This is the Black Ravioli investigation thread, it may be fun...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself.

Steve, imo they're not cheap, especially the Bigfeet.....it's my main complaint about the stuff.

A decent dealer will lend it out.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
maxflinn said:
How, in the name of God, how, could placing an amplifier on little rubber ravioli, (or whatever they're called) have any impact whatsoever on the sound coming out of the speakers it's driving?

Q. Is it reasonable to assume that small vibrations could effect the performance of electronics?

A. Yes.

There's a reasonable and logical argument that they might make a difference.

Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself. My mate has a Marantz PM6003 amplifier with some B&W 685 speakers so I'll do some blind A/B testing using his system later this week.

But...I'd expect it to make no difference at all to a PM6003. A valve amp perhaps, where I could see how it might make a difference to the behaviour of vibration-sensitive tubes.

I suspect that you might be right there JD. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
But a far more important point is that people will usually think they'll hear differences if they've changed something on their system, surely most agree on that? And in many cases there will be differences of varying degrees, Speakers all differ, amps, DACs and Source to a far less extent, and well, we know that when it comes to cables opinion is very much divided, though there's no proof they differ. But come on, Cno, Ravioli?? Surely the line must be drawn somewhere :)

Max, instead of pontificating, just borrow some and report back. I await your enlightenment with breathless anticipation. :roll:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself.

Steve, imo they're not cheap, especially the Bigfeet.....it's my main complaint about the stuff.

A decent dealer will lend it out.

Ahh yes. Just realised how much they are. :doh:

I'll give it a try using the fake £1.20 ones on my mates Marantz amp and see if the local hifi shop will let me hear a valve amp using proper Ravioli feet in the shop.*

* My local hifi shop is very friendly and understanding. When they aren't busy they don't mind chatting about hifi's and letting me auditioning their stuff even though they know that I have no intention of buying anything.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
* My local hifi shop is very friendly and understanding. If they aren't to busy they don't mind chatting about hifi's and letting me auditioning their stuff even though they know that I have no intention of buying anything.

That's what I like about certain shops - they don't mind if you aren't going to buy, they just enjoy chatting about the subject and experiencing the passion (in a platonic way) together. It must be so refreshing when someone equally enthusiastic steps into the premises, irrespective of whether that person is going to purchase or not.

That's why Barry at Music Matters ushered me down to the basement listening room to experience the huge B&W Daleks with their premium sources when all I was listening to was a tiny fraction of the combined cost. Wow, what an experience! :bounce:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify things, I've been posting cheap upgrades for a while now....the good thing about them is that if you try them you don't lose much except some minutes and pocket change. In case of Black Ravioli, try something cheaper. I put some cheapo copies for 80p...surely anyone with a hifi can give it a shot. If you never try you never know.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:
But a far more important point is that people will usually think they'll hear differences if they've changed something on their system, surely most agree on that? And in many cases there will be differences of varying degrees, Speakers all differ, amps, DACs and Source to a far less extent, and well, we know that when it comes to cables opinion is very much divided, though there's no proof they differ. But come on, Cno, Ravioli?? Surely the line must be drawn somewhere :)

Max, instead of pontificating, just borrow some and report back. I await your enlightenment with breathless anticipation. :roll:

Cno, I don't need to try them out because I know they couldn't possibly make any difference with my kit, and even if I had an integrated amp, I wouldn't try them on principle, such silly experiments have led to imagined differences snowballing via forums like this into real differences.

Why would the people that design valve amps not put suitable feet on them if they are important? Do you not think that they'd have all that covered? Black Ravioli is a silly but harmless product, aimed at a certain group of people, and I'm clearly not one of them :)

T

the record spot

What were they called mate? Might give them a whirl if it chicken feed money we're talking!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
What were they called mate? Might give them a whirl if it chicken feed money we're talking!
They are called equipment support, usually found in hardware shops used for putting under furniture. They are small, round and look like rubber with a sticky surface on the top. I'll upload a photo later in my thread and send you the link

iceman16

John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
maxflinn said:
How, in the name of God, how, could placing an amplifier on little rubber ravioli, (or whatever they're called) have any impact whatsoever on the sound coming out of the speakers it's driving?

Q. Is it reasonable to assume that small vibrations could effect the performance of electronics?

A. Yes.

There's a reasonable and logical argument that they might make a difference.

Ravioli are very cheap so I'm going to put it to the test myself. My mate has a Marantz PM6003 amplifier with some B&W 685 speakers so I'll do some blind A/B testing using his system later this week.

But...I'd expect it to make no difference at all to a PM6003. A valve amp perhaps, where I could see how it might make a difference to the behaviour of vibration-sensitive tubes.

Hi JD, the BR works well in my system. I'm not sure why and how but they do. In fact I've spend about 2-3weeks placing them in and out of every Naim component I use. The most noticeable improvement is when I put them under cdp,power amp and power supply. The sound just became more vibrant and instruments are more defined. Then I've waited for another week and pulled them out once again and I felt I was hearing another system which was boring and somehow a bit lifeless.
smiley-smile.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
steve_1979 said:
* My local hifi shop is very friendly and understanding. If they aren't to busy they don't mind chatting about hifi's and letting me auditioning their stuff even though they know that I have no intention of buying anything.

That's what I like about certain shops - they don't mind if you aren't going to buy, they just enjoy chatting about the subject and experiencing the passion (in a platonic way) together. It must be so refreshing when someone equally enthusiastic steps into the premises, irrespective of whether that person is going to purchase or not.

That's why Barry at Music Matters ushered me down to the basement listening room to experience the huge B&W Daleks with their premium sources when all I was listening to was a tiny fraction of the combined cost. Wow, what an experience! :bounce:

The people in my local hifi shop are very friendly and helpful but the guys in my local pro-audio shop are amazingly enthusiastic. They're happy to help out doing ABX and blind A/B testing with me. It's a suprising amount fun and we've become good mates now.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:
Black Ravioli is a silly but harmless product, aimed at a certain group of people, and I'm clearly not one of them :)

...and yet you started a thread about it.
And it's been fun :)

T

the record spot

maxflinn said:
Cno, I don't need to try them out because I know they couldn't possibly make any difference with my kit, and even if I had an integrated amp, I wouldn't try them on principle, such silly experiments have led to imagined differences snowballing via forums like this into real differences.

Why would the people that design valve amps not put suitable feet on them if they are important? Do you not think that they'd have all that covered? Black Ravioli is a silly but harmless product, aimed at a certain group of people, and I'm clearly not one of them :)

Then you're in no position to talk or comment in anyway on someone who does, so you could perhaps try dropping the "silly" for one thing. How could you possibly know? You can't. Simples.

And given you could spend a tenner, you could give it a try and then you could speak with real authority.

That's the danger with absolutist comments of the kind you're using though and it's bitten folk on the bum before. I remember a fine example when AVI updated their 9.1s to the first 9.1T. The DAC changed in that version and I recall AVI saying that there was a minor but noticeable difference to the previous arrangement. The speaker that couldn't be improved got improved. Oops.

I mention that as an example and not a dig at AVI - I've liked their products for years and might even be a step or two closer to lashing out on the new 9.1Ts in the next year or so. Now that I hear it's got some bass. :read: ;)

EDIT: and it's not a dig at you either, but thought I should make that clear.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The people in my local hifi shop are very friendly and helpful but the guys in my local pro-audio shop are amazingly enthusiastic. They're happy to help out doing ABX and blind A/B testing with me. It's a suprising amount fun and we've become good mates now.

:cheers: That's wonderful. I wish I could do similar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts