The Kef Reference thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
@ Gokulramesh

I would make the following (subjective) points:

- People's definition of "warm" (Bass/Mid) can be different ...and can get confused with "dark", which more applies to Treble.

- I strongly suspect that you will find the AMS50 sounds incredibly open, detailed, dynamic and exciting, with remarkable bass slam. The complete absence of "crossover distortion" means that the treble is very pure, natural and "grit free". It's Class A topology gives it lightening transient response, which added to the scale that the 207/2s can produce, will give a great sense of realism.

- The Electros are remarkable high bias Class A / high current, but imo, don't quite have the beguiling magic of the AMS amps

- Make sure you listen to the Primo, as I suspect that it will provide part of the AMS magic.

- The Refs will show up any deficiency in the preceding system.

- The size of your room is perfect for the 207/2s, though if it has a suspended wooden floor, or a lot of reflective surfaces, sensible measures may be needed.

- Neuphonix has the Primo / AMS 50 with 205/2s, and if he sees this, will surely comment. He was also looking to upgrade to 207/2s. It was my comment on the remarkable synergy between AMS / Kef Ref that led him to try it....and I think it's fair to say that he now agrees.

- Once the system has settled down, I think it's worth experimenting with cables.

So to sum up - In my slightly biased opinion, expect great things from both amps (with a decent source / Pre), but I predict that the AMS 50 will have that X Factor that only a true class A can provide.

I look forward to your findings.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jima4a said:
Any thoughts on the new Reference?

- They look the polar opposide of current ones....so need to see them in the flesh.

- Maybe not as easy to place (rear ported / no boundary compensation)

- Need to widen the gap between R Series and Refs (and close the gap with the Blade).

Jima4a

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Jima4a said:

- They look the polar opposide of current ones....so need to see them in the flesh.

- Need to widen the gap between R Series and Refs (and close the gap with the Blade).

i would have a difficult time using them in my room. I tried rear ported and bottom ported and neither worked very well in my situation. The 205/2s work very well for me with the front ports.

Peiter

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

At the moment my system consist of a pair of Monitor Audio Platinum 100 speakers amped by a Wyred4sound STI-500 https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/sti-series

This friday I'm going to a demo of Kef Reference 201/2 (with my Wyred4sound STI-500). Am I wasting my time or do you really think the 201/2 is blowing the Platinum 100's away ?

Thank you I appreciate your opinions!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Peiter said:
Hi all

At the moment my system consist of a pair of Monitor Audio Platinum 100 speakers amped by a Wyred4sound STI-500 https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/sti-series

This friday I'm going to a demo of Kef Reference 201/2 (with my Wyred4sound STI-500). Am I wasting my time or do you really think the 201/2 is blowing the Platinum 100's away ?

Thank you I appreciate your opinions!

Hi Peiter and welcome to the forum (and Reference thread)

This is more about system synergy and personal preference than blowing anything away.

If it was me, I'd wait till I'd heard the new Ref 1s before jumping.

Peiter

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
.... If it was me, I'd wait till I'd heard the new Ref 1s before jumping.

Also if I told you that the 201/2 is ½ price ?

(They are new (NOS) currently located at the dealer and maybe the last pair in my country)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Peiter said:
CnoEvil said:
.... If it was me, I'd wait till I'd heard the new Ref 1s before jumping.

Also if I told you that the 201/2 is ½ price ?

(They are new (NOS) currently located at the dealer and maybe the last pair in my country)

Ah!

Can you get to hear them on the end of your system.......it will come down to whether you prefer the Kef Sound or the MA one.

All things being equal, I would expect the Kefs to be a touch better, but not enough to risk buying blind.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Jima4a said:

The R Series hasn't been as bad to position as would be expected considering the range's bass output. If the new Reference is in any way similar, they may surprise. A rear port is generally considered to be better for sound quality over a front port.

As for widening gaps, it could be said that the new Reference will close the gap between R Series and Reference in the sense that they will be tonally more like R Series than the outgoing Reference range, despite being better. And we don't want the new Reference closing up on Blade, otherwise Blade would become obsolete...

:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
And we don't want the new Reference closing up on Blade, otherwise Blade would become obsolete...

By "close", I mean "narrow".....otherwise the New Refs wouldn't be any better than the Old ones. :p

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Very nicely thank you! I am truely very happy with them, no dark moments thinking "what the hell have I done" or anything like that.

I have discovered some interesting and suprising aspects of the Blades too, like they sound excellent when played very quietly.

Having said that........

I can't imagine what they might sound like cranked up and SAM powered !!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
For me, the R Series doesn't compete with the outgoing Reference anyway :)

If the R Series had existed when I bought mine, the decision would have been much more difficult......I don't think the 205/2s are worth 3x the R700s (hence the need to raise the bar again).

Very much looking forward to what you think after your demo....as I then suspect you'll see I'm right. :shifty:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

If the R Series had existed when I bought mine, the decision would have been much more difficult......I don't think the 205/2s are worth 3x the R700s (hence the need to raise the bar again).

The 205/2s are still the star performers of the Reference range in my opinion, and they're more the sort of sound I prefer. Although I appreciate others might prefer the tonal balance of the R Series.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
CnoEvil said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

The 205/2s are still the star performers of the Reference range in my opinion, and they're more the sort of sound I prefer. Although I appreciate others might prefer the tonal balance of the R Series.

I agree about the 205/2s being the star of the range and would certainly take them over the R Series....but with a finite amount of money and the leap forward in sound the R Series have made compared to the XQ Series, I would have had a much tougher decision.

I'm looking for the Bass precision of the Old Refs, combined with the Mid and Treble of the Blades, giving an even cleaner, detailed and more natural sound. :bounce:

Edit. Have you heard the New Refs or is it tomorrow that the dem happens?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I agree about the 205/2s being the star of the range and would certainly take them over the R Series....but with a finite amount of money and the leap forward in sound the R Series have made compared to the XQ Series, I would have had a much tougher decision.

I'm looking for the Bass precision of the Old Refs, combined with the Mid and Treble of the Blades, giving an even cleaner, detailed and more natural sound. :bounce:

Edit. Have you heard the New Refs or is it tomorrow that the dem happens?

I think you'll be very pleased then Cno!

I heard them last Monday :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
A subjective question:

If you owned 205/2s, would you personally swap them for some Reference Ones?

I'll be able to answer that one better when I get to hear them in a familiar environment. With the new Reference's presentation more like the Blades (which for me are a huge step up from 207/2s), you may find some people who would be willing to change 205/2s for Reference 1s - then again, you may find some that won't, and would need/want the Reference 3s in order to be more like what they're used to (multiple driver design).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
CnoEvil said:
A subjective question:

If you owned 205/2s, would you personally swap them for some Reference Ones?

I'll be able to answer that one better when I get to hear them in a familiar environment. With the new Reference's presentation more like the Blades (which for me are a huge step up from 207/2s), you may find some people who would be willing to change 205/2s for Reference 1s - then again, you may find some that won't, and would need/want the Reference 3s in order to be more like what they're used to (multiple driver design).

Yup, which is why I asked for your personal opinion.....I will form mine if and when I hear them. I will also have to decide if my 35i will cope with their much lower sensitivity (85dB vs 90 dB). :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For those interested, here is some technical insight into the New Reference speakers: http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts