Time for a new AV amp

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
After only 2 years of badgering, I've been given a tentative "oh go on then" reponse to my upgrade plea.

I've been tempted by two particular bits of kit, being:

Pioneer's SC-LX 73 - best price £1049 from RGB (http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SKUNumber=110574&Model=Pioneer-SCLX73); and

Arcam AVR500 - best price Peter Tyson (http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/arcam_avr500.shtml?fshop)

My kit is B&W 685/HMT61/686, with a Jamo Sub and silver anniversary XT cables. I've got a Sony 760 BD player, a Sony 40w4500 tv, and a Feesat FoxsatHD. I hope to use this for a/v:music on a 70:30 basis (although the current amp Denon 1909 is really poor with music, so I've rarely used it for music).

The Arcam is a little (lot) over budget and doesn't have the iPod connectivity of the Pioneer. Also, the Arcam has had bad "bug" press (has that been resolved entirely?).

Gee, I'm really talking myself into the Pioneer!

Any views?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
From looking at London dealers, there are very few that stock the Arcam, and none that can match the Tyson price (not happy to demo and then buy elsewhere...). Might just demo the Pioneer and get it if i love it....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Pioneer is indeed a superb option. While you're out demo-ing, however, it'd be worth checking out some of the newer models in your budget-range too - Yamaha and Onkyo, for example - just to get an idea of the different offerings available (in terms of performance and features).

Have fun auditioning. And you're in for a treat when you finally do buy: you've got a great speaker package that really thrives on the end of a more powerful/capable amp

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks Clare.

I think (for the sake of saving some pennies and sanity) I'll look at the Pioneer 73 and the Yamaha 3067. I've done some searching on here, and I think there was talk of a 73 review, but it seems not to have been published - is it sitting on a shelf somewhere, or did you decide not to bother in the end?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi BA

Re the AVR500

- The biggest problem with this amp was overheating and a mod seems to have sorted that. There may also be occasional pops when changing source, but nothing too serious (probably similar to the AVR600 which I own, and wouldn't part with).

- Check out another AV forum under "Arcam Products"...slightly mixed reports but those that perservered are now mostly happy, though its worth reading through for yourself.

- If this is an option, check that it has had the mod, and the latest firmware; also how P. Tyson will handle it if there is a problem (eg. Will they organize collection).

- Coming from a Denon, the Arcam may be a closer match.

- IMO Nothing under £3500 matches it for music, and it holds its own up to £2k for AV (only slightly biased)....at the money it's a must consider.

- If you fill in the Warrenty form, you should get it extended to 5 years...worth checking this still applies.

This is all academic if you go straight for the Pioneer, all I'm trying to do, is to get you to think twice before deciding.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Cno

A

Anonymous

I have the SC-LX73 and it's an awesome machine, very musical, but absolutely awesome for movies. I recently re-set it (for fun) and turned off the swave/ EQ functions and just calibrated the speakers with a SPL meter and my speakers have just come alive, absolutely amazing.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks. New Onks are less ugly, but still ugly. I quite like the look of the Marantz, but may be put off by the fact the main display is obscured.

I quite like how Pioneers sound. My first amp was a Pioneer (VSA-E03 and exceptionally budget) paired with Mission 771e speakers. I loved how it sounded, and really struggled to love the Denon (too woolly with music, although apparently it's "warm", not woolly).

Where do Marantz sit in the warm/bright scale, and how do Yamahas relate too (when paired with B&W).

thanks

Fisherman1

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Despite being over budget I would recommend you find somewhere to demo the Arcam AVR500. Do you have a Best Buy locally?

I have just been through the process. I had the Yamaha 3067 and Pioneer SC-LX 83 on my list in addition to the Arcam. To my mind, on pure ability to reproduce music and movies, the Arcam is in a different league. Maybe not a fair comparison given the Arcam was £2,500.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You must try and demo the Arcam.I got mine from P Tyson.No probs with it at all.5 year Arcam warranty.Sings with both movies and music.A steal at the price.You may find you will listen to more music if you go for the Arcam as it is so good at this compared to the competition.
The Lx 73 is a superb receiver as is the Marantz.Demo as many as you can.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
thanks. New Onks are less ugly, but still ugly. I quite like the look of the Marantz, but may be put off by the fact the main display is obscured.

I quite like how Pioneers sound. My first amp was a Pioneer (VSA-E03 and exceptionally budget) paired with Mission 771e speakers. I loved how it sounded, and really struggled to love the Denon (too woolly with music, although apparently it's "warm", not woolly).

Where do Marantz sit in the warm/bright scale, and how do Yamahas relate too (when paired with B&W).

thanks

Marantz is usually warm sounding (like Yamaha).
It is very hard to tell you what sounds best, because taste differs. You really need to audition the different options.
Personally I preferred Yamaha with my B&W speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts