The Mac and Cno Belfast outing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thank you for your kind words.....but it really was a pleasure.

The room I reckon was something like 12.5' x 12.5ft.

If Mrs. Cno did a lot of listening, I would have gone for the Refs, as we both really like them. She just finds the Harbeths lack too much excitement for her taste. I do think that if they had more room to breathe and a better Amp, things might be a bit different (or they might not). One of the reasons I bought the 35i, was the scale, excitement and vibrancy if injected into the music.

We both very much appreciated the very kind invitation to your family gathering.....it looked like a lot of fun, with enough people to fill two floors of a Belfast Pub!....but Mary had prior commitments to do with her role at the local church.

I have a difficult question for you - Where would you place the system you heard on Saturday, in the context of the best systems that you have heard/owned?

I know that you would not do a straight swop for your Harbeths (which are around half the cost), for those Kefs - which shows that you have chosen wisely. The question is, could you live with that system, if BBC style Monitors didn't exist?

Ps. Can you remind me of the Artists that I particularly liked? - Thanks.

Oops sorry I missed the PS at the end.

You particularly liked Vienna Teng and Barnaby Bright.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hi Mac, it would be great to meet at some stage in the future - at 58 now, I'm semi-retired and hoping to chuck it all in by the time I'm 62.

Maybe then I'll make another trip to the UK and do the rounds, visiting old friends, including those in N. Ireland. Hopefully my hearing holds up !

Cno - have you found a suitable amp to pair with the 40.2s?

I'm also that age - and atm fully retired - so am usually pretty free for any hook ups of fellow music lovers.

As Mac says, I'm in no particular hurry for the Amp....and the heart rate of my bank account needs to return to a resting state.

insider9

Great to read your insights and I'm happy all of you had a wonderful time. One thing that strikes me about your observations is how well you know your taste and how well your system delivers in ways you want it to. Putting together a system like that isn't easy. It's a great accomplishment in fact.Somehow from reading your contributions, both about Hifi and music I think you'd absolutely adore Esoteric F-05. Should you ever consider upgrading your lovely Accuphase please give it a listen.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
You're on the right track, though....

Remember, when you're old enough to know exactly what you like....you're too old to hear it. *dash1*

Thanks. That's a very good point. I've been on a fast track over the last few years. And particularly last 6 months have been very educational. I believe I'm in the right ballpark. That's probably why I've not bought any new equipment since begining of the year.

Oh and according to tests online with hearing just over 17kHz I've got a hearing of a 26 year old.

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
I have no chance. I'm only 37 *blush*

You're on the right track, though....

Remember, when you're old enough to know exactly what you like....you're too old to hear it. *dash1*
Cno, I thought you were going to say, when you can afford what you like...! It’s similar for many folks, I guess.

I remember an acquaintance once saying similar about gourmet food. Once he could afford it he could no longer digest it properly!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Great to read your insights and I'm happy all of you had a wonderful time. One thing that strikes me about your observations is how well you know your taste and how well your system delivers in ways you want it to. Putting together a system like that isn't easy. It's a great accomplishment in fact.Somehow from reading your contributions, both about Hifi and music I think you'd absolutely adore Esoteric F-05. Should you ever consider upgrading your lovely Accuphase please give it a listen.

Thanks Insider,

Like Cno said it does take years... I'd say it's only been in the last 10 years that I started to get it right and once the children had grown up enough I started to have the time, and most importantly the funds to be able to experiment to get where I am today.

It will be interesting how I feel about it once I move and hopefully have a bigger listening room.

I might ask Rick if I could have a loan of the Esoteric just to satisfy my curiosity and see if I need to get saving.

@Cno, just about to listen to Shpongle

Mac

insider9

Macspur said:
Thanks Insider,

Like Cno said it does take years... I'd say it's only been in the last 10 years that I started to get it right and once the children had grown up enough I started to have the time, and most importantly the funds to be able to experiment to get where I am today.

It will be interesting how I feel about it once I move and hopefully have a bigger listening room.

I might ask Rick if I could have a loan of the Esoteric just to satisfy my curiosity and see if I need to get saving.

Mac

That's a very good point, Mac. My kids are still at school. Youngest for another 10 years ,at least. This in itself restricts funds quite significantly. With the balanced system you currently have I'd not attempt to change anything for the sake of it. And listening environment will definitely have a huge impact, so I'd wait until you move. However afterwards I'd be giving Rick a call :) I should have the review in the next few weeks, which will give you a far better idea than any comment I could make now.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
That is a very honest and straightforward answer - and not really a surprise. All the things that you like about Harbeths is what ultimately drew me to them.

If you find yourself free for a few days, around when I'm looking for Amps, you are welcome to come and stay, so you can give me support.

Looking forward to this. I’d be delighted if you included a big SET (think 845’s) Valve Amp (or Amps) as a pairing for the Harbeths.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Macspur said:
Thanks Insider,

Mac

That's a very good point, Mac. My kids are still at school. Youngest for another 10 years ,at least. This in itself restricts funds quite significantly. With the balanced system you currently have I'd not attempt to change anything for the sake of it. And listening environment will definitely have a huge impact, so I'd wait until you move. However afterwards I'd be giving Rick a call :) I should have the review in the next few weeks, which will give you a far better idea than any comment I could make now.

Looking forward to it Insider!

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Oooo... sounds like you guys had a good time. Fascinating read BTW. Good stuff.

Thx PP....and we did.

We also found each other, pretty much as we expected, from our posting style.....of course, I'm better looking in real life. *pardon*

TRENDING THREADS