• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

This is the Black Ravioli investigation thread, it may be fun...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
idc said:
This possibly has very similar properties

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-density-closed-cell-foam-/300520746782?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item45f86eaf1e

I can't remember wat the stuff is called, but it is dark green and used to hold flowers for displays. If you push your finger into it, it makes a dent, but has a foam texture. Black Ravioli is like that but it springs back into place.
I would say that BR is (physically) quite different.....it's actually pretty hard to compress (unlike the sponge oasis used in flower arranging).
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Shanka said:
Wow, some thread, I would say don't gnocchi it 'til you've tried it.

I'll get my coat......................... :oops:
.........Pasta La Pizza, Shanka.........you only think you can scrape the bottom of the (fish) barrel! :shifty:
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,175
1
0
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
maxflinn said:
frankly, you suggesting that someone want's to prove their intellectual superiority is more than just a tad ironic, don't you think?
You mean "wants".
You're too clever for me Mr Lawyer sir, I can't work out if I'm in the barrel or not?
I suspect you are the barrel, but the existential fun is in the wondering.
Oh, I've been on a diet and everything as well...
Fortunately you're only a metaphorical barrel.
<shrug> I've been called worse...
 

oldric_naubhoff

New member
Mar 11, 2011
23
0
0
CnoEvil said:
MP, you're no more sceptical than I was, and there are certainly cheaper ways to get your "placebo fix"......If it didn't deliver, I wouldn't have got some. I tried it as I had heard various demos of it, and was interested to see if I could get similar gains.

The usual caveat applies....never spend more than would give you a bigger gain elsewhere in the system.
wouldn't it be better to use solid wood rack instead of metal + glass one and do without raviolis? wood has great energy dissipation properties so you don't need to rely on pricey submarine technology. not to mention your amp looks better without pads underneath. IMO... :grin:
 

fr0g

New member
Jan 7, 2008
445
0
0
matthewpiano said:
However, I'm certainly not going to make any absolute comments about the product because until I've tried it for myself anything I say is only conjecture.
I haven't tried the machinadynamica teleportation tweak, but saying it doesn't work is not conjecture... just sayin.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

Some other great products there too for Ravioli fans.
 

Crossie

New member
Aug 4, 2009
58
0
0
As I have no experience of BR I thought I would have at look at their website:

"The system is designed to respond in a linear way and embodies speed and capacity to ensure the full range of an audio or visual performance can be catered for. Put simply, it avoids compression issues by providing millions of independent energy transfer paths and has no return point in its operation to influence the reproduction when the extremes of the musical performance are experienced. In use it purports to function without emphasizing any aspect of the performance by breaking down at the extremes. Mechanical systems such as displacing balls horizontally or vertically will by definition have a return point, and become limited at the extremes of performance."

Displacing balls? :?

More like utter balls. Absolutely no susbstance here from an engineering point of view. Rather disappointed - was hoping for some science to discuss.
 

oldric_naubhoff

New member
Mar 11, 2011
23
0
0
fr0g said:
matthewpiano said:
However, I'm certainly not going to make any absolute comments about the product because until I've tried it for myself anything I say is only conjecture.
I haven't tried the machinadynamica teleportation tweak, but saying it doesn't work is not conjecture... just sayin.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

Some other great products there too for Ravioli fans.
I'm seriously wondering if anybody fell for that teleport joke. :?

and I wouldn't really be much surprised if somebody did. :rofl: ..
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Crossie said:
As I have no experience of BR I thought I would have at look at their website:

"The system is designed to respond in a linear way and embodies speed and capacity to ensure the full range of an audio or visual performance can be catered for. Put simply, it avoids compression issues by providing millions of independent energy transfer paths and has no return point in its operation to influence the reproduction when the extremes of the musical performance are experienced. In use it purports to function without emphasizing any aspect of the performance by breaking down at the extremes. Mechanical systems such as displacing balls horizontally or vertically will by definition have a return point, and become limited at the extremes of performance."

Displacing balls? :?

More like utter balls. Absolutely no susbstance here from an engineering point of view. Rather disappointed - was hoping for some science to discuss.
If I'd read that, I'd never have tried it.....I hate marketing twaddle.

I had no preconceptions, as it was so new out that very few people had even heard of it, let alone auditioned it.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
oldric_naubhoff said:
wouldn't it be better to use solid wood rack instead of metal + glass one and do without raviolis? wood has great energy dissipation properties so you don't need to rely on pricey submarine technology. not to mention your amp looks better without pads underneath. IMO... :grin:
When I got my rack, it was the only decent rack I could get hold of at sensible money, and it's here to stay at the moment ( I wasn't aware of HiFi Racks Podium).

IMO BR is better than wood, but I agree with your point about using wood for a rack.

If you are referring to the 35i, it has no pads underneath (yet).
 

Crossie

New member
Aug 4, 2009
58
0
0
True Cno. I have been careful to criticise the advertising psuedo-science not the product itself.
 

oldric_naubhoff

New member
Mar 11, 2011
23
0
0
CnoEvil said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
wouldn't it be better to use solid wood rack instead of metal + glass one and do without raviolis? wood has great energy dissipation properties so you don't need to rely on pricey submarine technology. not to mention your amp looks better without pads underneath. IMO... :grin:
When I got my rack, it was the only decent rack I could get hold of at sensible money, and it's here to stay at the moment ( I wasn't aware of HiFi Racks Podium).

IMO BR is better than wood, but I agree with your point about using wood for a rack.

If you are referring to the 35i, it has no pads underneath.
well CNO. if I were you I'd design some rack suited to your needs and commission some nearby carpenter to make it. simples. and it'll probably be less expensive than buying Podium racks. but I must admit that quality of finish of Podium products is 1st class!

as for "underneath your amp" you needn't take it so literally. :) I didn't really know if you had ravioli under your AMS or not. it was meant to be taken as figurative but I certainly can understand why you didn't take it so. sorry.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
maxflinn said:
The_Lhc said:
maxflinn said:
It's a nonsense product guys, designed to take advantage of people's desire for high quality sound, and while there are other points of view available, they're all wrong I'm afraid, and each and every one of us knows that.
And if you'd just said that in the first place this thread would have done with 9 pages ago but that's not good enough for you is it Max, it doesn't give you the opportunity to show how much cleverer you are than everyone else does it? How only you know the truth in everything and everyone else is a fool and it doesn't give you the chance to watch this forum tear itself to pieces, which is what you'd really like, along with all your friends over at HDD.

It's boring now Max, give it a EDITED rest. You don't like WHF, we all know that, now EDITED off.
I think that's very unfair, I have nothing against WHF or any of the forumites here, and frankly, you suggesting that someone want's to prove their intellectual superiority is more than just a tad ironic, don't you think?

I like to expose nonsense products like this, expensive HDMI cables, digital cables, speaker cables etc, that's all, but I will clear off as I'm obviously not wanted here, and exposing ridiculous products for what they are just causes friction on this forum, for some reason......
Yes obviously Max, you're the first to the tape on this one. No, really, nobody's been round the houses on this one at all before like... :O
 

oldric_naubhoff

New member
Mar 11, 2011
23
0
0
Crossie said:
True Cno. I have been careful to criticise the advertising psuedo-science not the product itself.
very true. but for me it always smell kinda fishy when there's so much scientific talk around and no true substance in it.

I could have sworn I knew the right word that would fit here perfectly to describe that talk. it basically means to present a piece of information in such a way that when you hear it it feels like you're actually learning something. but when you really get deeper into its meaning it turns out there's no or very little message in the end. it's like saying that: 90% of consumers prefer that beer. at first you think, wow, this beer must really be good if it's so popular. but then you realise, what consumers? maybe they were just a bunch of lads sitting by a table in some forgotten pub in West Cork? y'know what I mean...

can somebody help me here and remind me what that word was? thanks in advance!
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
oldric_naubhoff said:
well CNO. if I were you I'd design some rack suited to your needs and commission some nearby carpenter to make it. simples. and it'll probably be less expensive than buying Podium racks. but I must admit that quality of finish of Podium products is 1st class!

as for "underneath your amp" you needn't take it so literally. :) I didn't really know if you had ravioli under your AMS or not. it was meant to be taken as figurative but I certainly can understand why you didn't take it so. sorry.
Apologies Olderic, it's not always easy to tell a serious observation from a humorous one.....and atm, it may well be that I'm more defensive than I realize.
 
T

the record spot

Guest
CnoEvil said:
krlock3 said:
Upon arrival, I put them into my system and found what I feel to be a basically immediate pleasant broadening of what my system was already capable of (cyrus cd8se+ CDP, Cyrus preXpd Qx pre amp, Cyrus Mono X200s into B&W CM9s via Cardas clear light interconnects and speaker cables).

So much so that I swapped them out and in a few times to compare, and since then (3 months ago approx) they have remained in situ. I was pleased enough to then buy another 8 pads to sit under my power amps.

For me, I found them an upgrade and I found my expectations exceeded. Yes, it is a lot of money for some pads but still constitutes a relatively small outlay compared to my system as a whole. Black ravioli pads are one of three upgrades I felt made a difference. The second was to add a power conditioner for my hifi (Running Springs Elgar) and the third was to add isolation feet to my speakers to decouple them from my suspended wooden floor (CRTech isolation pads).
Thank you for entering the fray and putting your neck on the line, in order to put forward your experience......the support is much appreciated.
Cno I must admit I wouldn't be inclined to buy the Black Ravioli product but I'll have one heap of respect more for anyone ponying up, trying it out and expressing a view than a cheap shot thread that was never designed to be anything but in the first place. That's the biggest bit of snake oil going of late...
 

Diamond Joe

Well-known member
Mar 1, 2008
88
6
18,545
oldric_naubhoff said:
Crossie said:
True Cno. I have been careful to criticise the advertising psuedo-science not the product itself.
very true. but for me it always smell kinda fishy when there's so much scientific talk around and no true substance in it.

I could have sworn I knew the right word that would fit here perfectly to describe that talk. it basically means to present a piece of information in such a way that when you hear it it feels like you're actually learning something. but when you really get deeper into its meaning it turns out there's no or very little message in the end. it's like saying that: 90% of consumers prefer that beer. at first you think, wow, this beer must really be good if it's so popular. but then you realise, what consumers? maybe they were just a bunch of lads sitting by a table in some forgotten pub in West Cork? y'know what I mean...

can somebody help me here and remind me what that word was? thanks in advance!
Specious?
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Diamond Joe said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
Crossie said:
True Cno. I have been careful to criticise the advertising psuedo-science not the product itself.
very true. but for me it always smell kinda fishy when there's so much scientific talk around and no true substance in it.

I could have sworn I knew the right word that would fit here perfectly to describe that talk. it basically means to present a piece of information in such a way that when you hear it it feels like you're actually learning something. but when you really get deeper into its meaning it turns out there's no or very little message in the end. it's like saying that: 90% of consumers prefer that beer. at first you think, wow, this beer must really be good if it's so popular. but then you realise, what consumers? maybe they were just a bunch of lads sitting by a table in some forgotten pub in West Cork? y'know what I mean...

can somebody help me here and remind me what that word was? thanks in advance!
Specious?
:clap: Nice work!
 

oldric_naubhoff

New member
Mar 11, 2011
23
0
0
Diamond Joe said:
Specious?
a very nice word. but I'm pretty much sure that's not the one. I really can't remember it now but all I can remember is that I saw it on Wikipedia (most likely, but couldn't find it now), as one of its descriptions were use politicians' or marketing talk. AFAIK it's quite young word and it was a noun.

still, don't get too much worked up on it. treat it as a side quest (for which there will be no bonus XP nor GP :)).
 

bigboss

Moderator
All you need is some Adidas / Rockport shoes. With Adiprene technology, it'll absorb vibrations better than this submarine product! ;)

http://www.rockport-works.com/adiprene/

Tempur is market as using NASA technology, but I have no plans to travel in space. So NASA's recommendation is as good as a vegetarian advising me to eat beef. :cheers:
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
608
379
19,270
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
krlock3 said:
Upon arrival, I put them into my system and found what I feel to be a basically immediate pleasant broadening of what my system was already capable of (cyrus cd8se+ CDP, Cyrus preXpd Qx pre amp, Cyrus Mono X200s into B&W CM9s via Cardas clear light interconnects and speaker cables).

So much so that I swapped them out and in a few times to compare, and since then (3 months ago approx) they have remained in situ. I was pleased enough to then buy another 8 pads to sit under my power amps.

For me, I found them an upgrade and I found my expectations exceeded. Yes, it is a lot of money for some pads but still constitutes a relatively small outlay compared to my system as a whole. Black ravioli pads are one of three upgrades I felt made a difference. The second was to add a power conditioner for my hifi (Running Springs Elgar) and the third was to add isolation feet to my speakers to decouple them from my suspended wooden floor (CRTech isolation pads).
Thank you for entering the fray and putting your neck on the line, in order to put forward your experience......the support is much appreciated.
+1

Thanks to krlock3 at least he tried them.:cheers:
Hear, hear.

I may have missed it, but apart from Cno I'm not sure anyone else has actually spoken from experience here. (If I forgot on the way to page 12, sorry!)

Not the same as BR, but I've written here before about the old Mission Isoplat, which was a bit of MDF on four hemispherical feet (lke two tennis balls cut in half). At about one-quarter the cost of a popular budget amp of its day (NAD 3020) this item could produce repeatable improvements equivalent to a significant amp upgrade. Accordingly, in my days in a hi-fi shop we sold lots of them. And not a tube amp in sight.

Rather than attempting an explanation of my own, another product range that tackles vibration is here, and their explanation is plausible to me. I've heard these products, and they certainly worked, to my ears http://www.vertexaq.com/products/history-of-product-development

You can guess I subscribe to the "if you haven't heard it..." camp. And besides, Cno is one of only a handful of regulars here whose advice/experience I'd be happy to trust.
 

frogfish

New member
Jul 6, 2010
7
0
0
So what company makes those things ? It didn't seem obvious on their website. I would actually be curious to find out who came up with that brand name :)

Would also be interesting to know what goes into them as they are certainly not cheap...
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
608
379
19,270
oldric_naubhoff said:
Diamond Joe said:
Specious?
a very nice word. but I'm pretty much sure that's not the one. I really can't remember it now but all I can remember is that I saw it on Wikipedia (most likely, but couldn't find it now), as one of its descriptions were use politicians' or marketing talk. AFAIK it's quite young word and it was a noun.

still, don't get too much worked up on it. treat it as a side quest (for which there will be no bonus XP nor GP :)).
Are you thinking of 'spin'?
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
nopiano said:
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
krlock3 said:
Upon arrival, I put them into my system and found what I feel to be a basically immediate pleasant broadening of what my system was already capable of (cyrus cd8se+ CDP, Cyrus preXpd Qx pre amp, Cyrus Mono X200s into B&W CM9s via Cardas clear light interconnects and speaker cables).

So much so that I swapped them out and in a few times to compare, and since then (3 months ago approx) they have remained in situ. I was pleased enough to then buy another 8 pads to sit under my power amps.

For me, I found them an upgrade and I found my expectations exceeded. Yes, it is a lot of money for some pads but still constitutes a relatively small outlay compared to my system as a whole. Black ravioli pads are one of three upgrades I felt made a difference. The second was to add a power conditioner for my hifi (Running Springs Elgar) and the third was to add isolation feet to my speakers to decouple them from my suspended wooden floor (CRTech isolation pads).
Thank you for entering the fray and putting your neck on the line, in order to put forward your experience......the support is much appreciated.
+1

Thanks to krlock3 at least he tried them.:cheers:
Hear, hear.

I may have missed it, but apart from Cno I'm not sure anyone else has actually spoken from experience here. (If I forgot on the way to page 12, sorry!)

Not the same as BR, but I've written here before about the old Mission Isoplat, which was a bit of MDF on four hemispherical feet (lke two tennis balls cut in half). At about one-quarter the cost of a popular budget amp of its day (NAD 3020) this item could produce repeatable improvements equivalent to a significant amp upgrade. Accordingly, in my days in a hi-fi shop we sold lots of them. And not a tube amp in sight.

Rather than attempting an explanation of my own, another product range that tackles vibration is here, and their explanation is plausible to me. I've heard these products, and they certainly worked, to my ears http://www.vertexaq.com/products/history-of-product-development

You can guess I subscribe to the "if you haven't heard it..." camp. And besides, Cno is one of only a handful of regulars here whose advice/experience I'd be happy to trust.
I've shared my positive experience just like Cno, interestingly both of us noticed the same imporvements http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-have-you-done-cnonow-i-believe-in-black-ravioli
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts