The new April issue!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello! I’m the new Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision. As well as introducing myself online, I’d like to point out that the Dali Motif speaker review on page 18 in the new April issue is, in fact, incomplete by er, 12 words.

Here they are: “...positives, but it’s fundamental enough to cost the Dalis their fifth star.” If you haven't read the review, that sentence gives away the essence of the review... I’m new, but saving that excuse for my next point.

The above was an error at printing stage. Honest. Next up is page 79 which concerns the distinctly passé Blu-ray vs HD-DVD debate as part of the home cinema ‘If You Want To Buy’ panel.

The issue went to print before the Toshiba announcement so it couldn’t be helped. The heading, which reads Multichannel Speakers should, of course, say something about HD players. I’ll claim that one. The excuse? Did I say I’m new? Anyway, I hope you enjoy the issue – thoughts, suggestions and ideas appreciated....

Rich

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi and welcome to your very own forum
emotion-2.gif

I shall think you have been browsing in the last few weeks so you might already know how mad we all are!!!

Good luck with your (Great) new job.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
.[quote user="Thaiman"]
Hi and welcome to your very own forum
emotion-2.gif

I shall think you have been browsing in the last few weeks so you might already know how mad we all are!!!
[/quote]

Being sat in front of the PC with my underpants on my head and pencils up my nose, doesn't prove I'm mad.

I suppose that's the good thing about forums, you can apologise for your mistakes before anyone realises you have made them. Welcome to the magazine Richard, we are a nice bunch really, except when we're discussing cables and magazine printing errors.

A

Anonymous

Hi Richard,
Best of luck with your new job.
Got me April copy through the post on Monday and it's one of the best editions in a long time. New products by Moon, Naim, Spendor, Rega... Keep it up!cheersjules.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
More focus on hifi please Richard. It's still a far more emotional area that Home Cinema, although we obviously have to be cogniscent of the spend/consumer interest in the latter.

There are many people on this forum who would like a big cable/mains supertest too as you'll see from the most responded-to threads.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh please, please, please put the cable debate to bed!

It is possible that those who claim it makes no difference are truely, physically unable to hear the difference. However, a scientific approach, using those who claim they can hear the difference, with the results properly analysed (ANOVA anyone?), would provide a definitive position on this thorny subject.

For the result to be credible, the design of the experiment will be absolutely essential for the subsequent analysis to be valid. I might be able to offer my services here if required.

One must consider the possible fallout if the null hypothesis is supported. I am assuming here that the null hypothesis would be that there is no difference. Would the mag want to publish such a result?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think he is a bit shy compare to the last Editing Manager
emotion-2.gif

and why PJpro going all techie? I don't know one Magazine that would like to be involve in cables debate as it's a no win situation! just leave the matter to us, keep argue until cows come home.....at least website do get most hits when we have cables debates
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]

Certainly wouldn't help advertising revenues if the result went 'the wrong way' ;)[/quote]
Grow up, Fr0g - our reviews are totally editorially independent, as discussed here and elsewhere - we tell it like it is, regardless of whether it annoys advertisers (which it very frequently does).

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
we tell it like it is, regardless of whether it annoys advertisers (which it very frequently does). [/quote]

Exactly. Lost count of the number of times we've had manufacturers or their PRs screaming down the phone at us (or sending us stroppy emails) because they didn't like our review. Happens all the time (and not just on WHFSV, but on our other mags too). Comes with the job.

A

Anonymous

I haven't lost count, but I am counting and it's a big number. And that's just one issue!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Richard Melville"]I haven't lost count, but I am counting and it's a big number. And that's just one issue![/quote]

Welcome to the House of Fun

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Welcome to the show - nice of you to take the time to introduce yourself to us. Hopefully you will be as helpful and active as the other members of staff at WHFS&V towers.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr

A

Anonymous

A very warm welcome to you sir enjoy your priceless new role

Cheers Tony

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself as well.

I'm the new managing editor of the magazine. And I'm delighted to be here.

Happy as I am for Rich to take all the flak for any errors (naturally) I ought to confess that many of them will have been down to me. So go easy on us
emotion-10.gif

Rest assured we're all doing all we can to make the mag as error free as possible, but we are human.

Well most of us are.

I have the suspicion that Andrew E is a machine... (3800-odd posts? Blimey)

Oh, and Cloughy: my formatting is working!
emotion-19.gif
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

Jonny

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

.....and why PJpro going all techie?.......
[/quote]
I've been really rather ill of late and had just recovered on that day......a bit stir crazy I guess. Anyway, I'm back to work now, so I'm giving my team the grief instead.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cofnchtr"]Now we have 2 Mr. E's on the forum.[/quote]

Doh! this can be confusing....

How about if we have "young Mr. E" and "younger Mr. E"?
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm not really bothered about chocolate. Thank God I like shoes, or this chocolate-ambivalence - together with my love of sport, beer, and consumer electronics - could be seen as letting the female side down
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]To the new editor and executive editor and omniscient-editor-in-chief-oh-great-sage, an important question which could decide your future reception on these hallowed pages:

Milk or plain?[/quote]

John Duncan

I spent nearly five hundred quid in Selfridges last night. Am I a girl?

Chocolate-ambivalence is fine in it's purest sense, but i do of course mean when applied to Hob Nobs. Think carefully before answering.

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I knew it could only be Hob Nobs.

Not sure if this is the right answer, but it's plain for me...

Mind you, I'm not fussy. Milk will do nicely as well.

And yet, for me, neither of them can hold a candle to the M&S dark chocolate ginger.

Now that is a prince among biccies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts