Tube-friendly speakers

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Got answer from Vertere, apparently they contacted directly the importer in the netherlands which is ready to come to any dealer of my choice for a demo. I would have preferred to have the cables directly shipped to me to try for a few weeks before deciding if I am going to take them or not. Not sure I would be able to assess performance on cables during a demo with a system which is not mine, what do you think?

I agree....you can't make a proper judgement unless you hear them on your system, especially with the money that's involved. They should understand this, and work with you.

Can you speak to the importer, and ask to have the demo in your house, instead of a dealer*.....and if that proves promising, try to persuade them to either leave them with you for a while, or arrange a way for a longer trial. Once you meet face to face and form a relationship, it should be easier to come to an arrangement.

* If you can lay on other interested parties for this, it will give you more leverage (as well as giving a second opinion) - so make this clear.

Your other option would be to persuade the importer to send the cables to your preferred dealer, who would take responsibility for them and lend them to you.

If they refuse to accommodate you, still allow the demo, as they could well be worth the effort.....but you would have to be truly impressed to take the thing further.

There is always the possibility that they aren't for you.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So they actually agreed to come to Antwer bringing a pair of Pulse X speaker cables and Pulse B/C for I/C. I aganin stated my point saying for me is a deal breaker the fact of having to live with the cables for a while and couldn't be bothered about having a simple demo session at the dealers' shop. Hope they understand the point I am trying to make!

Now let's wait and see... :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
So they actually agreed to come to Antwer bringing a pair of Pulse X speaker cables and Pulse B/C for I/C. I aganin stated my point saying for me is a deal breaker the fact of having to live with the cables for a while and couldn't be bothered about having a simple demo session at the dealers' shop. Hope they understand the point I am trying to make!

I am constantly impressed with the lengths that you are prepared to go,in order to try stuff out....but imo it's the only way to truly find out what's right for you......let's hope this time it works out in the way that I think it should.

Looking forward to this episode of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure! ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I am constantly impressed with the lengths that you are prepared to go,in order to try stuff out....but imo it's the only way to truly find out what's right for you......let's hope this time it works out in the way that I think it should.

Looking forward to this episode of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure! ;)

I don't understand how it's possible to buy without trying...I am like that for everything, I never buy blind not even for small amounts. Plus I really enjoy the hunt... 8)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I don't understand how it's possible to buy without trying...

....Yes, but most people only listen to a couple of alternatives before making a decision...whereas you (and Roby) follow up all interesting suggestions.....which, if nothing else, makes for great reading!

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis, you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

I can play extremely loud if I wanted to with these 30 watts. It's not the loudness that worries me, ever, because I don't play very loud in my small apartment. The speakers has to be relatively easy to drive anyway, otherwise the bass might become too sloppy, slow and bloated, especially in my room that suffers from these kinds of problems naturally. And I listen to quite a lot of beat driven music aswell, for instance rock, country, blues, indie, shoegaze etc. But I love the mono tube amplifiers and the tubes, won't part with them! :)

I am returning the Harbeth's (30.1) tomorrow. I have enjoyed them for a week. I hear new things on every record I play.

The Audio Note speakers, are interesting still, for me, but not for my girlfriend, when I showed her the size of them. :) Darn.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
egoBen said:
The Audio Note speakers, are interesting still, for me, but not for my girlfriend, when I showed her the size of them. :) Darn.

They have different sizes......and they have some lovely wooden veneers. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
egoBen said:
Ocean37 said:
In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis, you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

I can play extremely loud if I wanted to with these 30 watts. It's not the loudness that worries me, ever, because I don't play very loud in my small apartment. The speakers has to be relatively easy to drive anyway, otherwise the bass might become too sloppy, slow and bloated, especially in my room that suffers from these kinds of problems naturally. And I listen to quite a lot of beat driven music aswell, for instance rock, country, blues, indie, shoegaze etc. But I love the mono tube amplifiers and the tubes, won't part with them! :)

I am returning the Harbeth's (30.1) tomorrow. I have enjoyed them for a week. I hear new things on every record I play.

So what are you going to do then?

You could always change your girlfriend!

grin.gif

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, sent a clear email saying a demo is cool but if they won't leave the demo cables I couldn't be bothered...as I won't decide after a quick demo if spending this amount on cables. Still haven't got an answer and they usually answer fast, lets see

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just took home a nice pair of Siltech 330L speaker cables ex-demo...they are actually VERY good. Overall I am enjoying more especially at lower volume. Also some of the excessive bass is gone...unbelievable what a pair of good speaker cables can do :)

Need to run a proper listening session tomorrow at higher volume but I could say straight away when connected that something has changed...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Just took home a nice pair of Siltech 330L speaker cables ex-demo...they are actually VERY good. Overall I am enjoying more especially at lower volume. Also some of the excessive bass is gone...unbelievable what a pair of good speaker cables can do :)

Need to run a proper listening session tomorrow at higher volume but I could say straight away when connected that something has changed...

Welcome to the land of the bemused!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Welcome to the land of the bemused!

They just brough a nice smile on my face, can't stop listening at the 4 vinyls I bought tonight! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
They just brough a nice smile on my face, can't stop listening at the 4 vinyls I bought tonight! :cheers:

I really hope Vertere have the good sense to work with you.....as imo. it will lead to mutual benefit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well, sent a clear email saying a demo is cool but if they won't leave the demo cables I couldn't be bothered...as I won't decide after a quick demo if spending this amount on cables. Still haven't got an answer and they usually answer fast, lets see

I was just reading up on your Siltech Cables here: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158:siltech-classic-anniversary-330i-interconnects-and-330l-speaker-cables&catid=55&Itemid=4

On the face of it, they look like a good choice, and will make an excellent benchmark.....though you will really need to hear the i/c as well, when you get the DS (and if possible compare it with a Linn Silver).

If Vertere prove difficult, tell them Siltech are happy to oblige (and sound excellent)!! :shifty:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I was just reading up on your Siltech Cables here: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158:siltech-classic-anniversary-330i-interconnects-and-330l-speaker-cables&catid=55&Itemid=4

On the face of it, they look like a good choice, and will make an excellent benchmark.....though you will really need to hear the i/c as well, when you get the DS (and if possible compare it with a Linn Silver).

If Vertere prove difficult, tell them Siltech are happy to oblige (and sound excellent)!! :shifty:

Cool, thanks for the interesting reading! I basically agree, they bring more clarity and detail for sure. This was shockingly evident at midnight's levels of volume. It was still vey involving and could hear clearly all details.

Haven't told you that I also took along the 330i interconnect? :D Still haven't installed them as I want to make sure what every piece brings in/remove before swapping components...I will leave the all day with cables only and add the interconnect tonight or tomorrow!

Only piece missing is a Siltech SPX800 power chord which I will be getting soon also to try. On the other side I might try a Shunyata Black Mamba

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Of course I couldn't resist and just swapped my Clearaudio smart wire RCA with the Siltech and replyaed the some vinyl again (The quite side of Blues company) and I was like that :O

Gained boody, clarity, details, space, trebles have been smoothed also...it's like listening to another turntable...how is that possible? I have always been skeptical about improvements cables can make...so far I think the interconnects probably brought the biggest improvement to the sound. Maybe because they have been coupled with matching and good speaker cables ? Anyway I don't care as the difference is evident... :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Anyway I don't care as the difference is evident... :dance:

You will be told it's expectation bias....but now you know why I go on about cables. The mains cable may bring even more improvement, and I will be intrigued in Siltech vs Shunyata (huge reputation).

If you have access to Atlas, you should try the Mavros.

Some people find the source responds best to a more expensive mains cable, but I have found that (especially high current) amps respnd better. FWIW. I got very little (if any) difference with the DS (probably due to its Dynamik power supply) - again, I will be waiting to see what you find.

Next, it will be Rob's turn.....he needs to try some; especially a m/c on the 35i.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Anyway I don't care as the difference is evident... :dance:

You will be told it's expectation bias....but now you know why I go on about cables. The mains cable may bring even more improvement, and I will be intrigued in Siltech vs Shunyata (huge reputation).

If you have access to Atlas, you should try the Mavros.

Some people find the source responds best to a more expensive mains cable, but I have found that (especially high current) amps respnd better. FWIW. I got very little (if any) difference with the DS (probably due to its Dynamik power supply) - again, I will be waiting to see what you find.

Next, it will be Rob's turn.....he needs to try some; especially a m/c on the 35i.

Yes, expectations of course :cheer:

Seriously the difference is so evident that I am wondering if the previous interconnects were correctly plugged and not inverted for example...which I know they were not. Again, this is probably the sinergy with speaker cables also. Something I noticed when swapping the interconnects is that at louder volumes everything became smoother and a few sibilances have goon completely...now is really enjoyable to low and louder volume.

I am also very curios now to what the two power chords will bring to the mix...for this need to wait a little as the Siltech was in order and should be arriving in a few days. The Shunyata will be taken next week. For now Francis gave me a KE power chord plus, apparently a product made in Holland. Still haven't tried to connect it.

For the phonostage I was also thinking about a Clearauido power supply which has a rechargeable battery inside and should provide with a steady DC tension to the phono stage, do you thing this might bring an improvement also?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
For the phonostage I was also thinking about a Clearauido power supply which has a rechargeable battery inside and should provide with a steady DC tension to the phono stage, do you thing this might bring an improvement also?

At a guess, I would say yes....but this is now outside my sphere of experience. You have a great dealer that will allow you to try stuff, which is invaluable.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

At a guess, I would say yes....but this is now outside my sphere of experience. You have a great dealer that will allow you to try stuff, which is invaluable.

Indeed, after this all experiencing with cables is over I will take home the Hydra power distributor from Shunyata and also this power supply for the phonostage to see if anything changes/improves.

Seriously Cno I cannot tell you how I am enjoying the turntable this morning...is like everything was lifted and I can finally hear what the system is capable of...every time a new instrument kicks in I have to stop whatever I am doing. I called Rob and said him to come just to make sure I am not fool :?

The disc "I wish - Tok Tok Tok" is just amazing...basses are so full and round and not at all overwhelming...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Indeed, after this all experiencing with cables is over I will take home the Hydra power distributor from Shunyata and also this power supply for the phonostage to see if anything changes/improves.

Seriously Cno I cannot tell you how I am enjoying the turntable this morning...is like everything was lifted and I can finally hear what the system is capable of...every time a new instrument kicks in I have to stop whatever I am doing. I called Rob and said him to come just to make sure I am not fool :?

The disc "I wish - Tok Tok Tok" is just amazing...basses are so full and round and not at all overwhelming...

Yup! :shifty:

...and this is exactly why I was encouraging you to try the 35i with Cardas cables, before coming to a decision......not that you now don't have the right system atm, for your taste.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

...and this is exactly why I was encouraging you to try the 35i with Cardas cables, before coming to a decision......not that you now don't have the right system atm, for your taste.

Now I fully understand everything you were telling me! ;)

Anyway the AMS wouldn't have been welcomed by the OH like the Jadis, so in the end it was a win-win situation for everybody! Can't do anything else this morning, I just want to sit and listen...unbelievable the amount of detail that is coming out of vinyls...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Anyway the AMS wouldn't have been welcomed by the OH like the Jadis, so in the end it was a win-win situation for everybody! Can't do anything else this morning, I just want to sit and listen...unbelievable the amount of detail that is coming out of vinyls...

On a different tack, any word on Rob's Avalons. :? 8)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts