Time for a new AMP

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Im upgrading my setup and just managed to snag a set of PMC Twenty 21's and I've now started looking for a suitable integrated amp to partner it.

A while back I did demo the Nait 5si and found it to be a similar level to what I already have (Rotel RA-03) so I have been considering the XS2. What else can anyone recommend I check out at around the same level?

rainsoothe

Hey - XS2 is a good bet and a great amp. You could also consider Arcam A39, used Supernait or Supernait 2 and maybe tube stuff like Jadis Orchestra if it fits your budget (although, last I checked, it was more expensive then a SN2).

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
m0n5t3r said:
Im upgrading my setup and just managed to snag a set of PMC Twenty 21's and I've now started looking for a suitable integrated amp to partner it.

A while back I did demo the Nait 5si and found it to be a similar level to what I already have (Rotel RA-03) so I have been considering the XS2. What else can anyone recommend I check out at around the same level?

Would you consider going second hand? Do you have a budget in mind?

Some other options that might be worth considering:

Creek 100a

Electrocompaniet ECI3

Roksan Caspian M2

From my experience with PMC22s they only get better the more power they're given *good*

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Reliabilty - sound quality - people listen and make an informed choice. I used to be a sceptic - I listened - I bought in. My choice.

I didn't think anyone was overly critical in anyway on this thread.

tonky

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
{quote=m0n5t3r]

[/quote] No no one has been critical and indeed we all make choices, it was my suprise by the quote in the OP about the 5si simular to the Rotel RA-03! i had a RA-04 it was awfull!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I can vouch for the combination of Abrahamsen / Electrocompaniet amps with PMC speakers , or any other speakers for that matter !

They will drive anything you care to connect to them equally well and always supply whatever the speaker asks for !

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Volkswagen - Naim - reliability. Rotel RA -03 and RA- 04 - . Two different amps? How is it possible to compare? Maybe it's just me - but it seems as if you're being critical to Naim amps for some reason when the thread wasn't really about that.

tonky

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
But all I am saying is one person's observation is related to one example - the RA - 03 amp and the op's conclusion in his particular system - so all sorts of factors come into play - system synergy etc.

The RA-04 is a different model (very highly rated by some - not you, obviously). But I don't think it's really possible to compare the two amps (03 and 04 - and by inference the Naim 5si and then - by inference - the whole Naim brand. It just seemed a cheap shot at Naim for some reason with nothing really substantial factually to back it up.

Got nothing to do with brand loyalty at all but everything to do accuracy

tonky

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey there, I have some PMC Twenty .23 floorstanders and they are partnerned usually with a Naim XS and a Teddy Pardo PSU (great upgrade, comparable with a hicap dr). I'm very happy with the sound and can highly recommend the partnering. I am currently running an XS-2 (whilst my xs is back with naim having a niggle sorted) and the sound between the new XS-2 and my current XS (mk2 60w) is almost the same to my ears.

If I were you I'd look for a good used Naim XS and have done with it... you can pick good one up between £750-£850. I got mine used for £850 via a secondhand dealer, saved myself £900 versus a new XS-2.

If you get a used one then you can maybe splash out on a PSU for it. Teddy Pardo do a 14 day money back guarantee.

Good luck, hope that helped!

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
No no one has been critical and indeed we all make choices, it was my suprise by the quote in the OP about the 5si simular to the Rotel RA-03! i had a RA-04 it was awfull!

The RA-04 is actually quite a good amp for £250 but don't presume the 04 is a bigger brother to the 03... The RA-03 was out years before and was £500+ new, the replacement is the RA-06 which from what I can gather is not up to the same standard as the RA-03 which was well regarded at the time for the price.

With regards to the comparison to the 5si, there was not much to choose between them when I tested but that may have been more to do with the output as the 5si is only 40w pc and the RA-03 is 70w pc.

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I really dont no how Naim get away with it! Its a bit like VW and reliability!

Price wise I personally think all the Naim gear is slightly overpriced but they are able to do that after making so many great things and continue to do so.

The XS2 for example, should probably be more like £1400-£1500 rrp instead of £1715 but it is still probably one of, if not the best integrated around that range.

After my demo of the 5si, I personally think it should be no more than £750. At £925 I think it is overpriced, but that's just my opinion.

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
T1mb0 said:
Would you consider going second hand? Do you have a budget in mind?

Some other options that might be worth considering:

Creek 100a

Electrocompaniet ECI3

Roksan Caspian M2

From my experience with PMC22s they only get better the more power they're given *good*

I agree with the power comment completely, I know some people get obsessed with it but personally I think one of the things that really let the 5si down in comparison to my RA-03 was that it is only 40w pc. Although I know it is technically enough to drive the PMC's, Quad 11L (my old speakers) and the Neat pair I tested it just didn't really seem to be enough to really grab hold of them and have full control.

In terms of new/used, I'm really open to anything at this stage. I managed to get hold of the PMC's for a good price off ebay and although I won't be able to test properly with my setup until this weekend I'm fairly sure that my amp will need upgrading to get the most out of them.

Budget wise around £1500max, but obviously willing to budge a little to get what I want.

I have just found an ex-demo XS2 for just under £1400, which seems more like it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts