Tube-friendly speakers

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
In terms of quality, they are the same range so I don't think the Black Mamba would be much better than the Siltech power chord. Have you tried the Siltech btw?

I have no easy access to Siltech cables......I'm more familiar with Cardas, TCI, Atlas, Furutech, Clearer Audio and Titan Audio.

Which mains cable sounds better on the Amp?

Keeping to one brand of cable can roll out a consistant sonic benefit, and add a bit more with each replacement (though the gains usually get a bit less with each subsequent insert).

I could never hear much difference with a M/C on my MDS, so I will be interested to see how you get on with your ADS/1.

On my amp I couldn't spot too much difference between Siltech and Black Mamba. The first being probably a bit more vivid than the latter (not sure the term is correct). I have the impression that introducing Siltech in the system left the presentation very relaxing and romantic as I like but removed a little bit of "darkness" and introducing some sparkle which is very pleasant. It might be less cosy than it was but a bit more involving...not sure I express myself well

Just adding that I haven't yet bought anything (not even the speakers) but I am still in the trial process which che dealer knows can last for months...I mean speakers I will buy for sure as I already committed myself...but for cables I am still in the experimentation phase...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Now I am wondering...was it really a phase problem? As I could always here the image and the sound coming from between the speakers.

I had connected plus of speakers (red terminal) with red terminal on amplifier using the "red loudspeaker cable". Same for black, on both speakers of course.

Then I simply put the red cable into the blac connector on amplifier, on both sides. So now I have the red cable which starts in the red terminal on speakers and ends on black terminal on amplifier. Would that be an out of phase problem?

Thanks

This is one for the dealer, or ring Jadis directly. I have always wired my speakers Red -> Red and Black -> Black.

I believe a problem arises if one speaker is wired differently to the other ie. If one cone is "pushing", while the other is "pulling", the sound waves cancel each other out to some extent. If both are wired wrong, they are at least working together so, you should be OK......check this out though.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Now I am wondering...was it really a phase problem? As I could always here the image and the sound coming from between the speakers.

I had connected plus of speakers (red terminal) with red terminal on amplifier using the "red loudspeaker cable". Same for black, on both speakers of course.

Then I simply put the red cable into the blac connector on amplifier, on both sides. So now I have the red cable which starts in the red terminal on speakers and ends on black terminal on amplifier. Would that be an out of phase problem?

Thanks

This is one for the dealer, or ring Jadis directly. I have always wired my speakers Red -> Red and Black -> Black.

I believe a problem arises if one speaker is wired differently to the other ie. If one cone is "pushing", while the other is "pulling", the sound waves cancel each other out to some extent. If both are wired wrong, they are at least working together so, you should be OK......check this out though.

Yes exactly...this is how it was. Both were red-red and black-black using the according cable. Now is red-black on both sides (I just swapped the connector on the amp side for each channel).

Jadis confirmed this is the way it should be connected...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Jadis confirmed this is the way it should be connected...

How much difference has it made, as strictly speaking, your speakers were always wired the same as each other?

Yes, both speakers were always wired the same way so they were both wired "wrong" if this is the case.

Strictly speaking...it wasn't at all a nice and day difference but a little bit more clarity and focus (but again the imaging was already centered before...) and the bass feels a bit fuller and solid (especially on digital). It exacerbated a little bit the overwhelming bass sometimes (especially on vinyl)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Yes, both speakers were always wired the same way so they were both wired "wrong" if this is the case.

Strictly speaking...it wasn't at all a nice and day difference but a little bit more clarity and focus (but again the imaging was already centered before...) and the bass feels a bit fuller and solid (especially on digital). It exacerbated a little bit the overwhelming bass sometimes (especially on vinyl)

There are more technical types on here who will know for sure, but despite them both being wired wrongly, they shouldn't have been out of phase (with each other). What effect this might have on the sound (with the Jadis), I'm not sure.....but Jadis will, and your dealer should.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

There are more technical types on here who will know for sure, but despite them both being wired wrongly, they shouldn't have been out of phase (with each other). What effect this might have on the sound (with the Jadis), I'm not sure.....but Jadis will, and your dealer should.

Ah yes for sure...they were not out pf phase with each other!!! I think this has been the misunderstanding...I think the absolute phase was just inverted...as I read on another forum which I guess can't post :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Ah yes for sure...they were not out pf phase with each other!!! I think this has been the misunderstanding...I think the absolute phase was just inverted...as I read on another forum which I guess can't post :)

You can now link to other forums if you wish.

Now with Vertere cables, it may well be vital to get this right, as their Red (AC current) and Black (DC ground) wires are totally different - see 6th photo down (on post 6); http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/an-evening-with-touraj-moghaddam-vertere?page=2

I think this radical difference to any other cable on the market, is what sets them apart and makes them interesting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Years ago, I used to test for +ve and -ve on unmarked s/c with a battery. If the cone of the speaker moved "out" when the ends of the cable were briefly touched to the battery, then the wire connected to the +ve on the battery, was the +ve on the speaker, and vica versa.

I also think that correct phase and correct polarity are djfferent.

Phase (I think) only refers to whether the speakers are working in sync (ie. in phase) with each other, or not (out of phase)

Polarity is about the +ve and -ve, and can be changed at one end (eg. of both speakers)....getting this wrong (on both speakers) will probably be much more diiicult to detect (compared to incorrect phase), but could result in a little loss of bass / imaging.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You correct phase by changing polarity. If your speakers are in phase then switching polarity puts them out of phase.

It's a trick often used in crossovers - some second order designs require you to switch the polarity for the tweeter as the crossover puts it 180° out of phase with the bass/mid.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You correct phase by changing polarity. If your speakers are in phase then switching polarity puts them out of phase.

It's a trick often used in crossovers - some second order designs require you to switch the polarity for the tweeter as the crossover puts it 180° out of phase with the bass/mid.

AL, if both speakers are in phase, but the polarity (of both) are reversed, to what extent will it show in the sound?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Remember you've just put the drivers in the speakers out of phase, too. Try here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Since I don't have a problem, this is purely out of academic interest.

As I understand it, the polarity determins whether the speaker cones move out or in, relative to the voltage polarity of the signal.....so if both speakers are wired wrongly (which I think is called reversing the "Absolute Phase"), but in the same way, they will still be in phase with each other. Is this correct, and how easy is it to detect by the way they sound (as they are still in phase with each other)?

Sorry if I'm being thick about this

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Remember you've just put the drivers in the speakers out of phase, too. Try here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Since I don't have a problem, this is purely out of academic interest.

As I understand it, the polarity determins whether the speaker cones move out or in, relative to the voltage polarity of the signal.....so if both speakers are wired wrongly (which I think is called reversing the "Absolute Phase"), but in the same way, they will still be in phase with each other. Is this correct, and how easy is it to detect by the way they sound (as they are still in phase with each other)?

Sorry if I'm being thick about this

Cno

Yes, this was the situation as both speakers were connected red-red and black-blac instead of being connected red-black and red-black as manual said.

Imaging and bass were both presents...at what degree this I can't be sure...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just switched on the system and put a vinyl of Luka Bloom, Riverside. I am more and more impressed how much difference the Siltech cable brings when connected to the phonostage...is like a upper and lower limit has been removed and the sound is much more "dynamic" than before in terms of peaks...acoustic guitar is simply so accurate...voice goes higher without being harsh...magic is happening...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Just switched on the system and put a vinyl of Luka Bloom, Riverside. I am more and more impressed how much difference the Siltech cable brings when connected to the phonostage...is like a upper and lower limit has been removed and the sound is much more "dynamic" than before in terms of peaks...acoustic guitar is simply so accurate...voice goes higher without being harsh...magic is happening...

You will never convince the sceptics of this, but I know exactly what you are experiencing, except in my case, it was from my amp....must be a shared illusion.

It might be worth asking your Jadis dealer what he has found re power cords and your particular amp.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

You will never convince the sceptics of this, but I know exactly what you are experiencing, except in my case, it was from my amp....must be a shared illusion.

It might be worth asking your Jadis dealer what he has found re power cords and your particular amp.

Good idea, I will send an email now!

When there is no music playing everything is so quiet that when a new instrument kicks in I almost get scared by the impact...I also moved up the ladder with the 550i interconnect now (as I gave the 330i to Rob) :rofl:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It is still improving as it's warming up...oh my god the acoustig guitar is absolutely amazing...so clear and musical...voice is growing in presence and warmth...every instrument has its place but the mix is so musical..... :dance:

When the guitar is pinched you can really feel the vibrations and the intensity the guitarist is using to play...can't describe this but I am loving it so much...it seems like the system was constantly on handbreak before these last few days...

But I am sure it's all an impression and it is just a placebo effect...nothing of this is real... :doh:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
and I'm constantly wondering why none of the "audiophile" cables manufacturers (with exception of of Atlas and Kimber, and maybe few others that I'm not aware of) never give measurements of their products. I would most gladly see frequency responses of those "wonders". also it would be good to find out about relation between inductance and capacitance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
and I'm constantly wondering why none of the "audiophile" cables manufacturers (with exception of of Atlas and Kimber, and maybe few others that I'm not aware of) never give measurements of their products. I would most gladly see frequency responses of those "wonders". also it would be good to find out about relation between inductance and capacitance.

Cardas give fairly comprehensive info about their products.....and I agree with you about Atlas. I have met John Carrick, and he knows his stuff (as well as being a gentleman).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just an update of my cables research...for sure the SPX800 is a keeper, the difference behind the phonostage is huge...haven't decided for the amp yet. Quite unimpressed with the Black Mamba to be honest...it didn't bring that much I was expecting...I might just stick a good copper cable behind it (around 100 euro).

Still open the loudpseaker/interconnect...with Siltech 550L/i being the sweet spot probably for me. The difference between the 770i and the 550i is noticeable but not enough to justify the price difference between the two cables...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
.I might just stick a good copper cable behind it (around 100 euro).

For a little under your budget, I recommend this:

http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

For a little over (my preference):

http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

Nb. Can be bought on 60 day trial.....have a word with Darren if you wish (knowledgeable and helpful)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts