This is the Black Ravioli investigation thread, it may be fun...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
OOI did either of you notice any changes with burn in?
Possibly......possibly not. :silenced:

?

They came already burned in. :shifty:

Ex dem?

They were ex-dem, and I thought I heard an improvement over the first few days, but couldn't swear to it.....hence my comment (or lack of it)

Ok, thanks Cno. What kind of blind test did you carry out with it?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

Certainly not!!.................it's Ravioli, so you put it in the oven.

Actually, I think you put it in the pot and stir it.... Max?
In case you are (slightly) interested, and missed it before, here are my thoughts: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli

Edit. Sorry, I see you didn't miss it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:
did either of you notice any changes with burn in?

Hi Ben,

IME, it took at least 5 days but it depends on the where they're being use. Much less on heavier components like amps and power supplies.

So you put some little pieces of sponge foam under your amplifier and it took 5 days before it made any difference to the sound? Come on, really?

I'm willing to accept that excessive vibration might effect some particularly sensitive pieces of audio equipment but to say that it takes 5 days for a piece of foam to 'burn in' is just too much. Surley I'm not the only person here who can see that this is utter madness.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Ok, thanks Cno. What kind of blind test did you carry out with it?

It was my own version, and I described it on post No.11 on the link above....but it's on Chebby's blacklist, so it probably doesn't count!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

IME, it took at least 5 days but it depends on the where they're being use. Much less on heavier components like amps and power supplies.

So you put some little pieces of sponge foam under your amplifier and it took 5 days before it made any difference to the sound? Come on, really?

I'm willing to accept that excessive vibration might effect some particularly sensitive pieces of audio equipment but to say that it takes 5 days for a piece of foam to 'burn in' is just too much. Surley I'm not the only person here who can see that this is utter madness.

I read Iceman's post as the sound improving gradually over a period of days, and after 5 days there was no further improvement. Which is not the same thing as you are suggesting.

FWIW I haven't tried the black ravioli, remain sceptical, but would rather try it than dismiss it out of hand. But then I hear differences in cables and don't own active speakers, so my opinion is clearly highly suspect!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

In case you are (slightly) interested, and missed it before, here are my thoughts: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli

Edit. Sorry, I see you didn't miss it.

Haha, I'd forgotten that thread - at least I'm consistent! :grin:

I see what you mean by your blind test, thanks.

iceman16

steve_1979 said:
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

Sorry but I never said 5 days to burn in.. what I mean is the pads must be fully compressed and settled from the weight and amount of pressure being put on them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Sorry but I never said 5 days to burn in.. what I mean is the pads must be fully compressed and settled from the weight and amount of pressure being put on them.

So far, in these most recent threads, everybody that has actually heard it, rates it.....the cynics are just blowing smoke!

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

So far, in these most recent threads, everybody that has actually heard it, rates it.....the cynics are just blowing smoke!

+1

I've tried, heard and enjoy them like no other isolation in my system..Madness???:shame:

A

Anonymous

I took a little break there to watch a movie, and can't believe some of the nonsense that has been typed, honestly guys, this product is a blatant ripoff and [EDITED BY MODS - house rules]

As Steve said, maybe, just maybe they could help to minimise vibration in some componants with moving parts, not that this should mean any improvments in sound quality would result, but to suggest as Iceman has, that they help most every componant he has to sound better?

This is seriously silly guys, and I don't know how anybody that thinks this magic rubber actually does something can expect to be taken seriously.

Furthermore, whether or not a person owns active speakers is irrelevent, you like what you like, and Cno, the game as you put it, is suggesting that people should try a product before commenting on it, it's that advice, or game, that is the get out of jail card that's always played when somebody is asked to explain how a ridiculous product like this actually does anything.

Which is what I asked in my opening post, and that nobody who believes in the product has answered. They can't answer because there is no answer, even if you've heard it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
.....and Cno, the game as you put it, is suggesting that people should try a product before commenting on it, it's that advice, or game, that is the get out of jail card that's always played when somebody is asked to explain how a ridiculous product like this actually does anything.

....good try, but that's not the game I'm talking about.

Goodnight Max, and I enjoyed your thread, despite myself.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:
.....and Cno, the game as you put it, is suggesting that people should try a product before commenting on it, it's that advice, or game, that is the get out of jail card that's always played when somebody is asked to explain how a ridiculous product like this actually does anything.

....good try, but that's not the game I'm talking about.

Goodnight Max, and I enjoyed your thread, despite myself.

Cno
Yes Cno, my game is to sometimes highlight the pointlessness of certain products, this being one of them, and that isn't a bad thing, IMO.

*What is a bad thing, is when people waste money on ridiculous products, and this one is about as ridiculous as they come, sorry Cno, but that's reality and anyone with any level of intellect that isn't on the audiophile rollercoaster will see it.

Goodnight to you too :)

*Well not really bad like life threateningly bad, but bad in a Hifi context, which as we all know is far more important :p

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
*What is a bad thing, is when people waste money on ridiculous products, and this one is about as ridiculous as they come, sorry Cno, but that's reality and anyone with any level of intellect that isn't on the audiophile rollercoaster will see it.

Who are you to say it is a waste of cno's money, if he perceives a difference, and is happy with his purchase? Even if it is snake oil, if the process of demoing and evaluating, and his perception of improvement subsequently has given him pleasure and cost a hundred pounds or so what difference does it make to you?

Frankly I have spent a lot more than he has on dodgy pasta devices in other areas of my life to little or no effect, and if you haven't maybe you should get out more ;)

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

Well I guess that depends on how you see it, for example, is it stirring when people start threads about products like this which say how wonderful they are? Or is it stirring when people like me start them to say how ridiculous they are?

I know that's a rhetorical question isn't it, historically, on this forum the non believer is the stirrer, whereas on other forums the believer is doing the stirring.

Hopefully now with the new direction this forum has taken, people can decide what makes sense and nobody need be accused of stirring :)

A

Anonymous

gregvet said:
maxflinn said:

Who are you to say it is a waste of cno's money, if he perceives a difference, and is happy with his purchase? Even if it is snake oil, if the process of demoing and evaluating, and his perception of improvement subsequently has given him pleasure and cost a hundred pounds or so what difference does it make to you?

Frankly I have spent a lot more than he has on dodgy pasta devices in other areas of my life to little or no effect, and if you haven't maybe you should get out more ;)
It doesn't make any difference to me what Cno spends his money on, and it makes no difference to me what other forumites spend theirs on either, what does matter to me personally, is that people aren't duped into swelling the coffers of snake oil sellers, and that's what happens when the likes of Black Ravioli is touted as being of some real benefit, once people are aware that it's only benefit is imaginary, I'm happy :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:
I took a little break there to watch a movie, and can't believe some of the nonsense that has been typed, honestly guys, this product is a blatant ripoff and [EDITED BY MODS - house rules]

As Steve said, maybe, just maybe they could help to minimise vibration in some componants with moving parts, not that this should mean any improvments in sound quality would result, but to suggest as Iceman has, that they help most every componant he has to sound better?

This is seriously silly guys, and I don't know how anybody that thinks this magic rubber actually does something can expect to be taken seriously.

Furthermore, whether or not a person owns active speakers is irrelevent, you like what you like, and Cno, the game as you put it, is suggesting that people should try a product before commenting on it, it's that advice, or game, that is the get out of jail card that's always played when somebody is asked to explain how a ridiculous product like this actually does anything.

Which is what I asked in my opening post, and that nobody who believes in the product has answered. They can't answer because there is no answer, even if you've heard it.

I say this both as someone who is sceptical about the product and who rarely has a go at you. This works both ways Max. The users have the get out of jail of 'you have to try it'. The non-user, non-believer has the get out of jail of 'you have to explain how it works'. In order for something to work, one does not have to be able to explain it, unless one is the designer. I don't know how my tv works, but it does. I'm sure you couldn't explain properly how your speakers work, but they do.

Why not try them? When you find they don't work some will say you heard what you were expecting to, but others, including the casual observer of the forum, to whom you suggest you direct this thread, will feel you have increased credibility.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:

If you have issues with a product you can start the ball rolling here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk//contactus

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

Well I guess that depends on how you see it, for example, is it stirring when people start threads about products like this which say how wonderful they are? Or is it stirring when people like me start them to say how ridiculous they are?

I know that's a rhetorical question isn't it, historically, on this forum the non believer is the stirrer, whereas on other forums the believer is doing the stirring.

Hopefully now with the new direction this forum has taken, people can decide what makes sense and nobody need be accused of stirring :)

I do think you're sincere in your (primary) motivation Max, although you ought to know that from a third party perspective your belligerent supposition actually makes people have less faith in your stance.

To answer your question, most of the time people who start threads on either side of this subject normally have some motivation of stirring. Certainly, someone who's been on the forum as long as you have knows the inevitable effect of starting such a thread, and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. As was your stated purpose in the OP of 'having a bit of fun'.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
maxflinn said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

I do think you're sincere in your (primary) motivation Max, although you ought to know that from a third party perspective your belligerent supposition actually makes people have less faith in your stance.

To answer your question, most of the time people who start threads on either side of this subject normally have some motivation of stirring. Certainly, someone who's been on the forum as long as you have knows the inevitable effect of starting such a thread, and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. As was your stated purpose in the OP of 'having a bit of fun'.

Well said Ben. It is exactly this type of provocative thread that has led me off this site in recent weeks. Its started off all light hearted, then when things don't go the OP's way he has a pop at the people posting on his thread!

Anyway, It doesnt matter if the product is a Placebo, poeple are entitled to spend money on whatever they want to;they are also entitled to their view on a product howvever leftfield.The crux of it is, we dont all have to bow down to OOH's, Maxflinn or Maxflinn Banned's point of view, even if he seems to have taken over the forum.

Sorry, Taken over the forum.......... Again

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
maxflinn said:
gregvet said:
maxflinn said:

, what does matter to me personally, is that people aren't duped into swelling the coffers of snake oil sellers, and that's what happens when the likes of Black Ravioli is touted as being of some real benefit, once people are aware that it's only benefit is imaginary, I'm happy :)

Yeah, we get it............ Now maybe ......give at rest.:wall:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Last week I painted some stripes on my car and it now goes much faster than before. The engine feels more powerful and responsive and it probably even uses less fuel too.*

There's still a couple of tins of 'go faster paint' left if anybody is interested in buying some. They only cost £500 each which is very good value when you consider how much of a performance benefit it gives.

* and nobody is allowed to say that it won't work unless you've actually tried it yourself.

A

Anonymous

moon said:
maxflinn said:
gregvet said:
maxflinn said:

, what does matter to me personally, is that people aren't duped into swelling the coffers of snake oil sellers, and that's what happens when the likes of Black Ravioli is touted as being of some real benefit, once people are aware that it's only benefit is imaginary, I'm happy :)

Yeah, we get it............ Now maybe ......give at rest.:wall:
There are far more threads started on here by believers of certain, questionable Hifi products, than there are started by people that question such things, Moon. Yet I never see you trying to stop them in there tracks with comments like this, why is that? You could go on to the other, believers, Black Ravioli thread and say

Yeah, we get it............ Now maybe ......give at rest :wall:

But you don't? Can you explain why one thread is worthy of your condemnation, while it's polar opposite is not?

A

Anonymous

moon said:
BenLaw said:
maxflinn said:
BenLaw said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
DCT treated?

Well said Ben. It is exactly this type of provocative thread that has led me off this site in recent weeks. Its started off all light hearted, then when things don't go the OP's way he has a pop at the people posting on his thread!

Anyway, It doesnt matter if the product is a Placebo, poeple are entitled to spend money on whatever they want to;they are also entitled to their view on a product howvever leftfield.The crux of it is, we dont all have to bow down to OOH's, Maxflinn or Maxflinn Banned's point of view, even if he seems to have taken over the forum.

Sorry, Taken over the forum.......... Again
I haven't had a pop at anybody, in fact any personal stuff has come from you and others that seem to take issue with my starting this thread, can you not see that? Just have a read through the thread and you will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts