the rega "top end" experience

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

before the lockdown i managed to audition the rega apollo cd player with the matching brio integrated amplifier and was impressed.

just wondering if anybody has heard the top of the range rega isis cd player and its matching osiris integrated amplifier ?

this bloke seemed to be impressed with the units !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02dDyP-Mbc

D

Deleted member 188516

i've noted that the isis cd player is supplied with rega's own design of interconnect cable plus both units are supplied with a "fancy" shielded mains cable.

i'm guessing these items help these "top end" products perform better and their inclusion is not just for "show" ?

D

Deleted member 108165

Nah, they're just for show, plus Rega can say in their blurb that they ship with top quality cables so they can charge a premium to satisfy the cable believers. Having read the blurb on the Rega site it appears that this "Reference" CDP doesn't play SACDs?... think I'd want all the bells and whistles at £6400!

Reactions: Gray and Al ears
D

Deleted member 188516

Nah, they're just for show, plus Rega can say in their blurb that they ship with top quality cables so they can charge a premium to satisfy the cable believers. Having read the blurb on the Rega site it appears that this "Reference" CDP doesn't play SACDs?... think I'd want all the bells and whistles at £6400!

i think the cd player was released just over 10 years ago but still, i agree, for that sort of money i would expect sacd playback.

the mains cables do look flash though !

£6000 with no Dac , Sacd , Roon , Streaming etc okay if your name is noah & you live on a ark
same money gets DCS , metronome , Audio Research , Esoteric or you can get 2 off these
The Rega does have a DAC, in fact it has two. Point taken though, if I had £6k to spend I would not be buying the Rega.
The Projects don't do SACD either. :)
I do like the look of them though.

D

Deleted member 108165

I heard the Osiris with a Vpi Traveler, forgot the speakers, and it was really underwhelming imo.
Probably needed to hear it with a "Reference Level" Rega turntable... system synergy and all that twaddle :)

D

Deleted member 108165

the mains cables do look flash though !
Conversation:
Owner: Hey guys look at my new piece of kit
Guys: Yeah, what does it do?
Owner: It plays CDs
Guys: How much did it cost?
Owner: £6400
Guys: How much!! Does it do anything else?
Owner: No.... but look at the flashy power cord!
:LOL:

D

Deleted member 188516

Conversation:
Owner: Hey guys look at my new piece of kit
Guys: Yeah, what does it do?
Owner: It plays CDs
Guys: How much did it cost?
Owner: £6400
Guys: How much!! Does it do anything else?
Owner: No.... but look at the flashy power cord!
:LOL:

i would of guessed that a component at that price point should be able to filter out / remove any "mains noise", real or imagined, by itself with out the need for a "fancy" mains cable.

i believe one of the differences between cheap and expensive cd players is that the power supplies are "better" because they clean the power fed to them more effectively ?

i have noted though (in rega's defence) that the super expensive esoteric cd players are also packed and demonstrated with exotic mains cables so who knows ?!

D

Deleted member 188516

I heard the Osiris with a Vpi Traveler, forgot the speakers, and it was really underwhelming imo.

i suppose it could be argued as to how much of that systems sound you heard was down to the source, amplifier, speakers and the room interaction.

as the video in the opening post states this bloke listened to a complete rega system so at least the components he was listening to had been designed to be actually used together.

Jimboo

i would of guessed that a component at that price point should be able to filter out / remove any "mains noise", real or imagined, by itself with out the need for a "fancy" mains cable.
real or imagined ?

i believe one of the differences between cheap and expensive cd players is that the power supplies are "better" because they clean the power fed to them more effectively ?
purer power to spin a disc that moves a plastic ratchet ?

i have noted though (in rega's defence) that the super expensive esoteric cd players are also packed and demonstrated with exotic mains cables so who knows ?!
Because if you are selling hi end it often doesn't sound it's price so it's best to make it look it's price , so hand made rare wood cable lifters are used instead of a London brick.

Reactions: matthewpiano
D

Deleted member 188516

Because if you are selling hi end it often doesn't sound it's price so it's best to make it look it's price , so hand made rare wood cable lifters are used instead of a London brick.

i not sure what cable lifters have to do with pricier kit (generally) having better power supplies but i see your point !

D

Deleted member 116933

What's with all this SACD nonsense i wouldn't base my purchase discussions on whether it could play SACD's.
Same for a DAC that can't play DSD. The content just isn't there to even worry about. If you want to mess with SACD get a blue ray player so you can also get the multi-channel aspect of it.

Then people go on to argue they wouldn't buy the thing because its hand made and comes with nice cables weather those said cables make a difference or not id base my buying decision more on that than SACD.

I don't know if you're looking to buy it. But buy what you like if you have the money and YOU (the op) feel it's worth it and you have auditioned it. Sure, there's better value products, heck I can go on ebay now and buy a pioneer DVD player from 20 years ago that does everything, SACD and all for a 5 quid, plug it into my chord DAC and probably sounds pretty good.

Seems to be a lot of trash-talking of product that probably hasn't been listened too by any here but everyone is entitled to there opinion but these arent opinions.

Hi-fi is rarely a sensible game. And as with anything, diminishing returns happen very quickly.

It's like comparing the chord qutest to the chord dave if you have to ask what the difference is, get the cheaper one its as simple as that.

D

Deleted member 188516

What's with all this SACD nonsense i wouldn't base my purchase discussions on whether it could play SACD's.
Same for a DAC that can't play DSD. The content just isn't there to even worry about. If you want to mess with SACD get a blue ray player so you can also get the multi-channel aspect of it.

Then people go on to argue they wouldn't buy the thing because its hand made and comes with nice cables weather those said cables make a difference or not id base my buying decision more on that than SACD.

I don't know if you're looking to buy it. But buy what you like if you have the money and YOU (the op) feel it's worth it and you have auditioned it. Sure, there's better value products, heck I can go on ebay now and buy a pioneer DVD player from 20 years ago that does everything, SACD and all for a 5 quid, plug it into my chord DAC and probably sounds pretty good.

Seems to be a lot of trash-talking of product that probably hasn't been listened too by any here but everyone is entitled to there opinion but these arent opinions.

Hi-fi is rarely a sensible game. And as with anything, diminishing returns happen very quickly.

It's like comparing the chord qutest to the chord dave if you have to ask what the difference is, get the cheaper one its as simple as that.

some good points made. this thread was not started to trash rega far from it as i like the fact their kit is made in britain.

i dont own any sacd's anyway but i think the point(s) made regarding that the same money can buy a lot more technology now is valid.

(i have also stated that the isis is over 10 years old i may add).

i did ask in my op if any body had heard the isis and osiris combined with me having been impressed with the entry level apollo and brio combination.

the video i attached is what can only be described as a very positive review - its the reason i included it.

once again has any body heard these two "top end" units ?

rainsoothe

i suppose it could be argued as to how much of that systems sound you heard was down to the source, amplifier, speakers and the room interaction.

as the video in the opening post states this bloke listened to a complete rega system so at least the components he was listening to had been designed to be actually used together.
Of course, all are valid points, I was just mentioning my experience. Speakers might have been Dynaudio, by the way. I remember that in the same period of time, I also heard the Traveler through Jadis Orchestra tube amp and Focal Electra standmounts, and it was an entirely different beast. Even the Naim Supernait 1 was much, much better to me, and I even preferred a Roksan Kandy K2. Yes, all in different rooms and with different partnering equipment, but some of the traits are still discernable imo.

D

Deleted member 188516

Of course, all are valid points, I was just mentioning my experience. Speakers might have been Dynaudio, by the way. I remember that in the same period of time, I also heard the Traveler through Jadis Orchestra tube amp and Focal Electra standmounts, and it was an entirely different beast. Even the Naim Supernait 1 was much, much better to me, and I even preferred a Roksan Kandy K2. Yes, all in different rooms and with different partnering equipment, but some of the traits are still discernable imo.

i appreciate your views and contribution to this thread, after all, i did ask for peoples experience of these units - apologies if you thought i was criticising your post.

i only mentioned the included "special" cables that accompany the units as i could not think of another way of bumping the thread !

(100 plus views but no replies !)

rainsoothe

[QUno, don't worry, no offense taken whatsoever.OTE="plus 1, post: 1206228, member: 188516"]
i appreciate your views and contribution to this thread, after all, i did ask for peoples experience of these units - apologies if you thought i was criticising your post.

i only mentioned the included "special" cables that accompany the units as i could not think of another way of bumping the thread !

[/QUOTE]

No, don't worry, no offense taken whatsoever.

Friesiansam

£6000 with no Dac , Sacd , Roon , Streaming etc okay if your name is noah & you live on a ark
same money gets DCS , metronome , Audio Research , Esoteric or you can get 2 off these
Surely that depends on what you want from your CD player? I for one have no SACDs, don't want Roon and don't stream, although I also can't spend ₤6000+ on any hifi gear and I'm sure my wife thinks I am mad spending ₤799 on a pair of headphones (Focal Elegia).

Martins2chan

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hey Plus 1,
I can provide information on the saturn, Isis and Cambridge 640c. My 3 silver spinners prior are too long ago for comparison.
I upgraded from the Cambridge to the Rega SaturnR.
The unit absolutely tired me out with the scope of musical information presented. Absolutely blew me away. I had purchased some sonus faber Cremona Me and wanted better digital source.
The Azure 640c was mushy instrumentaly and could not compete with the Saturns R's detail retrieval, tonal scope or timbre. The SaturnR though did not provide the 3d stage depth I was chasing, stringing the stage out like a pair of phones.
Musically I could not fault it. Get the unit side by side with good vinyl you will know what I mean.
Ok I wanted more, absolute longevity and 3D presentation. Got the finances orderly and purchased a demo Isis. The outcome is way more than I could have expected, I enjoy music way beyond my usual taste and the sum of the parts absolutely squashes the idea of diminishing returns.
WhatHifi did a review a long time ago, much of which was valid, particularly pairing with the Osiris amp to overcome the bass heavy Isis, which I eventually did.
But the nuanced tonal depth across the spectrum and instrumental timbre/signature identity is beguiling. The disc information retrieval will push past vinyl but the sound signature is different. You won't debate the two sources, the quality is way beyond those arguments. Hope this helps.
You won't blow your money but you may not purchase another spinner beyond

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts