Acoustic energy ae500 match with rega elex r?

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I’m in a position to upgrade my speakers, my amp a rega elex r paired with a planar 3, although looking to upgrade this to a clearaudio concept in the near future. My current speakers are the wharfedale Denton 80th , which I quite like, do prefer the smoother listen. But am seriously considering the acoustic energy ae500 speakers. Has anybody got any experience with these and if they would be a good match with the elex r? Also tempted with the rega elicit r….would appreciate any thoughts on this pairing, regards.

No personal experience with either pairing but there is no reason to be concerned about either amps ability to drive these speakers. My concern would be whether or not they will work well within your room and whether they will sound quite dissimilar to that Wharfedale sound you like.
Why do you fancy the AE500, what's driving the change?

Last edited:

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
No personal experience with either pairing but there is no reason to be concerned about either amps ability to drive these speakers. My concern would be whether or not they will work well within your room and whether they will sound quite dissimilar to that Wharfedale sound you like.
Why do you fancy the AE500, what's driving the change?
Hi, think I’d get more from my amp with a better quality speaker, the reviews of the AE500 seem pretty good and are apparently quite smooth, especially the mid range. My Dentons seem lacking in some ares but can’t put my finger on it. The price range between both sets of speakers is quite considerable, so hoping the sound quality would be a big improvement.

I’m pretty sure I’ve not heard these newest AE500, but I’d expect them to be very different indeed to your Dentons, if they’re anything like most Acoustic Energy speakers. They’re typically quite open and lively.

At around £1000 you should try to hear them alongside two other excellent small speakers - the KEF LS50 Meta and the Q Acoustics Concept 30. With all of these, don’t overlook a budget for stands. If you simply want more of what you have, then the mellow Wharfedale Lintons are bigger and a similar price.

Iirc, Audio T branches often carry Rega and AE.

Last edited:

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
have been looking at the Linton, and got a demo in a couple of days, but think they might be slightly overkill for my room.. approx 16’x15’ Had low ceilings too. Also tempted with the act vcm11s . Also just wondered if the elicit r is slightly less forward than the elex r and having more of a smoother timbre? Would appreciate any opinions or advice.

have been looking at the Linton, and got a demo in a couple of days, but think they might be slightly overkill for my room.. approx 16’x15’ Had low ceilings too. Also tempted with the act vcm11s . Also just wondered if the elicit r is slightly less forward than the elex r and having more of a smoother timbre? Would appreciate any opinions or advice.
Speakers can be described as less forward, amplifiers cannot in opinion.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure where you're located but as Nopiano said, many of the Audio-T branches will be familiar with the AE500's and Rega amps so if not too far may be worth a visit (or call at least - they're usually happy to offer advice).

We use a Rega Aethos and AVI Lab Series to design the speakers on nowadays and we're happy with the combo!

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
I'm not sure where you're located but as Nopiano said, many of the Audio-T branches will be familiar with the AE500's and Rega amps so if not too far may be worth a visit (or call at least - they're usually happy to offer advice).

We use a Rega Aethos and AVI Lab Series to design the speakers on nowadays and we're happy with the combo!
Hi cheers for that , I’m based in Exeter Devon, will check out any nearby stores.👍

Reactions: AEJim
Hi cheers for that , I’m based in Exeter Devon, will check out any nearby stores.👍
Your nearest looks like the Bristol branch I’ve used. They’re very relaxed and knowledgeable, and I’d suggest you book an afternoon if you can.

It’s a nice location, about halfway up Park Street, towards the University - you can see the Wills tower at the top. Not the easiest if you’re driving, but I recall Exeter wasn’t much easier!

Reactions: Al ears

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
It’s a nice location, about halfway up Park Street, towards the University - you can see the Wills tower at the top. Not the easiest if you’re driving, but I recall Exeter wasn’t much easier!

Yeah, you tend to end up having to reverse parallel park up the hill in busy traffic, quite fun! :) If you take a right (facing downhill) after you drive past the shop on the right there's often spaces down the side road there too. They usually have a good stock of the KEF and ATC's as mentioned to compare against from memory... That's if they're not too far away!

I'm pretty sure Gulliford Hi-Fi in Exeter stock Rega and AE, not sure about 500 Series though - we can always send a demo set round if need be. (y)

robdmarsh

I'm not surprised you want to upgrade from the Denton 80s. I had these for a bit and was not really all that taken with the sound. They sounded how they look: polite. And by that I don't mean I like a bright speaker. But agility and liveliness are traits I do want and finding a speaker that can do this without veering into brightness is more difficult. Give Triangle a go. Either the Esprit Titus (my speakers) or the Cometes. Premium sound have these and do home trials.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts