!)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
How much of the improvement was down to the correct phase, and how much (and what) improvement was down to the mains cable?

I just connected the Black Mamba to the Jadis and the Siltech to the phonostage....everything came more forward, more attack and the voice gained a focus and an authority which are incredible...everything is more neat. The bass, on the other hand, it is still solid...a bit overbooming sometimes...don't think this can be improved with the cables...I need to decouple the speakers from the floor and improve acoustic.

I will later try to remove the Siltech from the phonostge and see what happens...if this amazing voice is due to the Black Mamba or not...

Having a lot of fun :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
How much of the improvement was down to the correct phase, and how much (and what) improvement was down to the mains cable?

I just connected the Black Mamba to the Jadis and the Siltech to the phonostage....everything came more forward, more attack and the voice gained a focus and an authority which are incredible...everything is more neat. The bass, on the other hand, it is still solid...a bit overbooming sometimes...don't think this can be improved with the cables...I need to decouple the speakers from the floor and improve acoustic.

I will later try to remove the Siltech from the phonostge and see what happens...if this amazing voice is due to the Black Mamba or not...

It would be good to get feedback on where you find a mains cable brings the most improvement ie. Source or Amp; and what the differences are between the Siltech and Shunyata ie. Which you prefer, and why.

Wait till you hear what the 35i sounds like with good cabling....especially a M/C. :shifty:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:

It would be good to get feedback on where you find a mains cable brings the most improvement ie. Source or Amp; and what the differences are between the Siltech and Shunyata ie. Which you prefer, and why.

Wait till you hear what the 35i sounds like with good cabling....especially a M/C. :shifty:

I have the impression the Siltech connected to the phonostage exacerbated the bass problem but also brought a neater and a bit more forward voice...I will try to confirm this by swapping the phono stage power cord with the original one and leaving the black mamba on the Jadis...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a strong school of thought that says the best mains cable should be on the Source, so try putting the Shunyata on it, and the Siltech on the Amp.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Well, I guess Vertere is not interested anymore as they didn't contact me again after my last mail. Pity as it would have been interesting to compare and I was ready to depart with the money...a missed opportunity!

On the good side, Black ravioli distributor called saying that they will contact Francis to try and ship a few demo products. I explained to them what I am looking for and the type of equipment I have...let's see how they react.

I will report my findings of course! ;)

-4 days to the Akurate! :cheers:

At the risk of interfering, I have just rung Vertere.

If you can send an email to ad@vertereacoustics.com and explain your situation again, he will see what he can do. Title the email "CnoEvil", and say that it is a follow up from my call. State where you are, what you want to achieve and what has happened so far. He gets about 200 emails a day and yours is probably in a queue somewhere. He said he will keep an eye out for the Cnoevil title and that your distributer is a sound guy, who may not fully understand where you are coming from.

Let me know how it goes....I'll see this happens, even if it kills me.

Thanks a lot my friend, really appreciate. I will send an email to them tomorrow morning and see how they will react.

In the meantime yesterday I realised that the Jadis just inverst phase...so I had to invert the loudspeaker cables...swapped this morning and started playing and did like this :O

I'm confused, have you been listening to your speakers out of phase all this time?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Well, I guess Vertere is not interested anymore as they didn't contact me again after my last mail. Pity as it would have been interesting to compare and I was ready to depart with the money...a missed opportunity!

On the good side, Black ravioli distributor called saying that they will contact Francis to try and ship a few demo products. I explained to them what I am looking for and the type of equipment I have...let's see how they react.

If you can send an email to ad@vertereacoustics.com and explain your situation again, he will see what he can do. Title the email "CnoEvil", and say that it is a follow up from my call. State where you are, what you want to achieve and what has happened so far. He gets about 200 emails a day and yours is probably in a queue somewhere. He said he will keep an eye out for the Cnoevil title and that your distributer is a sound guy, who may not fully understand where you are coming from.

Thanks a lot my friend, really appreciate. I will send an email to them tomorrow morning and see how they will react.

In the meantime yesterday I realised that the Jadis just inverst phase...so I had to invert the loudspeaker cables...swapped this morning and started playing and did like this :O

I'm confused, have you been listening to your speakers out of phase all this time?

Yes :shifty:

The Sonus Faber only for 2 weeks though. Nobody told me the Jadis inverts phase, I just found out when my dealer gave me the box and the manual of the amplifier...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
There is a strong school of thought that says the best mains cable should be on the Source, so try putting the Shunyata on it, and the Siltech on the Amp.

Tried...you know what? I prefer more with the Siltech at the phonostage...would be nice to see what the effect would be with two Siltech (one for amp and the other for phonostage).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:

Tried...you know what? I prefer more with the Siltech at the phonostage...would be nice to see what the effect would be with two Siltech (one for amp and the other for phonostage).

Personally, I have always preferred the better M/C on the amp, especially those that draw a lot of current (and have fast transient response).

You are right to try all possible combinations.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

The Sonus Faber only for 2 weeks though. Nobody told me the Jadis inverts phase, I just found out when my dealer gave me the box and the manual of the amplifier...

:O And all the time you had the jadis with the MAs? In retrospect, how could you possibly make all those fine judgments about DACs, tubes and cables?

iceman16

BenLaw said:
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

:O And all the time you had the jadis with the MAs? In retrospect, how could you possibly make all those fine judgments about DACs, tubes and cables?

+1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
O And all the time you had the jadis with the MAs? In retrospect, how could you possibly make all those fine judgments about DACs, tubes and cables?

I have never assessed kit with speakers out of phase.....but in a room with acoustic problems like "boomy bass", it might mask the lack of bass. The imaging would be fecked up, especially in the sweet spot, but if all the testing was done like this, it would probably be a consistant baseline in which to assess differences, which should still be apparant (imo)......if anything any differences will now be far more dramatic, now that the phase is corrected (along with a possibly overpowering bass), but that remains to be seen.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
O And all the time you had the jadis with the MAs? In retrospect, how could you possibly make all those fine judgments about DACs, tubes and cables?

I have never assessed kit with speakers out of phase.....but in a room with acoustic problems like "boomy bass", it might mask the lack of bass. The imaging would be fecked up, especially in the sweet spot, but if all the testing was done like this, it would probably be a consistant baseline in which to assess differences, which should still be apparant (imo)......if anything any differences will now be far more dramatic, now that the phase is corrected (along with a possibly overpowering bass), but that remains to be seen.

Okaay.....

Well lesson one is: always read the manual!

Lesson two is: if one's listening is not acute enough yet to tell speakers are out of phase, perhaps one should hold back on spending thousands on stands, interconnects of various kinds, mains conditioning and anti-reverberation add ons. I don't say this to take the p*** Acalex, as you're a very genuine guy and your experiences and posts are endlessly fascinating, but I have worried that you're spiralling into spending a lot of money for something ephemeral and possibly imaginary, and this rather bolsters that suspicion. At the least, I would spend a few months - a year listening to a marvellous amp - speaker combination in phase and with no fancy after market components.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Okaay.....

Well lesson one is: always read the manual!

Lesson two is: if one's listening is not acute enough yet to tell speakers are out of phase, perhaps one should hold back on spending thousands on stands, interconnects of various kinds, mains conditioning and anti-reverberation add ons. I don't say this to take the p*** Acalex, as you're a very genuine guy and your experiences and posts are endlessly fascinating, but I have worried that you're spiralling into spending a lot of money for something ephemeral and possibly imaginary, and this rather bolsters that suspicion. At the least, I would spend a few months - a year listening to a marvellous amp - speaker combination in phase and with no fancy after market components.

Alex will no doubt answer for himself.

TBF He has never put himself up to be an expert and is gathering exprience as he goes.

It is an interesting question as to whether a really good system still sounds good enough when out of phase, to fool someone who has never experienced it.

Your points are very valid though, and the gains need to assessed in the light of the value for money....and there is no rush. It's vital that Rob and anyone else in the vicinity, is there to add validity to the findings.,

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, we can at least agree there's no rush. I know he doesn't say he's an expert, and as I say I don't want to take the p*** or embarrass him in any way.

You're a very genuine and well meaning chap yourself Cno, I just feel that sometimes your boundless enthusiasm for all things hifi myth can sometimes get the less experienced a little carried away. You won't agree with that I'm sure, but I hope you recognise I'm also being well meaning to Acalex and that, even if he ultimately concludes you're right and I'm an idiot, a little patience will be no bad thing, for wallet or musical enjoyment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
You're a very genuine and well meaning chap yourself Cno, I just feel that sometimes your boundless enthusiasm for all things hifi myth can sometimes get the less experienced a little carried away. You won't agree with that I'm sure, but I hope you recognise I'm also being well meaning to Acalex and that, even if he ultimately concludes you're right and I'm an idiot, a little patience will be no bad thing, for wallet or musical enjoyment.

It's very hard to assess whether the effect I am having is for good or ill, so I try to ameliorate my opinion as much as I can with, "don't take my word for it, and go and listen for yourself"....... or some such phrase. I hope that I have done more good than harm with my recommendations / advice, while I've been a member here.

All I can do, is pass on what I have found over the 37 years I've been doing this to those who are interested. Luckily, there are always those who will put up the robust opposing argument, so it's up to the person to decide for themselves.

Your point is taken in the "well meaning" spirit that it's intended, and I have no problem with anyone advising caution......and I don't believe Alex will either.

That all said, I'm fascinated in what he is going to find! :shifty:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

It's very hard to assess whether the effect I am having is for good or ill, so I try to ameliorate my opinion as much as I can with, "don't take my word for it, and go and listen for yourself"....... or some such phrase. I hope that I have done more good than harm with my recommendations / advice, while I've been a member here.

I'm sure you have. Particularly where speakers are concerned, where there can be stark differences in presentation, your proffering of a range of options I'm sure is very useful. (Tho you almost never suggest ATC ;) )

However, on the more controversial components (those with no objective explanation for or demonstration of differences) I feel enthusiasm from people such as yourself can, even with the appropriate caveat, lead the less experienced into fooling themselves. I am very skeptical Acalex could have made these sensitive judgments when listening through out of phase speakers, so I feel that may be what has happened here.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
However, on the more controversial components (those with no objective explanation for or demonstration of differences) I feel enthusiasm from people such as yourself can, even with the appropriate caveat, lead the less experienced into fooling themselves. I am very skeptical Acalex could have made these sensitive judgments when listening through out of phase speakers, so I feel that may be what has happened here.

Now the system is in phase, Alex should be able to confirm whether the differences exist....and despite your scepticism, cabling can have quite a marked effect. I've heard it after all! :twisted: :silenced:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Yes...indeed the all assesment was done like that so for me the baseline was always the same. Don't get me wrong, the difference is not night and day but since I know now my system very well I could still spot a difference.

As Cno correctly said, the "bass" problem which was partially tamed when swapping cables with Siltech in the wrong configuration (out of phase) now is again back, especially when using the Siltech on the phonostage

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I have to stop all right there guys, have you ever tried to swith the phase of your speakers? Ask somebody to do that and you will see it's not at all evident to recognize...especially for a guy with no experience at all who does not know what a "out of phase" effect is. Everybody who says can spot straight away with no doubts speakers which are out of phase I think is not telling the all true...as we made the test with a dealer having 40 years of experience himself and he was able to spot difference on a very transparent system 2 out of 3 times. Me and Rob (both present) never heard a difference.

Now, back to the other topic, I don't feel I rushed in any thing at all and Cno has no responsibility whatsoever in pushing me to spend more on exotic components (do I have any exotic component?!?) In the end I haven't buy anything Cno suggested :rofl: but demoed a lot before departing with cash. He gave me a great advice to understand how a sinergy is important and I never felt anything he said wasn't true.

In the end I bought a Jadis as I was so taken by the romanticism of the presentation that couldn't forget when compared to muscles of AMS...and plus I bought exactly the same equipment I have heard at the dealer's site (I guess it was with the correct phase :O). Regarding speakers I was seduced by the brand (also italian so why not) and couldn't look at other speakers anymore. In the end the effect was amazing and I am glad I bought my kit which I am enjoying so much.

For the cables, I am sorry people insisting saying there is no scientific proof, it is so evident the difference they made (out of phase or in phase it does not matter) that I will still be looking for the perfect match, especially now.

I really would hope there were more people like Cno who really brings something to the forum, I am here where I am today (also in terms of competences) as he gave me the enthousiasm to go out and experience myself instead of doing as most of the people seem to do, reading a lot of reviews, buying 5 stars blind and not being happy about that in the end.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

Now the system is in phase, Alex should be able to confirm whether the differences exist....and despite your scepticism, cabling can have quite a marked effect. I've heard it after all! :twisted: :silenced:

Have been playing yesterday all the time with the "correct" configuration and the evidences are even bigger. Swapped cables a few times and let my girlfriend judge without knowing which cable was were and she could spot all the time the different cofiguration (Siltech and Black Mamba on phonostage and amp) and 100% of the times she preferred the Siltech on the phonostage as it brings much more clarity.

In terms of quality, they are the same range so I don't think the Black Mamba would be much better than the Siltech power chord. Have you tried the Siltech btw?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Now I am wondering...was it really a phase problem? As I could always here the image and the sound coming from between the speakers.

I had connected plus of speakers (red terminal) with red terminal on amplifier using the "red loudspeaker cable". Same for black, on both speakers of course.

Then I simply put the red cable into the blac connector on amplifier, on both sides. So now I have the red cable which starts in the red terminal on speakers and ends on black terminal on amplifier. Would that be an out of phase problem?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
In terms of quality, they are the same range so I don't think the Black Mamba would be much better than the Siltech power chord. Have you tried the Siltech btw?

I have no easy access to Siltech cables......I'm more familiar with Cardas, TCI, Atlas, Furutech, Clearer Audio and Titan Audio.

Which mains cable sounds better on the Amp?

Keeping to one brand of cable can roll out a consistant sonic benefit, and add a bit more with each replacement (though the gains usually get a bit less with each subsequent insert).

I could never hear much difference with a M/C on my MDS, so I will be interested to see how you get on with your ADS/1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts