Thorens turntables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

camcroft

Have you tried here?
Out of stock and the only dealers that have them are charging silly money. I haven't got X-ray eyes but the old stylus doesn't look that bad and depending on how the new turntable is set up I will just swap the wands and just check that the tracking weight is correct and see how I get on who knows it might work and then I shall just carry on using it. A while ago I went through my record collection and cleaned them all and I didn't pick up on much wear on them and they are all playable on the Project player so I might be lucky.

Last edited:
Yes really if I do have to buy new because the mp11 doesn't sound good or is worn. I dont know what sort of budget what sort of money would you yourself spend on such a turntable. I know the budget part is not an answer just asking your opinion
I'd quite happily but a very decent cartridge on that turntable, Perhaps you might consider something from the Audio Technica range like the AT-VM95ML

camcroft

if you want to do that fine but personally I don't get on with either of the cheaper Ortofons. If you already have a stylus and are happy with it it does make economic sense....
Once again thanks I will go with your choices as I have seen your lovely turntable in pictures so I can see that you have a real interest in good equipment.

Once again thanks I will go with your choices as I have seen your lovely turntable in pictures so I can see that you have a real interest in good equipment.
Thanks. It took a long time and many auditions to get to where I am and I can quite content at the moment. You can spend a great deal more for another 10% improvement but I like value for money or bangs per Nick as some would have it. Once you get to a certain point you're going to have to spend a whole lot more to get a significant improvement. It's been a while since I used cheapish MM cartridges but I audition when I can and note friends setups. Hopefully trying to keep in too of new releases etc.

Reactions: camcroft
See that it gets a lot of mixed reactions although this site give it as their choice in that price bracket.Is it a much lesser performer than the AT and what do you think about the Nagaoka mp110 as that could be an option.
The E3 is excellent for the price, the AT I mentioned are significantly dearer for a reason. The Nagoaka was a bargain up until they had a major price hike many years ago so it now has plenty of competition and most of that from A T themselves. Still a good cartridge but possibly now overpriced, if you can indeed find one.

As you said about Cheshire Audio has one for £139 which doesn't sound that bad given the price of the stylus on its own
Considering they used to be sub £100 then no, probably not. If they have one and it is within your budget then it is still a very good cartridge. However, as you mentioned, take heed of the price of replacement stylii if you intend to keep it long term. Many manufacturers price the stylus high so when it comes to replacement time you say did it and either upgrade again or buy a complete new cartridge. They aren't stupid...... :)
However, if I trash my Moving Coil that's exactly what I have to do, I have learnt to be very careful...... :)

Reactions: camcroft
I have always been of the opinion that LP replay from a turntable cannot be done well on a budget. Which is why I am amazed at the number of new users of this format Most of the quality of a turntable as a source comes from the cartridge that is actually fitted to it. The turntable packages of today have cartridges that do the job, just.
When you get to much higher price brackets you often see people fitting cartridges the decks where the cartridge costs more than the deck itself.....
Your turntable will happily take cartridges way above entry level budget and make the most of them.
Don't stint in a cartridge is all I can say, if you want the full replay potential that your turntable has.

camcroft

I have always been of the opinion that LP replay from a turntable cannot be done well on a budget. Which is why I am amazed at the number of new users of this format Most of the quality of a turntable as a source comes from the cartridge that is actually fitted to it. The turntable packages of today have cartridges that do the job, just.
Your turntable will happily take cartridges way above entry level budget and make the most of them.
Don't stint in a cartridge is all I can say, if you want the full replay potential that your turntable has.
Thank you for taking so much time to reply to my questions I really do appreciate it . Enjoy the rest of your evening

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts