Anyone heard Acoustic Energy Reference speakers with Cyrus amplification?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Interested to demo some different speakers with my cyrus gear. While I love my current speakers (Spendor SA1's) they will be too small for the room when we move shortly.

Reviews of the Acoustic Energy Reference 1 and 2 speakers sound like they could be what I am looking for, good at low volumes being a priority. I would prefer standmounts if possible.

Has anyone heard the Acoustic Energy Refernce speakers with Cyrus amps? How did they sound?

As well as B&W PM1s and Kef LS50/R300, what else should I demo?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
gregvet said:
Interested to demo some different speakers with my cyrus gear. While I love my current speakers (Spendor SA1's) they will be too small for the room when we move shortly.

Reviews of the Acoustic Energy Reference 1 and 2 speakers sound like they could be what I am looking for, good at low volumes being a priority. I would prefer standmounts if possible.

Has anyone heard the Acoustic Energy Refernce speakers with Cyrus amps? How did they sound?

As well as B&W PM1s and Kef LS50/R300, what else should I demo?

Listened to ref 1's and pm1's ........Chose LS50'S

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
What amplification is/was that with?

I have a feeling I may go the same way, but keen to demo other options too.

Also interested in the Tannoy DC8's, although they are hard to find for demo near me.

Messiah

I have heard the Reference 1s but with Naim gear and not Cyrus. I thought they sounded excellent.

Cannot really say though how they will sound with Cyrus. Can you demo them?

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Definitely trial Audiovectors! But I would say that... (see signature below...)

Usual suspects for Cyrus are: Audiovector (!), PMC, Proac, Dynaudio (some), ATCs, Spendor (which you have, but maybe a different model), Vienna Acoustics (nearly bought in preferenct to AVs).

Enjoy the hunt!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I love pmc, and if I didn't already have pmc + arcam in my main system I would definitely be looking at pmc for this system. I don't really want my flat to look like the pmc showroom tho. Variety is the spice of life!

Have you heard the acoustic energy reference speakers?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Interesting, havent heard Audiovectors before. How do they sound, and how do they go with the cyrus?

I have heard and been impressed with Vienna Acoustics, but i think you need the floorstanders to really pack a punch, and I would prefer stand mounted speakers. Which ones did you nearly go for?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
gregvet said:
What amplification is/was that with?

I have a feeling I may go the same way, but keen to demo other options too.

Also interested in the Tannoy DC8's, although they are hard to find for demo near me.

I demoed with my own Yamaha AS2000 amp/sacd combination.

The PM1's and Ref 1's sound very good.

But pound for pound the LS50's just sound so right.

Fun to listen too, easy to position and the construction is very solid. :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a lovely system alchemist 1.

I havent heard it, but i have always assumed the yamaha has a more laidback sound than the cyrus I have in this system. In the past when I have put cyrus and kef together in a demo, I have always felt I wouldnt be able to live with the combination long term. Hopefully that wont be the case with the LS50's and my DacXP/X Power combo, but I will need to demo to find out.

Thanks for the feedback

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
I use a Cyrus 6XP with my KEF LS50 and love the sound. :rockout:

I chose the LS50 over the R300.

Thats good to know. How would you describe the sound from your system? What is your source, and how big is the room?

Sorry for all the questions!

I am definitely looking forward to demoing the LS50's, and if the 6xp drives them well I can only assume my Dac XP and X power will really give them some welly ;)

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if you can stretch your budget i think you now have the system to do justice to something like dynaudios focus 160's. would be worth a home demo if you can find a helpful dealer and the reddies.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Dynaudio is an interesting suggestion. I have demo'd them several times (The excite range I believe), but always found them to be really overblown in the bass department. Having said that, I have never felt confident they were set up properly. The Focus 160 is a good suggestion and I will try to demo them too.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
bluebrazil said:
if you can stretch your budget i think you now have the system to do justice to something like dynaudios focus 160's. would be worth a home demo if you can find a helpful dealer and the reddies.

Just realised that the Focus 160's are less than the B&W PM1's I hav already said I want to demo with my kit. Is there anything between the Focus 160 and the Confidence C1 in the Dynaudio range that would suit?

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
How do they sound? Fantastic! I auditioned all the brands in my post. Was very close between the AVs and Vienna Acoutics (can't remember which model...)

Very accurate speakers. Look good too, so WAF (wife accetance factor) is high!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
bluebrazil said:

Just realised that the Focus 160's are less than the B&W PM1's I hav already said I want to demo with my kit. Is there anything between the Focus 160 and the Confidence C1 in the Dynaudio range that would suit?

theres the contour 1.4 but that really is a big speaker with oodles of bass, it would need loads of free air around it and could over power most rooms if not set up properly, its very much a no compromise speaker re placement. i noticed there is a smaller standmount in the contour range that looks like its for use on a wall or as a surround but i have never heard it.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bluebrazil. Sounds like the Focus 160 will be about right then.

Just found out my local Dynaudio dealer is now an ex-local Dynaudio dealer, so will have to go further afield. Never mind!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts