Thorens turntables

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I've just been looking about on eBay as you do, and I stumbled on some modified Thorens turntables, they look like pieces of art, a company in Germany I think make them.

My question is, is there any reason to steer clear of these old turntables and are/were Thorens a good manufacturer of turntables etc.

Just wondering what people with more experience than me think.

Thanks

Reactions: john13

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well the trouble is they are based in Germany but do have a return policy. Apparently they are completely refurbished and restored.

The only reason I'm looking at them is they look completely original to anything else. Can I also ask what model is worth getting. The ones I've seen are a TD318 TD166 TD160 and TD146......

Well the trouble is they are based in Germany but do have a return policy. Apparently they are completely refurbished and restored.

The only reason I'm looking at them is they look completely original to anything else. Can I also ask what model is worth getting. The ones I've seen are a TD318 TD166 TD160 and TD146......
difficult to say as they made so many versions of each particular model. None of them are rubbish....depends on your budget I guess.
Do they do a TD124?

Last edited:
Old Thoren swiss original in factory state are worth big money these days $10,000+ some models
modified versions would not bother unless very cheap
The problem is you cannot bring these back to life on the cheap.
If you want cheap you are better off buying a new turntable.
The cost and limited availability of spare parts for decks like these mean they are either bodged or expensive.
I feel modern turntable design and particularly tonearms are likely to give the older decks a good run for their money for similar prices.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi
I've just been looking about on eBay as you do, and I stumbled on some modified Thorens turntables, they look like pieces of art, a company in Germany I think make them.

My question is, is there any reason to steer clear of these old turntables and are/were Thorens a good manufacturer of turntables etc.

Thanks
in a few words , thorens were the best turntables possible along with a few others ,and today if well kept still the same , this till early 80´s ,the more recent models i never tried them

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
talking about thorens turntables , why the finearts turntables that were built by grundig or bought to be sold as finearts series(a grundig high-end series)that were also incredible good (this refering to 90´s models), they just disappear

john13

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Thanks
wonderful turntables had one on loan, with a Nagaoka cartridge

camcroft

But how would they compare to modern turntables. I have a Thorens TD147 with nagaoka MP11 cartridge gathering dust in the loft. My new Project is not as heavy or bulky I often ask myself would it be worth it to do up the Thorens but then wonder would it sound any better than the Project turntable

But how would they compare to modern turntables. I have a Thorens TD147 with nagaoka MP11 cartridge gathering dust in the loft. My new Project is not as heavy or bulky I often ask myself would it be worth it to do up the Thorens but then wonder would it sound any better than the Project turntable
You may have a point. Many turntables will just get on with their job of spinning a disc and, properly set up, are simply dependant on the quality of the cartridge attached.
Personally I like the look of the 147 and would certainly be doing it up.

camcroft

You may have a point. Many turntables will just get on with their job of spinning a disc and, properly set up, are simply dependant on the quality of the cartridge attached.
But the missus would never allow it to be on show because of its size ! and antiquated looks:(

record_spot

Old Thoren swiss original in factory state are worth big money these days $10,000+ some models
modified versions would not bother unless very cheap

As someone who picked up a modded TD160 at the start of this year from a seller down in Milton Keynes, I can safely say *do* bother. Just as long as you're doing your homework and checking out the goods, even if buying remotely. The seller had plenty of photos, so it was easy to assess condition. All in all, I was delighted with the deck, it looks fabulous and sounds it too.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

I have not followed your advice I have gone further than that and just bought another 147 today and baring a cracked lid it looks perfect in a wood finish my one in the loft is black matt the new one comes with an extra wand ( The arm splits in the middle so that you can use other cartridges by changing the wand ) so as my wife said "What are you doing with the other one " I am going to see if I can make a nice presentable one that can share a place with the Project Debut Carbon of which I have been asked "Are you going to sell that one........Not sure

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
I have not followed your advice I have gone further than that and just bought another 147 today and baring a cracked lid it looks perfect in a wood finish my one in the loft is black matt the new one comes with an extra wand ( The arm splits in the middle so that you can use other cartridges by changing the wand ) so as my wife said "What are you doing with the other one " I am going to see if I can make a nice presentable one that can share a place with the Project Debut Carbon of which I have been asked "Are you going to sell that one........Not sure
excellent!
hopefully the wife will not object too much.... :)

camcroft

I think mine will arrive on Wednesday. My worry is how will it sound I am going to use the wand / Arm from my turntable in the loft and its coming with a VMS 30 mK 11 cartridge which I would think has seen better days by now otherwise I will try it with the MP11 which after all these years is still ok I will have to see or otherwise I will have to look for recommendations for a replacement

I think mine will arrive on Wednesday. My worry is how will it sound I am going to use the wand / Arm from my turntable in the loft and its coming with a VMS 30 mK 11 cartridge which I would think has seen better days by now otherwise I will try it with the MP11 which after all these years is still ok I will have to see or otherwise I will have to look for recommendations for a replacement
the VMS will probably need replacing that's for sure

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

I think that stylus will fit.
Not sure of the tech details of the cartridge itself (mp110 ) and the mp11 . I have the 2M red cartridge on the Project turntable and as others have done swapped out the stylus to the blue with an improvement of sound quality. I am just wondering if it would degrade the sound of the mp11

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Not sure of the tech details of the cartridge itself (mp110 ) and the mp11 . I have the 2M red cartridge on the Project turntable and as others have done swapped out the stylus to the blue with an improvement of sound quality. I am just wondering if it would degrade the sound of the mp11
The MP110 is the updated version of the MP11.

camcroft

Looks like the stylus and the cartridges are not readily available in the UK at the moment most come from Japan most UK stores are out of stock. The Nagaoka ones that I am looking for that is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts