The lifespan of speakers?

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair of B&W DM602's. I've played them 5 days a week for 11 years, sometimes at levels high enough to scare squirrels and small farm animals. The bass is sounding sloppy to me now. Is that the speakers or my hearing? I've read on WHF of some people replacing 30 year old speakers. Could it be that if I wasn't cranking Talking Heads and Led Zeppelin to the extremes, they'd still sound great? I ordered Chord Rumour 2 biwire to see if I could resuscitate them.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Don Jr:I have a pair of B&W DM602's. I'veÿplayed them 5 days a week for 11 years, sometimes at levels high enough to scare squirrels and small farm animals. The bass is sounding sloppy to me now. Is that the speakers or my hearing?ÿÿI've read on WHF of some people replacing 30 year old speakers. Could it be that if I wasn't cranking Talking Heads and Led Zeppelin to the extremes, they'd still sound great?ÿI ordered Chord Rumour 2 biwire to see if I could resuscitate them.

I imagine they are now rather loose, and I suspect some new cable is not the answer.

And listening to LZ at high volumes probably hasn't done your ears that much good either.

ÿ

Tonestar1

Try tightening any exterior driver bolts. May even be worth opening up to make sure the drivers are property secured to the cabinet.

I had a set of the 601's for at least ten years. I managed to kill them with a window pane, sill, in fact entire flat rattling play of the chemical brothers after too much booze last new year :-(

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don Jr:I've played them
5 days a week for 11 years, sometimes at levels high enough to scare
squirrels and small farm animals.

If you listen for prolongued periods to unrelentingly loud music then your ears are probably in a similar condition by now.

The threshold for 'hearing damage due to long term exposure' is only 78db and even very short exposure to 115db can damage hearing long before any pain is experienced. Very very easy with in ear phones. (Many people think it is ok unless it hurts. It's not. The damage is done long before then.)

New/better speakers may help but I am guessing it will only encourage you to play them even louder
emotion-1.gif

[Edit] Just in the spirit of curiosity I used the 'Decibel' app on my iPhone just now about a meter from one of my speakers and I was getting an average of around 72db with peaks of 84db and a max of 89db. From where I listen it is about 69db average and peaks of 81-82db and max 85db so far. (Radio Paradise).

Don Jr

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll check the driver surrounds. If that's not it, I've either ruined my hearing or my speakers could use replacing, or both. Now the question is, hearing test or new speakers? The hearing test could lead to hearing aids and I don't think I'm ready for that at 41. I might have a listen to the CM7's.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

The threshold for 'hearing damage due to long term exposure' is only 78db and even very short exposure to 115db can damage hearing long before any pain is experienced. Very very easy with in ear phones. (Many people think it is ok unless it hurts. It's not. The damage is done long before then.)

So out of interest, what would about 1/2 way volume on an iphone/touch be in db if played through Shure SE530 in-ears (or any other high end in-ears)? Anyone know?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have some 603 S2's that are 10 years old, still going strong Loved them still can not part with them but there are much better speakers out there now even if they are running well, if you like the sound have a listen to some of the laters B&W's

With respect to dB and hearing, I agree long term with high volume is not a good thing, but be careful with measurements, legislative figures are in dBA and possibly averaged, we tend to measure Hi-Fi in dBC which measures higher, I think A is weighted for the non linearity of human hearing. The limits referenced I believe are based on 8 hours a day exposure, I am open to corrction on any of this as I have not looked in to it for a while.

A

Anonymous

i have had a pair of rogers ls3/5a from 1981 and have never
had any problems with them,
i have tried numerous other speakers over the years but i keep
going back to the rogers i have a love hate relationship with them,
they just sound so good at times but also very revealing speakers...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts