TrevC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
radiorog said:
Oh and off topic, I believe I still owe you an apology Major for a comment I made in your general direction a few weeks back. I can't remember what it was about, but was meaning to get back. So sorry.
No idea what that was, and I'm certainly not bothered about it, so don't even think about it. We all get tight-knickered now and again, it's because we're passionate about our hobby and beliefs. But mostly it's just banter, I'd happily meet nearly everyone on here in real life, have a proper chat and buy you a beer, or whatever floats your boat, no matter what cross words have been typed between us. There's only one person on here I'd happily deck if I ever met him.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
TrevC said:
MajorFubar said:
There's only one person on here I'd happily deck if I ever met him.

Thompson?

lol!! no! Those who know who the person is, know why I feel so strongly. It's not hifi related. If there was a messaging facility on the forum, I'd tell you, but it's not something I'm going to discuss here to take this thread even more o/t.

I can keep a secret ...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
MajorFubar said:
Anyhow religion has never been the problem. Intolerance is the problem.

Find me a tolerant religion widely practised. They teach intolerance.

I'm atheist and I don't really know enough about any of them to agree or disagree. But I know if there was no such thing as religion the human race would still find something to fight and kill about. We are both communal and divisive by nature. I'm mates with him over there because he supports my football team. But I hate him over there because he doesn't. Feel free to swap 'football team' for any one of a million things.

TrevC

MajorFubar said:
TrevC said:
MajorFubar said:

Find me a tolerant religion widely practised. They teach intolerance.

I'm atheist and I don't really know enough about any of them to agree or disagree. But I know if there was no such thing as religion the human race would still find something to fight and kill about. We are both communal and divisive by nature. I'm mates with him over there because he supports my football team. But I hate him over there because he doesn't. Feel free to swap 'football team' for any one of a million things.

I'm happy to tolerate the mainly harmless nonsense of the Anglican church here, but not happy to tolerate ISIS.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
radiorog said:
Oh and off topic, I believe I still owe you an apology Major for a comment I made in your general direction a few weeks back. I can't remember what it was about, but was meaning to get back. So sorry.
No idea what that was, and I'm certainly not bothered about it, so don't even think about it. We all get tight-knickered now and again, it's because we're passionate about our hobby and beliefs. But mostly it's just banter, I'd happily meet nearly everyone on here in real life, have a proper chat and buy you a beer, or whatever floats your boat, no matter what cross words have been typed between us. There's only one person on here I'd happily deck if I ever met him.

Good stuff *drinks*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
All human experience is mediated by the brain. We know this. A dead brain can't experience an afterlife.

[/quote]

A very good argument. But where did You come from Trev? How come You are here? For me, the probability of actually Me being here is almost beyond infinitesimal. And even if it was infinitesimal, that makes Me an event that was always going to happen, like yourself and everyone else. It's seemingly impossible for me convey what I'm trying to say as the question simply brings about more questions, but the fact that You and I are actually here, is beyond anything science or mathematics has come anywhere close to explaining. The fact that we are inevitable, opens the possibility for us always being here, and therefore an afterlife.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think this thread needs to be moved to Off Topic because it's never been related to HiFi really, and is increasingly less so every post. What's more it's very clearly a thread where no good will come of it.?

We should all respect people from different viewpoints and ill all say that its just as disrespectful for religous people to show disrespect to non believers its just we should not even discuss these things on a hifi forum.

TrevC

Andrewjvt said:
MajorFubar said:
I think this thread needs to be moved to Off Topic because it's never been related to HiFi really, and is increasingly less so every post. What's more it's very clearly a thread where no good will come of it.

We should all respect people from different viewpoints and ill all say that its just as disrespectful for religous people to show disrespect to non believers its just we should not even discuss these things on a hifi forum.

Nobody has to discuss anything they don't want to wherever, but, as Churchill is reputed to have said, "Better to jaw jaw than to war war". Religion imposes itself on everyone, I think we should be allowed to discuss it on my thread.

TrevC

radiorog said:
All human experience is mediated by the brain. We know this. A dead brain can't experience an afterlife.

A very good argument. But where did You come from Trev? How come You are here? For me, the probability of actually Me being here is almost beyond infinitesimal.

[/quote]

That's why you should make the most of the only life you get.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:

A very good argument. But where did You come from Trev? How come You are here? For me, the probability of actually Me being here is almost beyond infinitesimal. And even if it was infinitesimal, that makes Me an event that was always going to happen, like yourself and everyone else. It's seemingly impossible for me convey what I'm trying to say as the question simply brings about more questions, but the fact that You and I are actually here, is beyond anything science or mathematics has come anywhere close to explaining. The fact that we are inevitable, opens the possibility for us always being here, and therefore an afterlife.

[/quote]

OK, I just figured out the question of life and accidentally deleted it!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
radiorog said:

A very good argument. But where did You come from Trev? How come You are here? For me, the probability of actually Me being here is almost beyond infinitesimal.

That's why you should make the most of the only life you get.

[/quote]

Agreed, but I said almost ;-)

Nobody has any control over their actions though, IMO. It's just consciousness learning.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try and remember what I wrote.

Basically I was pondering we are not simply the result of the body forming. My brain has neurons and receives and sends electrical impulses to and from the body, to help me negotiate life and the world I live in. I have senses and am lucky enough to be sighted and have hearing so I can see the visible light spectrum, and use this to make assertions regarding my surroundings, although we all know we can be fooled and are open to illusions, of all kind. I have kidneys that regulate salt and water intake with my body but that is not who I am. Just like I am not the brain. I am Me, and You are you.

So if a brain creates concious, this brings me back to how is it Me, or You? Does the infinitesimality make it inevitable, or are we all the same being? We are the being that is consciousness, like a Lion is a Lion, and a fish is a fish. But if we are all the same being, that brings us back to the question how is it Me/You?

Anyhoo, I definitely haven't managed to recreate the amazing insightfulness of the accidentally deleted post, you can thank this amazing site for the loss of the most enlightning thing to come the way of humanity in thousands of years.. *crying with laughter"

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
keeper of the quays said:
Is this it then Trev? All we have to look forward to is rheumatism and then when we pass to nothingness! Seems a recipe for selfishness..things we loved and have passed on..we will never see again? We start as dust then return to dust and the inbetween bit is just one long jolly!what a miserable existence! I firmly believe that souls go somewhere...the where? Is open to conjecture! So Trevor when you and me cark it! Lol..our souls will whizz out of us like a missile to where? I just hope they have decent hifi there? I reckon it's a iPod set up with tripath amp..and AE reference speakers! Or a load of harps!

This is it, yes. All there is. Of course you are free to imagine silly things about souls living on and going to heaven, it's a free country. :O)

don't confuse the brain with the soul..quite different..when your mf amp was working..and you played music through it..and it moved you? That wasn't your brain being moved it was your soul..being in love for example it's not the brain..its the soul..soulmates is when two people gel..not brain mates..when you look at the sky at night and it's full of stars and you may marvel at the size of the universe..its not your brain..its your soul responding...have you ever seen a dead person that you knew when alive? They are a empty vessel..the soul has gone..the soul is infinite..it can't die..its beauty can be hidden behind a load of twaddle! But it's the best of us..its the inner spark..a great gift indeed..we need to be more soul minded..

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
So if a brain creates concious, this brings me back to how is it Me, or You?

A painter creates a painting, but the brain does not create conciousness. Your brain exists during non-dreaming sleep, but one is not concious. Conciousness is an emergent property of the brain.

So the state of conciousness is separate from the physical existance of the brain, and a soul (if it existed) would be different from both the brain and conciousness (because it is alleged that the soul exists after the brain has decomposed, and conciousness ended).

https://www.quora.com/Is-consciousness-an-emergent-property-of-the-brain-or-a-fundamental-property-of-matter

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
radiorog said:
So if a brain creates concious, this brings me back to how is it Me, or You?

A painter creates a painting, but the brain does not create conciousness. Your brain exists during non-dreaming sleep, but one is not concious. Conciousness is an emergent property of the brain.

So the state of conciousness is separate from the physical existance of the brain, and a soul (if it existed) would be different from both the brain and conciousness (because it is alleged that the soul exists after the brain has decomposed, and conciousness ended).

https://www.quora.com/Is-consciousness-an-emergent-property-of-the-brain-or-a-fundamental-property-of-matter

I can agree with that totally. It fits myargument. Thanks for putting in words better than I was hinting at.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
rainsoothe said:
TrevC said:
rainsoothe said:
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
Ah, damn... too bad. If it was the other way around, you would be able to tell amps apart AND not spout nonsense on forums! :)

Guys (and girls ... though I doubt it)* ... its only Hifi  :)

* I thought I'd raise something else we can bicker over, yeeepeeehh

The thread is about me. I demand you talk about me. *biggrin*

you're a deaf ignoarmus

I am going deaf, but I do still have arms.?

Ah, damn... too bad. If it would've been the other way around, you would be able to tell amps apart AND not spout nonsense on forums! :)

I've never had any trouble hearing the large differences between speakers and cartridges but have always found amplifiers to be too similar to worry about. Life is too short. :O)

This comment only holds sway if you can honestly say you have heard a lot of amplifiers from cheap to expensive from solid state to the various valves for a good listening session.

Otherwise it's as subjective nonsense comment as you claim everyone else's are

TrevC

TrevC said:
Is this it then Trev? All we have to look forward to is rheumatism and then when we pass to nothingness! Seems a recipe for selfishness..things we loved and have passed on..we will never see again? We start as dust then return to dust and the inbetween bit is just one long jolly!what a miserable existence! I firmly believe that souls go somewhere...the where? Is open to conjecture! So Trevor when you and me cark it! Lol..our souls will whizz out of us like a missile to where? I just hope they have decent hifi there? I reckon it's a iPod set up with tripath amp..and AE reference speakers! Or a load of harps!

This is it, yes. All there is. Of course you are free to imagine silly things about souls living on and going to heaven, it's a free country. :O)

don't confuse the brain with the soul..quite different..when your mf amp was working..and you played music through it..and it moved you? That wasn't your brain being moved it was your soul..being in love for example it's not the brain..its the soul..soulmates is when two people gel..not brain mates..when you look at the sky at night and it's full of stars and you may marvel at the size of the universe..its not your brain..its your soul responding...have you ever seen a dead person that you knew when alive? They are a empty vessel..the soul has gone..the soul is infinite..it can't die..its beauty can be hidden behind a load of twaddle! But it's the best of us..its the inner spark..a great gift indeed..we need to be more soul minded..

The soul is a brain function. It is a remarkable organ, but can't survive death.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
TrevC said:

The soul is a brain function. It is a remarkable organ, but can't survive death.

The words of a man with no soul :) Just a sheet of iron where a heart should be :) and 2 lumps of cotton wool where his ears should be quiet clearly..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts