This is the Black Ravioli investigation thread, it may be fun...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
maxflinn said:
How, in the name of God, how, could placing an amplifier on little rubber ravioli, (or whatever they're called) have any impact whatsoever on the sound coming out of the speakers it's driving?

Please note, this thread is designed to bring sanity and humour to the forum :)

Please buy some (from one of those places that offer refund if not satisfied) and let us all know how you get on.

Come on ... it may be fun :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi JD, the BR works well in my system. I'm not sure why and how but they do. In fact I've spend about 2-3weeks placing them in and out of every Naim component I use. The most noticeable improvement is when I put them under cdp,power amp and power supply. The sound just became more vibrant and instruments are more defined. Then I've waited for another week and pulled them out once again and I felt I was hearing another system which was boring and somehow a bit lifeless.
smiley-smile.gif

You and I are obviously part of "a certain group of people"......doesn't that make you feel all special!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
richardw42 said:
Cno - not the comment I expected.

Richard, it's from a fellow Irishman, so he knows it's in jest......and after all, he only started the thread to wind up the likes of me!

But unfortunately not everyone realises it's all a bit of a wind up and weekend jest. :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ESP2009 said:
But unfortunately not everyone realises it's all a bit of a wind up and weekend jest. :)

I live in Ireland, so generally see it coming.....it's a way of life here.

Which is one of the aspects that those of us outside of the Emerald Isle don't quite grasp! :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Hi JD, the BR works well in my system. I'm not sure why and how but they do. In fact I've spend about 2-3weeks placing them in and out of every Naim component I use. The most noticeable improvement is when I put them under cdp,power amp and power supply. The sound just became more vibrant and instruments are more defined. Then I've waited for another week and pulled them out once again and I felt I was hearing another system which was boring and somehow a bit lifeless.
smiley-smile.gif

You and I are obviously part of "a certain group of people"......doesn't that make you feel all special!

OOI did either of you notice any changes with burn in?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
Which is one of the aspects that those of us outside of the Emerald Isle don't quite grasp! :)

One thing I can say with (almost) absolute certainty......Max means no malice, but he does enjoy the game.

iceman16

BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
smiley-smile.gif

Hi Ben,

IME, it took at least 5 days but it depends on the where they're being use. Much less on heavier components like amps and power supplies. Have'nt tried them on speakers though. Hope this helps..:)

BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
They came already burned in. :shifty:

Ex dem?

DCT treated?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=8300&customer_id=PAA1744061812328OTUXNLOQJYTYZLLP

Or perhaps, already burned in:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=BURNIN&customer_id=PAA1744061812328OTUXNLOQJYTYZLLP

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
In the stylie of Churchill:......

We shall not flag or fail

We shall wind them on the mains cables

We shall wind them on the speaker cables

We shall wind them on the Ravioli

We shall go Active

We shall never surrender.....

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

IME, it took at least 5 days but it depends on the where they're being use. Much less on heavier components like amps and power supplies. Have'nt tried them on speakers though. Hope this helps..:)

Hi iceman,

thanks for your considered reply :) Unlike some, I'm not immediately dismissive of this product and don't have my own experience so wouldn't dream of giving a comment like Max has in this thread. I have also recently bought some vibrapods for under my sub, although this is due to getting rid of our carpet and I couldn't possibly draw conclusions as to effect on SQ. I am, tho, interested in trying some out with my 40s.

All that said, I am sceptical about this product, especially under SS amps and high quality, well damped CDPs. I weigh that scepticism in the balance with opinions from reasonable individuals such as yourself. I find the black ravioli website particularly poor, and found the burn in comments especially hard to fathom - which is why I asked the question.

So, when you say it takes 5 days, is that to hear any difference? Or is there further improvement over that sort of period? Has this period meant it's a fairly long process as you are experimenting on different components?

Do you plan to try them under speakers? I would be particularly interested to hear about this if you do, as this makes most sense to me how it could have an effect, and as I say I plan to do some experimenting with my 40s at some stage.

Cheers,

Ben

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts