Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Spendor SA1

B&W PM1

PMC DB1

Kef Ls50

Acoustic Energy AE1 MKIII

ATC SCM11

Soundstage, bass performance, naturalness - who is best in these aspects to your opinion? Based of course on personal experience. What would you prefer and why?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spendor SA1 - Quite an unassuming sound, pretty neutral, nicely detailed, not greatly extended bass due to its small sealed cabinet, but quite a natural, even bass, if a little light compared to the rest of the group.

B&W PM1 - Beautifully open treble and amazingly detailed. Quite a lot of bass for such a small standmount with a small bass driver, but like all mini monitors, you're not going to get gig levels with bass heavy material. Lovely build and finish. They like a bit of space to work well in, despite being front ported.

PMC DB1 - One of the lighter (weight) models here, so it may not feel in the same quality as the likes f the LS50 or PM1. One of the livelier performers of the group that still sounds exciting at lower volumes. Can sound a little boxy in comparison to others in the group.

Kef LS50 - More akin to listening to headphones with their ability to stop/start. Great detail and projection. Bass isn't the deepest here, but what they do have is pretty solid. Like the PM1's, they do like a little bit of space to stretch their legs.

Acoustic Energy AE1 MKIII - I have heard the MkIII's but it was quite a while ago, so it would be unfair of me to comment. I did hear the Classic version more recently.

ATC SCM11 - Sounds a little restrained in the top end compared to some of the other models here, but they posses the largest bass driver of the group and would probably win out on SPL. Again, pretty neutral, with a nice even bass due to a sealed cabinet.

All of these models need capable amplification to get the best from them, the level of which varies depending on the model. The PM1's, LS50's, and DB1's have greater presence than the other speakers, which tend to lack a little in comparison at lower volumes.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Spendor SA1

B&W PM1

PMC DB1

Kef Ls50

Acoustic Energy AE1 MKIII

ATC SCM11

Soundstage, bass performance, naturalness - who is best in these aspects to your opinion? Based of course on personal experience. What would you prefer and why?

IME:

ATC SCM7 - Great dynamics, imaging/soundstage and midrange stability (even at high volumes) but lack bass extension.

ATC SCM11 - Much the same as the SCM7 but with the bass extension that they lack.

Spendor SA1 - Slightly warmer presentation than the SCM7, noticable with bit more weight to vocals.

PMC DB1 (DB1S+) - Very good bass extension for size at the expense of integration with the treble, slightly veiled midrange.

Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII - Only heard the original AE2, cant comment.

KEF LS50 - Only heard as part of a 5.1 setup

B&W PM1 - Never heard.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used to own the Spendor SA 1 and PMC DB1i.

The SA 1 has excellent midrange, so it handles piano and vocals very well. However, as David has pointed out, it is a bit bass-light.

The DB1i has deeper bass and possibly a fuller sound, though I thought the cabinet work was not great at that price.

Between the two, I preferred the SA 1.

Sorry, I haven't heard the others on the list, but if I may, I'd like to add two - the ProAc Tablette Anniversary and the Harbeth P3ESR.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I compared the B&W PM1's against the KEF LS50's I prefered the midrange and treble of the PM1's which I found smoother, more even, less coloured, whilst still being detailed. I really didn't like the bass of the PM1's, which at generous, but not too loud volumes I found to be objectionably distorted. On certain tracks the LS50's had an appealing zest in the midrange that was lacking from the PM1's. Overall I'd say that the PM1's and LS50's are equally good sounding but with different strengths and weaknesses. When considering their prices when buying new, I'd go for the LS50's every time over the PM1's. If they were equally priced, for my tastes I'd probably still go for the LS50's, but could fully understand why other people would prefer the PM1's.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I own and use the spendor SA1's, the PMC DB1i's, and Leema Xero's in my three systems. I must like mini monitors I guess (although to be fair the pmcs are rear channels in my 5.1 system).

I think which is best is really system dependant and also varies according to taste. My other half likes the SA1's the least and would choose the Leemas every time (its amazing hom much bass they produce with such small drivers). I would suggest you try to listen to the leemas too if possible.

My choice for stereo (in the right system) would be the spendors, they have such a lovely way with voices, they are detailed without ever being tiring to listen to. They dont have a lot of bass for sure, but what they have is really accurate, and balanced within the overall sound. I love them.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
I own and use the spendor SA1's, the PMC DB1i's, and Leema Xero's in my three systems. I must like mini monitors I guess (although to be fair the pmcs are rear channels in my 5.1 system).

I think which is best is really system dependant and also varies according to taste. My other half likes the SA1's the least and would choose the Leemas every time (its amazing hom much bass they produce with such small drivers). I would suggest you try to listen to the leemas too if possible.

My choice for stereo (in the right system) would be the spendors, they have such a lovely way with voices, they are detailed without ever being tiring to listen to. They dont have a lot of bass for sure, but what they have is really accurate, and balanced within the overall sound. I love them.

I concur with this, I have the SA1s and they are perect for my system and taste, I play a lot of classical music and sound very realistic but also cope with more contempary music as well......................

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Totem Model 1 Signature are in a class above this bunch; incredible imaging and soundstage, a Dynaudio driver for bass (allowing for the fact it's still a 30cm monitor), just "musical" as silly as that sounds. Of course, at twice the price of most of them you pay for the quality, but if you're in the market for spending £800 - £1000 on a mini-monitor, have a look around for a used pair of these. Well worth it.

The KEF LS50 is on my 'must listen' list. They have had too many raves to be a fluke.

In the under £1000 range the new Sonus faber Venere 1.5 are already garnering great critiques in the USA. Another UK magazine raved about their floorstanding 2.5s in the March edition. Being a Sf fan, I'd definitely seek them out.

As Ketan likes the ProAcs then they'd be at the top too! I'd trust his ears. :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
The KEF LS50 is on my 'must listen' list. They have had too many raves to be a fluke.

In the under £1000 range the new Sonus faber Venere 1.5 are already garnering great critiques in the USA. Another UK magazine raved about their floorstanding 2.5s in the March edition. Being a Sf fan, I'd definitely seek them out.

As Ketan likes the ProAcs then they'd be at the top too! I'd trust his ears. :)

RAve reviews maybe but don't expect too much, many have been underwhelmed by them, I have read lots of comments, a guy yesterday did not like them, also here is another reviewer's comments: "i have never been more disappointed, and haven't heard "boxiness" like this in many years!I really cannot understand how these speakers are so highly reviewed!"

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
RAve reviews maybe but don't expect too much, many have been underwhelmed by them, I have read lots of comments, a guy yesterday did not like them, also here is another reviewer's comments: "i have never been more disappointed, and haven't heard "boxiness" like this in many years!I really cannot understand how these speakers are so highly reviewed!"

Boxiness? Maybe a course of wax removal is needed. A speaker that sounds boxy can't 'disappear' or sound transparent. All five of mine draw zero attention to themselves - they completely disappear. Who is this "reviewer"?

I fully understand that not everyone will like them, and that may be for different reasons. We all know that making something sound more accurate isn't necessarily to everyone's tastes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BigH said:

Boxiness? Maybe a course of wax removal is needed. A speaker that sounds boxy can't 'disappear' or sound transparent. All five of mine draw zero attention to themselves - they completely disappear. Who is this "reviewer"?

I fully understand that not everyone will like them, and that may be for different reasons. We all know that making something sound more accurate isn't necessarily to everyone's tastes.

It is just some bod on this site if you look under "Your Opions" under the Kef LS50 review you will find it and also this "Completely agree, auditioned the LS50's against the KEF R100 and the R300 and the clear winner was the R100 followed by R300 and last by a long way was the LS50's which sounded like a car stereo speaker very boxy and unnatural sounding..."

Just saying not everyone likes them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
It is just some bod on this site if you look under "Your Opions" under the Kef LS50 review you will find it and also this "Completely agree, auditioned the LS50's against the KEF R100 and the R300 and the clear winner was the R100 followed by R300 and last by a long way was the LS50's which sounded like a car stereo speaker very boxy and unnatural sounding..."

Not exactly noteworthy then. They're entitled to their opinion, although I cant help thinking that their overexaggerated comparison to a car speaker has been made for controversial purposes, or as a spoiler. I changed from R300's to LS50's and there's just no comparison as far as I'm concerned (take note Max, I'm recommending a product that is better AND CHEAPER).

We sell more R Series than LS50's because the majority if people just don't seem to like their music sounding too clean.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

Not exactly noteworthy then.

[/quote]

Well for me carries as much weight as anyone else's opinion. As I said they are not for everyone.

I will be hoping to dem them next time, what amp around £800 would you recommend, was going to hear the Audiolab 8200.

Out of the brands mentioned, I've only heard Spendor, PMC and ATC.

ATCs are a fabulously natural sounding speaker, however, their strengths and weakenesses are the sealed box.

SA-1 are nicely detailed tiny monitor, although overpriced IMO.

PMC DB1i: Not too much to criticise. They have more than ample bass depth, married to wonderful detail. IMO, pound-for-pound, one of the finest small monitors I've heard.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Well for me carries as much weight as anyone else's opinion. As I said they are not for everyone.

I will be hoping to dem them next time, what amp around £800 would you recommend, was going to hear the Audiolab 8200.

I just meant in a reviewers sense. Everyone's opinion is valid, but there are opinions out there that are voiced to 'rock the boat', or to spoil :)

As well as the Audiolab, try the Pioneer A50 or A70, Rotel RA12 or RA1520, and although it is a little more, the Naim Nait 5i.

matthewpiano

I love the PM1s. I've heard them driven by the Audiolab Monos and also by Classe amplification and they sounded wonderfully open and informative both times. They really put you right into the mix and they have a very balanced and cohesive sound when driven properly.

I also love the DB1i. I personally think the PM1s are better but then there is a price difference so you would hope so. For their price the DB1i are hard to beat with a particularly holographic imaging ability that I've heard from very few speakers.

Haven't heard the Spendors but I've always been intrigued. I have heard the KEF R100 and R300 and thought they were very good, if trying to produce a little too much bass in compensation for their size.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Spendor SA1 - Quite an unassuming sound, pretty neutral, nicely detailed, not greatly extended bass due to its small sealed cabinet, but quite a natural, even bass, if a little light compared to the rest of the group.

B&W PM1 - Beautifully open treble and amazingly detailed. Quite a lot of bass for such a small standmount with a small bass driver, but like all mini monitors, you're not going to get gig levels with bass heavy material. Lovely build and finish. They like a bit of space to work well in, despite being front ported.

PMC DB1 - One of the lighter (weight) models here, so it may not feel in the same quality as the likes f the LS50 or PM1. One of the livelier performers of the group that still sounds exciting at lower volumes. Can sound a little boxy in comparison to others in the group.

Kef LS50 - More akin to listening to headphones with their ability to stop/start. Great detail and projection. Bass isn't the deepest here, but what they do have is pretty solid. Like the PM1's, they do like a little bit of space to stretch their legs.

Acoustic Energy AE1 MKIII - I have heard the MkIII's but it was quite a while ago, so it would be unfair of me to comment. I did hear the Classic version more recently.

ATC SCM11 - Sounds a little restrained in the top end compared to some of the other models here, but they posses the largest bass driver of the group and would probably win out on SPL. Again, pretty neutral, with a nice even bass due to a sealed cabinet.

All of these models need capable amplification to get the best from them, the level of which varies depending on the model. The PM1's, LS50's, and DB1's have greater presence than the other speakers, which tend to lack a little in comparison at lower volumes.
What in your opinion David ,would be the min. space required for the B&W's? Asyou point out they are '' front ported ''.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately it is hard to recommend a distance because rooms are different. The wall behind the speaker could be stud partition, plasterboard with a gap then brick/breeze block, solid brick, brick cavity, double brick, stone, breeze block etc etc. All these will have a different effect on a speaker/subwoofer's in room performance. The type of flooring can also affect things.

You could be talking inches or feet, regardless of where the port is situated.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Unfortunately it is hard to recommend a distance because rooms are different. The wall behind the speaker could be stud partition, plasterboard with a gap then brick/breeze block, solid brick, brick cavity, double brick, stone, breeze block etc etc. All these will have a different effect on a speaker/subwoofer's in room performance. The type of flooring can also affect things.

You could be talking inches or feet, regardless of where the port is situated.

David, I have brick cavity walls, where the speakers will be less than 1 feet away, not near corners though, will the KEF LS50 and DB1is be alright in that situation, floor is wooden floorboards covered with carpet, room is 17 x11 feet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts