Tube-friendly speakers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Pic of the rack I will try next week...

IMG_0508.jpg

One of the shelves will go to make space for the Jadis which will be probably also lift using some BRs (thanks to Cno) :cheers:

Can you get it easily, and have you tried it.

I might be able to find them...worst case next time I go to London I will get them if I can return...

Not tried yet but I trust you as whatever you said so far was true :clap:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Not tried yet but I trust you as whatever you said so far was true :clap:

That's the kiss of death! :shifty:

Now, if you can answer the questions on Page 8 / Post 12, I'll get an answer for you ASAP. ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Would be glad to try things. For now I am trying Lavardin cable...can also try Siltech and Shunyata which are in stock at Francis'. If I can get speaker cables with the option of sending it back I will be glad to do it!

A couple of quesions:

- What length cable do you need?

- What price bracket (ie. Pulse C; Pulse X; Pulse X Ref)?*...or you can discuss with Kronos, if I can set it up.

- Will you be jnterested in the i/c?

* Prices given post 9 - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/an-evening-with-touraj-moghaddam-vertere?page=2

I suspect Vertere should provide what you are looking for, but may work best when combined with the i/c.

Let me know the answers, and I will report back as soon as I've spoken to them on what they can do / have available.

Ups, sorry completely missed this! Not sure about which range I would need to really improve things...I consider more or less 10% of price of equipment in order to chose cable, and yes I would also need interconnects.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Ups, sorry completely missed this! Not sure about which range I would need to really improve things...I consider more or less 10% of price of equipment in order to chose cable, and yes I would also need interconnects.

Looking at your picture, 2m S/C should cover it.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Looking at your picture, 2m S/C should cover it.

Yes, more than enough!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Now if Carlsberg made standmounts !!.

I was reading a review on the Evolutions only the other day. Truly beautiful lookers. If I was in the market for standmounts these would be first on the dem list. Even if I didnt like the sound I would prolly just lick them all over !!.

Loudspeaker pron of the highest order.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Would be glad to try things. For now I am trying Lavardin cable...can also try Siltech and Shunyata which are in stock at Francis'. If I can get speaker cables with the option of sending it back I will be glad to do it!

Right, I've spoken with Gary at Kronos about Vertere, and the position is that they would be delighted to deal with you, but would need permission from Vertere (via email), as they would be going outside their area.

He said it should be as simple as contacting Vertere, and finding out if they are happy for this to happen, as it's possible they will either deal with you direct, or have a distributor that has been lined up.

I would put that:

1. You want to try their cables as a result of reading the write-up of the musical evening at Kronos on here.

2. You would like to deal with Kronos, as they come highly recommended and (if) you've used them before.

3. There are other possible customers in Brussels who are also interested (ie. Brussels Massive)

If it worked out, they would send you their demo S/Cs (probabaly 3m) / 1.2m I/C, and if you liked them, would then send you new ones. You would probably be responsible for postage....but you could negotiate in your usual way.

He said the standard smallest size of S/C is 2M, and that 1.5m would be as expensive, as they would be bespoke.

Apparantly the most popular size of I/C is the 0.65m.

I suspect you would need to be looking at the Pulse B for the I/C.....if 0.65 is too short, you add £160 for the 1.2m (if I picked him up right).

And Pulse X for the S/C.

This is not as "official" as it sounds....Kronos, just need to get the nod before going ahead. If Vertere have nobody appointed in your area, I can see no reason why this wouldn't happen, especially if you give your preference in dealing with a known and recommended dealer.

Let me know how this plays out.

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Right, I've spoken with Gary at Kronos about Vertere, and the position is that they would be delighted to deal with you, but would need permission from Vertere (via email), as they would be going outside their area.

He said it should be as simple as contacting Vertere, and finding out if they are happy for this to happen, as it's possible they will either deal with you direct, or have a distributor that has been lined up.

I would put that:

1. You want to try their cables as a result of reading the write-up of the musical evening at Kronos on here.

2. You would like to deal with Kronos, as they come highly recommended and (if) you've used them before.

3. There are other possible customers in Brussels who are also interested (ie. Brussels Massive)

If it worked out, they would send you their demo S/Cs (probabaly 3m) / 1.2m I/C, and if you liked them, would then send you new ones. You would probably be responsible for postage....but you could negotiate in your usual way.

He said the standard smallest size of S/C is 2M, and that 1.5m would be as expensive, as they would be bespoke.

Apparantly the most popular size of I/C is the 0.65m.

I suspect you would need to be looking at the Pulse B for the I/C.....if 0.65 is too short, you add £160 for the 1.2m (if I picked him up right).

And Pulse X for the S/C.

This is not as "official" as it sounds....Kronos, just need to get the nod before going ahead. If Vertere have nobody appointed in your area, I can see no reason why this wouldn't happen, especially if you give your preference in dealing with a known and recommended dealer.

Let me know how this plays out.

Cno

Wow, that's so cool, thanks a lot! I am away this weekend and I will be contacting Vertere beginning of next week. i have checked and they do not have appointed dealers in Belgium but for Benelux. Of course the closest dealer is in the Netherlands...

For sure there will be at least Rob interested in making the same test are he will be always soon looking for s/c and i/c.

I will keep you postd and once again, thanks a lot!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Wow, that's so cool, thanks a lot! I am away this weekend and I will be contacting Vertere beginning of next week. i have checked and they do not have appointed dealers in Belgium but for Benelux. Of course the closest dealer is in the Netherlands...

For sure there will be at least Rob interested in making the same test are he will be always soon looking for s/c and i/c.

I will keep you postd and once again, thanks a lot!

You are very welcome, my friend.

One thing I forgot to say, is the balanced version of the I/Cs are the same price as the RCA version.

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I am rigtht now listening to a pair of Harbeth 30.1 in my home using my Jadis JA30 mono's. Everything that has been said about these speakers are correct, the midrange is very clear and guitars, voices etc stand out perfectly and beautifully, it sounds very natural and "real". (A bit silly, but I couldn't help myself from crying a bit right away listening to the first tracks from Dylan's Bootleg Series vol 8 Tell Tale Signs, they have an almost magical realness to them, alternative versions of Mississippi and Most of The Time are the tracks.) The bass isn't crystal clear but with a solid state amp it would probably be. The bass is deep enough for my liking, and there's no boomyness at all, which makes me happy. The drawback is the the size, being bookshelve speakers, they are actually quite big and my girlfriend isn't too happy about this. The spekaers are pretty similar in sound to the smaller Harbeth P3ESR that I've heard earlier.

I also have the chance to hear a pair of Audio Note J's. I look forward to hearing them a lot.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
egoBen said:
I am rigtht now listening to a pair of Harbeth 30.1 in my home using my Jadis JA30 mono's. Everything that has been said about these speakers are correct, the midrange is very clear and guitars, voices etc stand out perfectly and beautifully, it sounds very natural and "real". (A bit silly, but I couldn't help muself from crying a bit right away listening to the first tracks from Dylan's Bootleg Series vol 8 Tell Tale Signs, they have an almost magical realness to them, alternative versions of Mississippi and Most of The Time are the tracks.) The bass isn't crystal clear but with a solid state amp it would probably be. The bass is deep enough for my liking, and there's no boomyness at all, which makes me happy. The drawback is the the size, being bookshelve speakers, they are actually quite big and my girlfriend isn't too happy about this. The spekaers are pretty similar in sound to the smaller Harbeth P3ESR that I've heard earlier.

I also have the chance to hear a pair of Audio Note J's. I look forward to hearing them a lot.

Jadis + Harbeth sounds like a match made in heaven. :cheer:

Look forward to hearing what you think of the AN-Js.....I've only heard their speakers on the end of their own kit, so will be interested in what you think.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
egoBen said:
I am rigtht now listening to a pair of Harbeth 30.1 in my home using my Jadis JA30 mono's. Everything that has been said about these speakers are correct, the midrange is very clear and guitars, voices etc stand out perfectly and beautifully, it sounds very natural and "real". (A bit silly, but I couldn't help myself from crying a bit right away listening to the first tracks from Dylan's Bootleg Series vol 8 Tell Tale Signs, they have an almost magical realness to them, alternative versions of Mississippi and Most of The Time are the tracks.) The bass isn't crystal clear but with a solid state amp it would probably be. The bass is deep enough for my liking, and there's no boomyness at all, which makes me happy. The drawback is the the size, being bookshelve speakers, they are actually quite big and my girlfriend isn't too happy about this. The spekaers are pretty similar in sound to the smaller Harbeth P3ESR that I've heard earlier.

Good to hear back from you, was wondering how you were getting on.

Not heard Audio Note speakers myself, but a brand that does interest me so look forward to your impressions.

Mac

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I have continued to listen to the Harbeth 30.1 speakers. My first impressions still stands, I am actually even more impressed! I read often that Harbeth make boring speakers. I couldn't disagree more. Every record I play sounds so natural, easy, airy, lean, smooth, real, detailed, balanced, involving etc etc... It's very obvious that they are easy to drive aswell, there is an "attack", a distinct sound, that I haven't heard with my others speakers (Amphion and Dynaudio) unless I use A LOT of power. I could easily live with these speakers, probably forever. One more thing, these are much better than the P3ESR speakers at least in my room (about 20sqm). I only wish Harbeth could make a speaker that's bigger than the P3ESR but smaller than this 30.1. My girlfriend told me she could pay 50% if I could find a speakers that sound as good with the same looks but are smaller. :)

The Audio Note AN-J speakers are ment to be but very close to the back wall, wich makes makes them interesting to listen to.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
egoBen said:
I have continued to listen to the Harbeth 30.1 speakers. My first impressions still stands, I am actually even more impressed! I read often that Harbeth make boring speakers. I couldn't disagree more. Every record I play sounds so natural, easy, airy, lean, smooth, real, detailed, balanced, involving etc etc... It's very obvious that they are easy to drive aswell, there is an "attack", a distinct sound, that I haven't heard with my others speakers (Amphion and Dynaudio) unless I use A LOT of power. I could easily live with these speakers, probably forever. One more thing, these are much better than the P3ESR speakers at least in my room (about 20sqm). I only wish Harbeth could make a speaker that's bigger than the P3ESR but smaller than this 30.1. My girlfriend told me she could pay 50% if I could find a speakers that sound as good with the same looks but are smaller. :)

The Audio Note AN-J speakers are ment to be but very close to the back wall, wich makes makes them interesting to listen to.

Boring!... never! natural and balanced is exactly what you get with Harbeth.

Such a pity you couldn't try the Shl5's, you would be even more impressed.

When will you be trying Audio Note?

Mac

Motaactuade

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
KkmaVCQB Canada Goose Calgary
bwuiSSDtl http://www.canadagooseonlineshopschweiz.eu
dzukwxtggu Canada Goose Doudoune
VYCwNycsv civdgh Ugg Stiefel
HqrGOTZKfat KfxrVVTY Ugg Boots Billig
fnxaRJFvm EbeeUAAO http://www.canadagoosefactorymontreal.eu
xxknXGNgv

Motaactuade

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
KkmaVCQB Canada Goose Calgary
bwuiSSDtl http://www.canadagooseonlineshopschweiz.eu
dzukwxtggu Canada Goose Doudoune
VYCwNycsv civdgh Ugg Stiefel
HqrGOTZKfat KfxrVVTY Ugg Boots Billig
fnxaRJFvm EbeeUAAO http://www.canadagoosefactorymontreal.eu
xxknXGNgv

A

Anonymous

In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis, you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
In my experience , the quality of the output transformers are the most important. When this is of good quality , you can drive almost every type of speakers. Mine are 84db and my tube poweramp delivers 50 Watts p/channel. And it goes very loud when needed. As for your Jadis, you can expect the outputransformers are of great quality.

You are right and this is what I have realised by trying, was always surprised by how loud without distorting a "low-powered" tube amp can go when driving "inefficient" speakers.

onlystyle

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
go and visit the tekton webbsite

tekton pendragon

are as good as reference models

and cost til 30 times lesser than those

sensitivity 98

20 hz - 30 khz

sorry because i am not searching for speakers i don't know if they deliver in europe

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
onlystyle said:
go and visit the tekton webbsite

tekton pendragon

are as good as reference models

and cost til 30 times lesser than those

sensitivity 98

20 hz - 30 khz

sorry because i am not searching for speakers i don't know if they deliver in europe

Thanks but I am not looking for speakers anymore, I just bought those :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Got answer from Vertere, apparently they contacted directly the importer in the netherlands which is ready to come to any dealer of my choice for a demo. I would have preferred to have the cables directly shipped to me to try for a few weeks before deciding if I am going to take them or not. Not sure I would be able to assess performance on cables during a demo with a system which is not mine, what do you think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts