Tube-friendly speakers

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
.I might just stick a good copper cable behind it (around 100 euro).

For a little under your budget, I recommend this:

http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

For a little over (my preference):

http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

Nb. Can be bought on 60 day trial.....have a word with Darren if you wish (knowledgeable and helpful)

Might be interesting if they also ship to Belgium and also here the 60 day money back guarantee is valid...I will try to talk to Darren.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Tell him what your amp is, the wall plug you have, and the fuse rating you need (if applicable).

Can I mention that you gave me suggestion to contact him? Always works better... :)

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
Tell him what your amp is, the wall plug you have, and the fuse rating you need (if applicable).

Can I mention that you gave me suggestion to contact him? Always works better... :)

Thanks

If you like, but he will have no idea who CnoEvil is....and even with my real name, he mightn't remember.

I remember him though as being very sound and helpful to deal with...it's worth asking if he has anything lying around he can do a deal on.....I mooched one that had been a cancelled special order.

Any word from Vertere?......i hope I picked up the email address correctly!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks

If you like, but he will have no idea who CnoEvil is....and even with my real name, he mightn't remember.

I remember him though as being very sound and helpful to deal with...it's worth asking if he has anything lying around he can do a deal on.....I mooched one that had been a cancelled special order.

Any word from Vertere?......i hope I picked up the email address correctly!

Ah ok, I though you knew him in person. No problem that, I will drop him a line and see how he reacts, thanks a lot for that.

This cable looks like a real nice one, dod you ever try one?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Ah ok, I though you knew him in person. No problem that, I will drop him a line and see how he reacts, thanks a lot for that.

I've dealt with him a bit by phone, so know him on that level.

acalex said:

If you are referring to the mains cable....I have a Copper-Line and a couple of Copper-Line Alphas.

Copper Line Alpha with Furtech plug on TV

Copper Line Alpha on Sub

Copper Line with Furutech F8 on Skybox.

IMO. The quality of the connectors on the ends makes a marked difference...though the best ones are pretty expensive......you need to talk this over with Darren in order to see what is likely to suit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

I've dealt with him a bit by phone, so know him on that level.

acalex said:

If you are referring to the mains cable....I have a Copper-Line and a couple of Copper-Line Alphas.

Copper Line Alpha with Furtech plug on TV

Copper Line Alpha Plus on Sub

Copper Line with Furutech F8 on Skybox.

IMO. The quality of the connectors on the ends make a marked difference...though the best ones are pretty expensive......you need to talk this over with Darren in order to see what is likely to suit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
What difference did the copper line alpha make to your tv and what additional difference was there when you added the furutech plug?

The big change came with the M/C to the Skybox, which imo made the picture and sound more vibrant (it was like the settings had been changed). The one on the TV I got because it was on offer, and had much less effect than the one on the Skybox. How much effect the plug had, in this case, I can't say, as I can't try it with a different plug (due to the connection at the TV end).

I have heard the difference good connectors have had in other applications (amps / CDPs).....though I can't prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Any difference with the TV then? I've noticed at home that occasionally the lights will dim for a few seconds, suggesting something going on with the mains, but the TV picture and sound (going out to my processor) are utterly unaffected. Suggests to me the power supplies, which are designed to work within fairly large tolerances, are doing their job perfectly.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just got a mail from the importer of Vertere now...demo cables are on their way to Franci's shop. Will be getting them after Xmas at this point as I am going back to Italy on Saturday to come back here the 29th!

I will keep you posted and thanks for your intervention

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Any difference with the TV then? I've noticed at home that occasionally the lights will dim for a few seconds, suggesting something going on with the mains, but the TV picture and sound (going out to my processor) are utterly unaffected. Suggests to me the power supplies, which are designed to work within fairly large tolerances, are doing their job perfectly.

I try to be as honest as possible with my observations, and I cannot easily put a figure on the improvement from the M/C going to the TV, though I believe it's there.

The only way to get to the bottom of this (provided there is an interest), is to get some at a variety of prices from the likes of CA or Russ Andrews, and then experiment for the 60 day trial period.

As I keep saying, I don't want anyone to take my word for it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Just got a mail from the importer of Vertere now...demo cables are on their way to Franci's shop. Will be getting them after Xmas at this point as I am going back to Italy on Saturday to come back here the 29th!

Now that I have talked them into this, it would be great if anyone in the Brussels Massive could get to hear them....even if it's only the D-Fi USB or h/phone -> RCA cable.

What is the name of the person you are dealing with at Vertere head office.....I didn't note his name......I will write and thank him if this demo works out.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Now that I have talked them into this, it would be great if anyone in the Brussels Massive could get to hear them....even if it's only the D-Fi USB or h/phone -> RCA cable.

What is the name of the person you are dealing with at Vertere head office.....I didn't note his name......I will write and thank him if this demo works out.

To be hones I never dealt with Vertere as they never responded directly to my email. Only transfered to the importer with whom I have been delaing since. Also this time my email to Vertere triggered a response from the importer but haven't been in touch with them directly

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a 2 times 2mt RCA Linn Silver for 140 euro, I think I can move on with almost no losses if I shouldn't like them...

happy new year to everybody!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Just bought a 2 times 2mt RCA Linn Silver for 140 euro, I think I can move on with almost no losses if I shouldn't like them...

Happy New Year to you as well.

Let me know how you get on with the Linn Silver, and how it compares to the more exotic stuff.....The factory terminated stuff is 1.2m, so you need to make sure this isn't badly cobbled together with different plugs. On ebay, the SIlvers (1.2m) generally go for £115 - 130 each.

Did Rob get the Vertere, and if he did, was it Pulse B and Pulse X.

It might also be worth getting some Cardas stuff from the same guy, if the relationship proves satisfactory.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Happy New Year to you as well.

Let me know how you get on with the Linn Silver, and how it compares to the more exotic stuff.....The factory terminated stuff is 1.2m, so you need to make sure this isn't badly cobbled together with different plugs. On ebay, the SIlvers (1.2m) generally go for £115 - 130 each.

Did Rob get the Vertere, and if he did, was it Pulse B and Pulse X.

It might also be worth getting some Cardas stuff from the same guy, if the relationship proves satisfactory.

He told me the cable was assembled by an authorised linn dealer and equipped with original RCA on one side and BulletPlug RCA on the pther side. Not sure what a BulletPlug connector is but I have asked for photos before sending hpthe money.

Thanks as usual for your advices :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
He told me the cable was assembled by an authorised linn dealer and equipped with original RCA on one side and BulletPlug RCA on the pther side. Not sure what a BulletPlug connector is but I have asked for photos before sending hpthe money.

I would be nervous about using anything other than the factory terminated ones....those original plugs are quite expensive. If you don't need more than 1.2m, think about sticking with the original ones, which will be much easier to shift on.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Cardas seemed to have revamped their range.

They have dropped the Golden Ref range and the Golden Cross I/C: http://www.cardas.com/cables.php

I would try and get hold of the Clear Light S/C and I/C, which is a more affordable version of their top Clear / Clear Beyond cable - unless of course they are "giving away" the Golden Refs.

I think the Clear Light will also work well for both you and Rob.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I would be nervous about using anything other than the factory terminated ones....those original plugs are quite expensive. If you don't need more than 1.2m, think about sticking with the original ones, which will be much easier to shift on.

Dropped the deal on the cables...indeed I also prefer to stick with the 1.2mt and to move on if they are not my cup of tea...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Dropped the deal on the cables...indeed I also prefer to stick with the 1.2mt and to move on if they are not my cup of tea...

I think you are wise.

If you bide your time, you can normally pick them up at reasonable money.......get one, and see what you think.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime no news from the importer of BRs...after having promised they would contact Francis to see what they can arrange...no more news :(

I have also sent two reminders but nothing...just will send last email before dropping the idea...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
In the meantime no news from the importer of BRs...after having promised they would contact Francis to see what they can arrange...no more news :(

I have also sent two reminders but nothing...just will send last email before dropping the idea...

Emails are all too easy to ignore, especially with the backlog after the Christmas break.......give them a ring.

Has Rob got the Vertere cables, and if so, which ones?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Emails are all too easy to ignore, especially with the backlog after the Christmas break.......give them a ring.

Has Rob got the Vertere cables, and if so, which ones?

Maybe you are right, I will try to give them a call on Monday. I hate calls, prefer emails or meeting in person :D

Rob has got several cables and will report something tonight as didn't have the time so far for a proper listening. He got the best pair of speaker cables and I think 3 pairs of i/c

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound :D

TRENDING THREADS