Speakers, DAC and possibly amplifier for PC - assistance required

auntybernie

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I need help on settting up a computer based audio system. This is for my office, and the source will be exclusively PC based, with a physical link between the PC and speakers. No wireless connections needed. I listen to all kinds of music, from jazz to indie and alternative, nearly all in FLAC. I would say that I average a minimum of 5 to 6 hours a day (sometimes substantially more) listening to music whilst working. The volume is always at a low level.

The wall against which the speakers will be placed measures 163cm in width, whereas the distance from the wall to where I sit is 190cm - could extend to 210cm by moving the desk, preferably not.

I do not have a particular budget in mind, but was thinking of around £1,500 - £2,000 (obviously excluding the PC!). Would of course be more than happy to spend even less. I do not have the possibility of audtioning the equipment, though I do not consider myself to be overly fussy. My biggest issue is the speakers, since the listening distance is limited. Which makes me wonder whether I should go for passive or active speakers. Whatever the choice, the quality of the sound is paramount. This is what I had in mind:

SPEAKERS (passive) - PMC Twenty 21, Focal Aria 906, KEF LS50, Spendor SA1 (used). Obviously alternate recommendations are more than welcome. Would also consider used equipment.

SPEAKERS (active) - Genelec M040, Epoz Aktimate Blue,. Would need a good DAC to partner the Genelecs.

AMPLIFIER - If I were to decide for passive speakers, it will obviously depend on the speakers that will be purchased. I am aware, for example, that the KEF LS50 require substantial amplification.

DAC - Again depends on what I am to go for. Would not mind having a headphone amp/DAC combo, as I do use headphones elsewhere (Audio technica ATH-M50).

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

I think for your situation, active would be the way to go, as they are designed more for the pro market I think they are better value than hifi systems. The Epoz Aktimate Blue is not active, its a power speaker, has amp in speakers but its passive. Ive heard them, not that impressed, too much bass for me and rather unbalanced.

Some actives have Dac inside as well like AVI 9RS, which at £1,250 are great value.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
A pair of Quested S7R or Genelec 8040a active speakers and a Matrix Mini DAC/pre-amp will give you an incredible sounding system for well under £2k.

Or use the Mini-I to drive a pair of, ahem, DM5s. (I see what you did there steve.....!)

Particularly effective if they need to go close to a wall.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
One thing to take into account is that there is not so much space for the speakers, and it seems like they will be closed to the walls. I would discard large speakers, and also the LS50 which in my opinion benefit from space around.

Even though you said that you don't need wireless speakers, the Dynaudio XEO 3 would fit your bill well—in addition to some of the options given above. They can be placed closed to the walls, even be wall-mounted, and a separate DAC would not be needed. You can also configure them to set the volume at the source—your computer—, so that you don't need to use the remote control. And it's possible to get them right now at pretty much half the price they had when there were released, since they are being phased out by the newer XEO 4 model.

auntybernie

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for the input.

Are all the passive speakers I mentoned unsuitable for the particular environment I described? And will the quality of the sound of the active speakers being suggested be equivalent to that of a normal hifi set up (passive speakers + separate amp)?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Actives are not universally better than passives but their design does have advantages in that the crossover implementation is far better and you get a dedicated amplifier for each drive unit paired by the manufacturer. All things being equal a properly implemented active speaker will be better than a passive version of the same speakers in most cases, often significantly better.

I think the likes of the LS50, while good speakers wouldn’t be ideal for a desktop set up, they do sound better in a bit of space. There is nothing to suggest you couldn’t implement a really good passive set up but I’d agree with the general consensus that for your needs active would be the way to go. Have a look at the Genelec and Adam ranges and I also think the AVI DM5 suggestion would be worth exploring although I’ve not heard these myself. The larger AVI 9.1 or what ever they’re called now as mentioned have everything you need in the speakers, that being DAC and pre-amp section so all you need if to connect up your source and away you go.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
ATC SCM7, SMC11 & SCM19 are worth looking at. Sealed cabinets should behave better in tight space but tend to need more power to control them.

A cheaper small option could be the Neat Iotas.

B&W PM1

People are recommending actives for a reason though...

auntybernie

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I have always used passive speakers - hence the hesitation.

So are all of the passive speakers I mentioned in my first post unsuitable for a listening distance of around 150cm?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
auntybernie said:
I have always used passive speakers - hence the hesitation.

So are all of the passive speakers I mentioned in my first post unsuitable for a listening distance of around 150cm?

I think there are a number of issues.

Firstly, if you are listening close then smaller speakers will 'integrate' better, ie the sound will appear to come from a point source which is generally a good thing.

Secondly we have the issue of positioning, particularly in regard to bass response. Most speakers are designed to work in free space, more or less, ie away from room boundaries. Get too close to a wall or other boundary and reflections from the wall will add to the bass causing boom and muddyness, there are exceptions but they a relatively rare. Placing them against a wall or on a desktop will at best limit their effectiveness, at worst, make them unlistenable.

Active speakers can have several advantages, the use of an active crossover may allow for some useful adjustment at the bass end, and the direct amplifier-driver offers greater control. The result is a speaker that is more tolerent of positioning so possibly a better choice in this instance.

Given the budget a decent dac/pre-amp and, say, a pair of Quested S7r would be the sort of thing I would look at.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
KEF have some desktop computer speakers that would be ideal. Especially if you're considering the LS50 as I imagine they're quite similar.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
You should also look into the KEF X300 active speakers. They are very good and well below your budget. Maybe they're all you really need. I have the LS50s at home, and the X300s in my photography studio and they sound fantastic. You have the option to set the EQ for sitting on a deck or on stands if you want.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
auntybernie said:
Any suggestions for a passive set-up? Strange but I am only getting recomendations for actives.

I'm busy setting up a system for spotify ....

I bought an old pair of Wharefedale Diamonds for £12 ... currently I have it connected to an old Pioneer SX-700L receiver and am using some cables that my son gave me ... directly connected from the headphone outlet of my laptop into the receiver/amp

I was looking at cheap Dac's and the Behringer UCA-202 U-Control USB Audio Interface Adapter was recomended

These cost just over £15 on ebay ....

if you want a new cheap amp, look at the Topping TP-20 MK2 T-Amp or similar .... they sell for just over £40 new on ebay

I most prob will get an old Sansui amp or even an old Pioneer A-400 .... I'm very happy with the Wharefedale speakers, but had my mind set on Mission 751

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
auntybernie said:
Any suggestions for a passive set-up? Strange but I am only getting recomendations for actives.

Passive wall mounted speakers I suggest Neat Iotas, they are small. For amp. maybe Naim or Creek 50A. Be interesting to see if they are better than the AVI 5s, will be about x2 the price.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
auntybernie said:
Have even seen them (online) apparetly used as desktop monitors.

I reall want to come up with something good.

I thought you were about 6 feet away from the speakers? I would suggest wall mounting rather than on the desk, for several reasons. Some active speakers are very good, thats why they are used in studios. I don't think the LS50s or PMCs would be ideal in your set up.

abacus

You need to use near field monitors for best performance in this type of situation.

My best recommendation is to pop down to your local professional music store (Not Hi Fi dealer) that will be able to give you suitable recommendations, and allow you to try out a number of speakers. (Usually active are best in this type of environment)

Hope this helps

Bill

auntybernie

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
The length from where I sit to the wall is 180cm (6feet) - coild increase it by another 30 - 50 cm (1-2feet)by moving the desk. It was never my intention to place them on the desk - maybe that is why we are getting confused.

I intent to mount the speakers, whether active or passive, on stands. Hence, although rather close, I am not too sure that small bookshelfs would be too close to the listening position.

I also would consider the Focal Aria 950. I already own a Focal system and pleased with the result.

Also, if I were to go for actives, I was considering the Genelec M040 + B.M.C. Puredac. Read a review that spoke very highly of the comination. Would the Genelecs be fine at such a distance (noton the desk bu about six feet away), or are they too small?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
auntybernie said:
The length from where I sit to the wall is 180cm (6feet) - coild increase it by another 30 - 50 cm (1-2feet)by moving the desk. It was never my intention to place them on the desk - maybe that is why we are getting confused.

I intent to mount the speakers, whether active or passive, on stands. Hence, although rather close, I am not too sure that small bookshelfs would be too close to the listening position.

I also would consider the Focal Aria 950. I already own a Focal system and pleased with the result.

Also, if I were to go for actives, I was considering the Genelec M040 + B.M.C. Puredac. Read a review that spoke very highly of the comination. Would the Genelecs be fine at such a distance (noton the desk bu about six feet away), or are they too small?

Have not heard the Genelec M040, but having read a review it seems they should be OK. One thing is they need to have tweeters at ear level as they seem quite directional, so at a desk you will need tall stands. If you play at low/medium volume they should be fine.

auntybernie

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
In view of the particular restrictions and the proposed use of standmounts at a distance of +/- 6 feet from listener, any alternative set-ups that you would suggest? Maybe something you have alreayd experienced

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts