The Ultimate Subwoofer Company

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Have a read at the official m&k thread on the us avs forums to see what Ken Kriesel thinks of Gecko! I just read an interesting email from Ken on page 97.

Scottthehat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
These usc subs will be very good subs and will be more than competative with subs 2x the price,

Its still early days as far as all the final designs go but custom subs can be made and these sub cabinets are made to the highest quality, people moan there is no options in the uk and the only way to get something decent is spend shed loads money or get an inport again costing shed loads of money, there is now an option and gecko have done some demo days which have gone very well and people are seeing just how good these things are.

Scottthehat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
How do i know, because I know what drivers what size cabs and what amps there using.

And i have heard subs that cost alot more than my diy subs and they certainly aint no better just cost 2/3x the price,

So I know these subs will perofrm very very well and with subs worth 2/3 times as much.

and as for my keyboard :shhh:

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Scottthehat said:
How do i know, because I know what drivers what size cabs and what amps there using.

And i have heard subs that cost alot more than my diy subs and they certainly aint no better just cost 2/3x the price,

So I know these subs will perofrm very very well and with subs worth 2/3 times as much.

Well that's that then :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
recruit said:
Scottthehat said:

Well that's that then :rofl:

I'm beginning to see one of your points tbh...

Scottthehat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
like everything in this world its best to go try before you buy, and as gecko are offering home demos on there subs its an offer which is great if your in the market for a sub and have some money to spend.

but people slagging them off when they dont have a clue them selfs is just silly.

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
DIY subs with a seperate box to find a space for? Personally I think I'd rather pay for a professionally made sub when spending that sort of money.

Sounds like a big gamble to me.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Advertising 'speak' is responsible for suspicion. Its been seen before. Hopefully if these things are good/sq/value then someone will post a believable, honest & unbiassed review. Until then I will continue to enjoy my MS. Good luck.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
An email for you guys from Rob at Gecko

Hi
I'm Rob Sinden owner of Gecko, distributor of MK loudspeakers in the UK and one of the people behind The Ultimate Sub Company.I appreciate that a new sub company is going to lack credibility, which is why we have chosen to do business in a very specific way that I think makes sense in the day of Forums etc.Firstly, the reason I believe we can make a sub of better quality at the price than other products is that we have much, much lower costs. The rule of thumb in the trade for mass market speakers is that the retail price represents about 10% of the actual cost of the parts of the product. So a £1000 sub will have about £100 of components in it.As subs are big heavy items that cost a great deal to ship from China, to say a European distributor, to the UK dealer and to the consumer, a huge amount of the purchase price you pay for a heavy product like this is in the shipping cost. Secondly with no distributor or resellers involved we can afford to work on much lower margins than is common in the trade.As a result rather than 10% of the purchase price going into the final product from most major oversees manufacturers, we spend well over 60%. As a result one of our products will have a more solid cabinet, a much more powerful amp and a much better quality drive unit than similarly priced products.One of the aims for this company is for people to come here, to our facilities for demonstrations. When they do they will see a fully deconstructed subwoofer so they can see and assess the quality of parts themselves.Although I have already had people wanting to give deposits on subs, I haven't taken them yet because first we want experienced home cinema buffs to use them in their own homes alongside products they are familiar with. Before we ship any product we want to be 100% certain that people really do like the end product.The first full demonstration of our subwoofers was 3 weeks ago at a Forum event we host at our facilities on the last Sunday of every month. 15 home cinema buffs came along to hear three different models that we had on show. With a little searching you can find their feedback on the net which was unequivocally positive.Frankly there are more than enough subs to choose from already and my business is very busy with high end cinema installations. I would not waste time on a project like this unless we had something that was significantly superior or at least different to what is already available.I have been designing and installing home cinema system much longer than anyone else in the UK and the reason I have finally started producing our own subs is that the high end models on offer do not compete with what a small boutique manufacturer can provide. Anyone is welcome to visit us and hear what our 8 x 18" 12000w sub system can do.....If you want some unbiased, factual assessment of how poorly subwoofers that major manufacturers offer compared to DIY products, take a look at this site which you will see totally supports the type of subs we are offering - http://www.data-bass.com/home EDITED BY MODS PENDING VERIFICATIONI have done business in the UK for over 25 years and have hundreds of customers who can attest to my honesty and that I pay my bills.The first review of our Ultimate Subs is due shortly from the highly respected AV journalist Adam Rayner. He has heard them and will be publishing his findings soon. Would the editorial team from What HiFi be willing to visit our facilities in Berkshire? To my knowledge they are the only purpose built cinema facilities in the country and they contain a number of other systems that cannot be heard elsewhere in the country.I'm sure a visit from Recruit and or the editorial team would quickly expose whether the Ultimate Subs or anything else I do is a scam. Ideally I would like to let my products talk for themselves. If it is a scam I think it needs exposing, if not I'm sure it would make for some interesting editorial.Warm RegardsRob

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Scottthehat said:
like everything in this world its best to go try before you buy, and as gecko are offering home demos on there subs its an offer which is great if your in the market for a sub and have some money to spend.
Absolutely.

Just make sure you're aware of the cost of return shipping beforehand (by speaking to the company) as subwoofers can be (very) heavy things.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
An email for you guys from Rob at Gecko

Hi

I'm Rob Sinden owner of Gecko, distributor of MK loudspeakers in the UK and one of the people behind The Ultimate Sub Company.
I appreciate that a new sub company is going to lack credibility, which is why we have chosen to do business in a very specific way that I think makes sense in the day of Forums etc.Firstly, the reason I believe we can make a sub of better quality at the price than other products is that we have much, much lower costs. The rule of thumb in the trade for mass market speakers is that the retail price represents about 10% of the actual cost of the parts of the product. So a £1000 sub will have about £100 of components in it.As subs are big heavy items that cost a great deal to ship from China, to say a European distributor, to the UK dealer and to the consumer, a huge amount of the purchase price you pay for a heavy product like this is in the shipping cost. Secondly with no distributor or resellers involved we can afford to work on much lower margins than is common in the trade.As a result rather than 10% of the purchase price going into the final product from most major oversees manufacturers, we spend well over 60%. As a result one of our products will have a more solid cabinet, a much more powerful amp and a much better quality drive unit than similarly priced products.One of the aims for this company is for people to come here, to our facilities for demonstrations. When they do they will see a fully deconstructed subwoofer so they can see and assess the quality of parts themselves.Although I have already had people wanting to give deposits on subs, I haven't taken them yet because first we want experienced home cinema buffs to use them in their own homes alongside products they are familiar with. Before we ship any product we want to be 100% certain that people really do like the end product.The first full demonstration of our subwoofers was 3 weeks ago at a Forum event we host at our facilities on the last Sunday of every month. 15 home cinema buffs came along to hear three different models that we had on show. With a little searching you can find their feedback on the net which was unequivocally positive.Frankly there are more than enough subs to choose from already and my business is very busy with high end cinema installations. I would not waste time on a project like this unless we had something that was significantly superior or at least different to what is already available.I have been designing and installing home cinema system much longer than anyone else in the UK and the reason I have finally started producing our own subs is that the high end models on offer do not compete with what a small boutique manufacturer can provide. Anyone is welcome to visit us and hear what our 8 x 18" 12000w sub system can do.....If you want some unbiased, factual assessment of how poorly subwoofers that major manufacturers offer compared to DIY products, take a look at this site which you will see totally supports the type of subs we are offering - http://www.data-bass.com/home EDITED BY MODS PENDING VERIFICATIONI have done business in the UK for over 25 years and have hundreds of customers who can attest to my honesty and that I pay my bills.The first review of our Ultimate Subs is due shortly from the highly respected AV journalist Adam Rayner. He has heard them and will be publishing his findings soon. Would the editorial team from What HiFi be willing to visit our facilities in Berkshire? To my knowledge they are the only purpose built cinema facilities in the country and they contain a number of other systems that cannot be heard elsewhere in the country.I'm sure a visit from Recruit and or the editorial team would quickly expose whether the Ultimate Subs or anything else I do is a scam. Ideally I would like to let my products talk for themselves. If it is a scam I think it needs exposing, if not I'm sure it would make for some interesting editorial.Warm RegardsRob

Typical Rob Sinden, I will let WHF mods dictate what goes on here but he generally likes to take over and it is the usual sales tactics that he is using by writing out a long winded email full of sales talk!

I just hope people have more sense on this forum and dont get taken in by it, but like I said I will let the Mods here decide where Rob Sinden/Gecko are coming from !?!

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
I just find it a bit bizarre that Rob Sinden has an active forum sign-up on this site, yet chooses to communicate through a medium.

That is how he works, he gets a little crew together and gets them to spread his word according to him ;)

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Spoken like a true salesman! Well reading on the KK MK comparison AVF thread the honest Mr Sinden has been caught out claiming to have heard the new KK speakers on one thread and then later saying he hasn't heard Kens new range. Hmm. :?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Scottthehat said:
And i have heard subs that cost alot more than my diy subs and they certainly aint no better just cost 2/3x the price
One of the benefits of DIY is lower cost, so nothing new there.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Andrew,

Rob asked me to post his email as he cannot log into the forum.

This really is beginning to seem like a witch hunt.

How dare any one accuse me of being one of Rob Sindens "crew", what is this "The Following". Absolutely pathetic.

I would speak up for any dealer that I have had a long relationship with and I am truly surprised at WHF for allowing this behaviour to continue.

Shameful.

For what it's worth I have demoed ALL of the USC subs.

I know what I'm talking about having owned and heard many high end subs!!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, the reason I believe we can make a sub of better quality at the price than other products is that we have much, much lower costs. The rule of thumb in the trade for mass market speakers is that the retail price represents about 10% of the actual cost of the parts of the product. So a £1000 sub will have about £100 of components in it.

As subs are big heavy items that cost a great deal to ship from China, to say a European distributor, to the UK dealer and to the consumer, a huge amount of the purchase price you pay for a heavy product like this is in the shipping cost. Secondly with no distributor or resellers involved we can afford to work on much lower margins than is common in the trade.
This is making a lot of assumptions, unless he's speaking on behalf of the brands he is already distributing. The current Ken Kreisel products are partly as competitive as they are because Ken, the European distributor, and ourselves are all working on lower margins. Even if some of these new products (like the DXD12012, for example) were 50% more, it'd still be offering better value for money than many other manufacturers are currently offering. Of course, whether other people feel the same is subjective.

blahblah

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Ive been lurking on these forums for years & felt I had to register just to state this !

Andrew Everard said:
I just find it a bit bizarre that Rob Sinden has an active forum sign-up on this site, yet chooses to communicate through a medium.

And incorrectly state that one of his competitors is now bankrupt! Gecko dont seem like a very honourable company to deal with :shame:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts