This is the Black Ravioli investigation thread, it may be fun...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How, in the name of God, how, could placing an amplifier on little rubber ravioli, (or whatever they're called) have any impact whatsoever on the sound coming out of the speakers it's driving?

Please note, this thread is designed to bring sanity and humour to the forum :)

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, no idea, but a couple of options:

1. Perhaps some amps use smart phone technology? Attach tiny little accelerometers at strategically placed points within the amp's case, connected these to microphones, then add the output of the microphones to the signal into the preamp stage. Adding little rubber feet reduce vibration into these accelerometers by some minuscule, yet still audible (but of course unmeasurable) amount.

2. They don't

Can't really think of any other options, sorry :cry:

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
The sweepstake on who posts on this thread has already started between the mods, btw.
Well anyone who has a viewpoint is most welcome to share it, and I'd especially like plenty of input from those that can explain how the Ravioli works.

I'm not planning on buying any, just curious.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Microphonics ... look it up.

However I thought this mainly affected valve amps and the extent to which it affects solid state amps / cables I thought was negligible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't, I just like to hear myself talk b*!!*x.

Why not try some?

.....na, scratch that......what a stupid idea, as there's no fun in that! ;)

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi maxflinn

Best to stand on one's own feet.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, that's so true in several ways :) :grin: :rofl:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
Microphonics ... look it up.

However I thought this mainly affected valve amps and the extent to which it affects solid state amps / cables I thought was negligible.

I can see how they could be worthwhile on turntables and anything that uses valves but I'm sceptical about any improvements that they make with solid state amps and speakers (though I admit that I've never actually tried them myself).

Blind test anyone? :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
EDIT - there are bonus points for the use of particular words as well.

Science, engineering, audiophool, foo, The Great Randi, peer-reviewed, Richard Dawkins, physics, con, hi-fi dealers, rip-off, active, Ashley, Grindrod, ABX, blind-testing, BBC (gawd bless it), Edited by mods, fairies, pixies, Godwin, 'this link...' (to an HDD thread of course), Naim, credentials, tertiary, subjective, objective, measurements, 'all the best', Frank, Dave, lies, lock, thread, please, proof, 'all sound the same', 'even my wife could hear it', some reference to JD being a What Hi-fi? employee (and a denial of the same), snake oil... etc.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:

Why not try some?

How do we know? It could be great fun :) , but there'll be no difference in sound, that's *logical.

*One buzz word to strike off the list.

John Duncan

chebby said:
John Duncan said:

Science, engineering, audiophool, foo, The Great Randi, peer-reviewed, Richard Dawkins, physics, con, hi-fi dealers, rip-off, active, Ashley, Grindrod, ABX, blind-testing, BBC (gawd bless it), Edited by mods, fairies, pixies, Godwin, 'this link...' (to an HDD thread of course), Naim, credentials, tertiary, subjective, objective, measurements, 'all the best', Frank, Dave, lies, lock, thread, please, proof, 'all sound the same', 'even my wife could hear it', some reference to JD being a What Hi-fi? employee (and a denial of the same), snake oil... etc.

Thanks, I'd missed some.

T

the record spot

chebby said:
John Duncan said:

You forgot "eye of newt"...

T

the record spot

maxflinn said:
CnoEvil said:

Why not try some?

How do we know? It could be great fun :) , but there'll be no difference in sound, that's *logical.

*One buzz word to strike off the list.

Danger - absolutes at work! Got to be careful with those y'know...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:
How, in the name of God, how, could placing an amplifier on little rubber ravioli, (or whatever they're called) have any impact whatsoever on the sound coming out of the speakers it's driving?

Q. Is it reasonable to assume that small vibrations could effect the performance of electronics?

A. Yes.

There's a reasonable and logical argument that they might make a difference.

Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself. My mate has a Marantz PM6003 amplifier with some B&W 685 speakers so I'll do some blind A/B testing using his system later this week.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:
CnoEvil said:

Why not try some?

How do we know?

Exactly, which was my point!
But a far more important point is that people will usually think they'll hear differences if they've changed something on their system, surely most agree on that? And in many cases there will be differences of varying degrees, Speakers all differ, amps, DACs and Source to a far less extent, and well, we know that when it comes to cables opinion is very much divided, though there's no proof they differ. But come on, Cno, Ravioli?? Surely the line must be drawn somewhere :)

John Duncan

steve_1979 said:
maxflinn said:

Q. Is it reasonable to assume that small vibrations could effect the performance of electronics?

A. Yes.

There's a reasonable and logical argument that they might make a difference.

Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself. My mate has a Marantz PM6003 amplifier with some B&W 685 speakers so I'll do some blind A/B testing using his system later this week.

But...I'd expect it to make no difference at all to a PM6003. A valve amp perhaps, where I could see how it might make a difference to the behaviour of vibration-sensitive tubes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts