Opinions on Thorens 1600/1601 Turntables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
This is where my knowledge stops, I have so very little knowledge of cartridges I would have just stuck with the Elys or moving up to Rega's Exact, @Al ears suggestion of the Goldring 1042 was a step up in sound quality and has taken me out of my comfort zone which is great.

I have a lot to learn in the weeks and months ahead before I commit to a new TT.

I did see that the Project Classic can be bought with or without a cartridge, something to factor in.

My friendly HiFi dealer back in Kent has thrown me a suggestion, a Gold Note Pianosa would be a good fit for my needs in their opinion, it doesn't come with a cartridge so I can decided whether I want to go MM or MC.

Still struggling to find a local Thorens dealer so guessing that this avenue is going to be a dead end, which means that I have to keep looking.

At the moment I can get access to the following TT's locally so I think that my final TT should come from one of these or as I have had one suggestion get my P3 modified;

Gold Note, Rega, Pro-Ject, Michell, Linn, Vertere, SME and Clearaudio.

Thanks for the input it makes great reading, it is very helpful and i'm learning all the time.
Have heard the Michell gyrodec and that was superb, but decided it's an overkill for the Leema - and bit too blingy for my taste.

Did hear the Rega RP6 years ago and sounded very good. Also really like the Clearaudio Concept table was slightly better compared to the Pro-ject Classic Silver cartridge, but with -- oddly -- the Clearaudio Concept cartridge I preferred the the Pro-ject. Not heard the others.

This is where my knowledge stops, I have so very little knowledge of cartridges I would have just stuck with the Elys or moving up to Rega's Exact, @Al ears suggestion of the Goldring 1042 was a step up in sound quality and has taken me out of my comfort zone which is great.

I have a lot to learn in the weeks and months ahead before I commit to a new TT.

I did see that the Project Classic can be bought with or without a cartridge, something to factor in.

My friendly HiFi dealer back in Kent has thrown me a suggestion, a Gold Note Pianosa would be a good fit for my needs in their opinion, it doesn't come with a cartridge so I can decided whether I want to go MM or MC.

Still struggling to find a local Thorens dealer so guessing that this avenue is going to be a dead end, which means that I have to keep looking.

At the moment I can get access to the following TT's locally so I think that my final TT should come from one of these or as I have had one suggestion get my P3 modified;

Gold Note, Rega, Pro-Ject, Michell, Linn, Vertere, SME and Clearaudio.

Thanks for the input it makes great reading, it is very helpful and i'm learning all the time.
You missed Origin Live. If you can get to see any I would put them aboy many of the others you have mentioned.
I would buy one of theirs simply on spec., And I don't advocate that very often.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

You missed Origin Live. If you can get to see any I would put them aboy many of the others you have mentioned.
I would buy one of theirs simply on spec., And I don't advocate that very often.
And I have just found out that they have a dealer 40 minutes from home, will be heading that way and having a look and a chat with the dealer at some point next week.

If you buy from OL you can demo for a month at home and if you don't like send it back and have a full refund. Impressive.

And I have just found out that they have a dealer 40 minutes from home, will be heading that way and having a look and a chat with the dealer at some point next week.

If you buy from OL you can demo for a month at home and if you don't like send it back and have a full refund. Impressive.
exactly!
Perhaps not the cheapest around but with their engineering you get what you pay for and it will last....

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

exactly!
Perhaps not the cheapest around but with their engineering you get what you pay for and it will last....
Definitely interested, a very helpful website to boot, some good advice in there.

This could be exactly what I am looking for, just need to factor in the costs and not get carried away.

A good few months before I have any cash to spend so plenty of time to research, discuss and see if the local dealer can get anything for me to demo.

Any thoughts of a Thorens are now firmly removed from my mind.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And Philips.
Where did Philips come from?

Phillips Name Meaning, Family History, Family Crest & Coats ...

The ancestors of the bearers of the name Philips were the ancient Britons that inhabited in the hills and Moors of Wales. This surname was derived from the personal name Philip. This name, which was usually Latinized as Philippus, was originally derived from the Greek name Philippos.
Holland.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts