TrevC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

expat_mike said:
radiorog said:
So if a brain creates concious, this brings me back to how is it Me, or You?

A painter creates a painting, but the brain does not create conciousness. Your brain exists during non-dreaming sleep, but one is not concious. Conciousness is an emergent property of the brain.

So the state of conciousness is separate from the physical existance of the brain, and a soul (if it existed) would be different from both the brain and conciousness (because it is alleged that the soul exists after the brain has decomposed, and conciousness ended).

https://www.quora.com/Is-consciousness-an-emergent-property-of-the-brain-or-a-fundamental-property-of-matter

Conciousness is a brain function too. We know this. How could a fighter be knocked unconcious by a punch to the head otherwise? How could anesthesia work? The idea that the soul and consciousness are separate entities floating around is fluffy minded nonsense.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
TrevC said:
keeper of the quays said:
TrevC said:
Is this it then Trev? All we have to look forward to is rheumatism and then when we pass to nothingness! Seems a recipe for selfishness..things we loved and have passed on..we will never see again? We start as dust then return to dust and the inbetween bit is just one long jolly!what a miserable existence! I firmly believe that souls go somewhere...the where? Is open to conjecture! So Trevor when you and me cark it! Lol..our souls will whizz out of us like a missile to where? I just hope they have decent hifi there? I reckon it's a iPod set up with tripath amp..and AE reference speakers! Or a load of harps!

This is it, yes. All there is. Of course you are free to imagine silly things about souls living on and going to heaven, it's a free country. :O)

All human experience is mediated by the brain. We know this. A dead brain can't experience an afterlife.
don't confuse the brain with the soul..quite different..when your mf amp was working..and you played music through it..and it moved you? That wasn't your brain being moved it was your soul..being in love for example it's not the brain..its the soul..soulmates is when two people gel..not brain mates..when you look at the sky at night and it's full of stars and you may marvel at the size of the universe..its not your brain..its your soul responding...have you ever seen a dead person that you knew when alive? They are a empty vessel..the soul has gone..the soul is infinite..it can't die..its beauty can be hidden behind a load of twaddle! But it's the best of us..its the inner spark..a great gift indeed..we need to be more soul minded..

The soul is a brain function. It is a remarkable organ, but can't survive death.

The words of a man with no soul :) Just a sheet of iron where a heart should be :) and 2 lumps of cotton wool where his ears should be quiet clearly..... :)

The man that persists in saying that he hears differences in fuses even though it has been patiently explained to him how it simply isn't possible and the man that imagines that an insult is a valid response in a debate. Sad.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Your confusing a joke with an insult there TrevC.

And its not just any old fuse btw. You have skipped happily over a few things I have asked you lately in this thread and in another. So if you get a chance to reply I am interested in it

K

keeper of the quays

All of us have souls..even Trev! Lol whether we choose to acknowledge this is up to us...when I was a young man..i thought similar to Trevor..i would argue the toss about anything! Thinking I knew better..as I'm getting older I'm finding I know nothing really..life has a way of bashing preconceived notions in my view..i can't prove we all have souls..i just know we have! We are spirit beings having a human experience..

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
DocG said:
What a sad place this forum's become... Ridiculing people's religion. And now language skills. What's your Portuguese like, Trevor? Or your Turkish? *sad*

What a sad and barbaric world we live in because so many people believe in marginally differing and derivative barbaric and irrational nonsense about gods, and old translated books that describe in graphic detail how they must murder people like me that call them on it. Ridiculing it is our duty. Check out the atheist bloggers of Bangladesh. People are still being killed for the non-crime of blasphemy because they speak the truth. How sad it is that we have a born again religious lunatic in charge of our schools and a loony homeopathy advocate as health minister.

For the record: I'm a convinced atheist myself. But that doesn't mean I feel like bashing people who do believe. As an aside: when in Indonesia, some (very friendly) locals asked me what religion I had (they were Hindu themselves). When I said I didn't believe in any God, they really laughed their ar*e off. How can you not believe? They didn't get it!

And our Belgian health minister does very well, thank you, having practiced as a GP for 25 years first! *blum3*

TrevC said:
I didn't know he was Portuguese or Turkish because I'm not psychic. Nobody is.

But you guessed he isn't a native speaker, right? (and me neither, which is why I'm on the fence here). So let me rephrase: how many foreign languages do you speak and write well?

TrevC

All of us have souls..even Trev! Lol whether we choose to acknowledge this is up to us...when I was a young man..i thought similar to Trevor..i would argue the toss about anything! Thinking I knew better..as I'm getting older I'm finding I know nothing really..life has a way of bashing preconceived notions in my view..i can't prove we all have souls..i just know we have! We are spirit beings having a human experience..

I acknowledge the brain function that provides us with the feeling that we have a soul and the imagination that tells us there is such a thing as a spirit.

http://www.michaelshermer.com/2003/03/demon-haunted-brain/

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:

I acknowledge the brain function that provides us with the feeling that we have a soul and the imagination that tells us there is such a thing as a spirit.

Do you have a scientific explanation for 'Love'?

TrevC

DocG said:
TrevC said:
DocG said:
What a sad place this forum's become... Ridiculing people's religion. And now language skills. What's your Portuguese like, Trevor? Or your Turkish? *sad*

What a sad and barbaric world we live in because so many people believe in marginally differing and derivative barbaric and irrational nonsense about gods, and old translated books that describe in graphic detail how they must murder people like me that call them on it. Ridiculing it is our duty. Check out the atheist bloggers of Bangladesh. People are still being killed for the non-crime of blasphemy because they speak the truth. How sad it is that we have a born again religious lunatic in charge of our schools and a loony homeopathy advocate as health minister.

For the record: I'm a convinced atheist myself. But that doesn't mean I feel like bashing people who do believe. As an aside: when in Indonesia, some (very friendly) locals asked me what religion I had (they were Hindu themselves). When I said I didn't believe in any God, they really laughed their ar*e off. How can you not believe? They didn't get it!

And our Belgian health minister does very well, thank you, having practiced as a GP for 25 years first! *blum3*

TrevC said:
I didn't know he was Portuguese or Turkish because I'm not psychic. Nobody is.

But you guessed he isn't a native speaker, right? (and me neither, which is why I'm on the fence here). So let me rephrase: how many foreign languages do you speak and write well?

Are Thompson or Ellis native speakers? It's hard to tell. It never occurred to me that he might not be, no. I have schoolboy French, German and Latin.

I have no problems with non-violent religious people, but I do have a problem with violent Muslims living here and children's heads being filled with religious bunk in our state schools.

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Altruism is an evolved trait that's beneficial to the success of our tribe. Love between human beings is an extension of this.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Altruism is an evolved trait that's beneficial to the success of our tribe. Love between human beings is an extension of this.

Then explain love of music, Art, pets, inanimate objects etc....

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

Perhaps by now you are beginning to understand just how small and cold your world is?

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

Perhaps by now you are beginning to understand just how small and cold your world is?

Not so, it's big and warm. I don't need uber priced stereo equipment to make me happy, helping both of my daughters on to the housing ladder has made me much happier. Your system cries out for a sub, by the way.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130418-why-does-music-make-us-feel-good

That should get you started. Like in itself is obvious. We like to have sex - if we did not, we would not survive as a species. We like to eat, but food that smells off we don't like - again, all about survival. Once you have the ability to like sex and food then it can be extended to any number of things. Having big brains is an evolutionary advantage but it also has some side effects that we develop tastes and behaviours that have no useful (in evolutionary terms) purpose. I don't see why this is hard to fathom and does not require any sky fairies.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

Not so, it's big and warm. I don't need uber priced stereo equipment to make me happy, helping both of my daughters on to the housing ladder has made me much happier. Your system cries out for a sub, by the way.

I'm delighted for your daughters. Uber priced stereo equipment simply adds to my happiness. No need for a sub, in either system, thanks.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

How unpleasant and stupid. Just because not everyone believes in iron age myths doesn't mean they are narrow and miserable. The universe is an amazing place and we learn new and exciting things about it all the time. Those who believe the truth is all in an old book are those with small lives.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Romans had the right idea. Stick you both in a pit with some weapons and bet on who gets out alive.

I'm for a bit more pluralism. It ####s up the fundamentalists on all sides.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

How unpleasant and stupid. Just because not everyone believes in iron age myths doesn't mean they are narrow and miserable. The universe is an amazing place and we learn new and exciting things about it all the time. Those who believe the truth is all in an old book are those with small lives.

Couldn't agree more. And those who believe that everything can be explained by science only, belong in the same club as those who believe in an old book.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
What language do Trolls speak?

Norwegian.... surely everyone knows that ? Have you never seen the film TrollHunter ??
It's a ****** of a language to understand, I found this out a couple of weeks ago.
Also £10 for a pint of lager..... That hurt.....

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

I'm delighted for your daughters. Uber priced stereo equipment simply adds to my happiness. No need for a sub, in either system, thanks.

Your standmounted speakers can't really do proper deep bass.
Ye cannae change laws of physics, Jim
It seems a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. Try one with an antimode.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:

Things you like a lot.

Then explain 'like'.

Explain 'explain'.

Your standmounted speakers can't really do proper deep bass.

Ye cannae change laws of physics, Jim

It seems a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. Try one with an antimode.

You should hear either pair fed by a Devialet using SAM...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Interesting you got an uptone audio regen - what do you think of it - what USB cable do you use with it??

What are you powering the Regen with?

I could tell you a 100 things to do to give you better sound like that has done, are you on AVF?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts