The Kef Reference thread

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is not meant to be a pretentious or exclusive thread, but a place where past, present or potential owners, can gather info or talk about their speakers. If you have tried them and didn't like them, feel free to tell us about it and what other speakers you chose instead.

I'm interested in which Reference you own, what system they are on the end of, and which speakers they conquered in order to make it into first place.

IMO. They make a great choice for a mixture of HT and 2 channel as they are exciting, punchy and detailed...but they need high quality amplification that can deliver plenty of current/power.

I'm starting similar threads for the MF AMS 35i (or indeed any AMS product) and Linn DS/DSM.

Hi CnE

I owned Refernce Model 3.2's in which were in Rosetta Burr finish. The amplification which i mostly used the 3.2's was with the truly great Pioneer A-400 :). Sources were mostly Naim's CDX/XPS MK1 and a Pioneer F-93 tuner.

I eventually sold the Model 3.2 and replaced them with ATC's SCM40 monitors.

Anyway good old Kef Reference. Old is gold :cheers:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

I owned Refernce Model 3.2's in which were in Rosetta Burr finish. The amplification which i mostly used the 3.2's was with the truly great Pioneer A-400 :). Sources were mostly Naim's CDX/XPS MK1 and a Pioneer F-93 tuner.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thx Rick, it's great to hear about the old (gold) stuff....for without that, there would be no current Reference series, Muon or Blade.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevekelly11 said:
i still use a pair of Kef Reference Model 104's in my 'Study' hooked up to an old Technics amp for music from my computer. Still sound fabul

Hi Steve

Any plans to upgrade and get the most out of those lovely 104s?

Cno

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
As you might remember, I bought Kef 207/2 a few months ago. :rockout: They took over from Spendor S8e.

Just received Bryston monoblocs this week (7bsst2). Source is a mac mini to Weiss 202 which also acts as pre-amp. Cabling (reused from previous systems): Ringmat speaker cable, Nordost Heimdall interconnect.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
As you might remember, I bought Kef 207/2 a few months ago. :rockout: They took over from Spendor S8e.

Just received Bryston monoblocs this week (7bsst2). Source is a mac mini to Weiss 202 which also acts as pre-amp. Cabling (reused from previous systems): Ringmat speaker cable, Nordost Heimdall interconnect.

Yes of course I remember, and it's great to see you make an appearance on this thread.....only down side is that a review of your wonderful system is now expected (maybe even photos)!

Cno

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Yes of course I remember, and it's great to see you make an appearance on this thread.....only down side is that a review of your wonderful system is now expected (maybe even photos)!

Cno

Review is short: :cheer: ... I am very happy ! Can it get any better ? Well I guess I will have to figure out if I believe in cables and raviolis...

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CnE

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thx Rick, it's great to hear about the old (gold) stuff....for without that, there would be no current Reference series, Muon or Blade.

Hi CnE

Your welcome.

Yes, good old KEF Reference :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno

Review is short: :cheer: ... I am very happy ! Can it get any better ? Well I guess I will have to figure out if I believe in cables and raviolis...

You should try Atlas Mavros, Tellurium Q Ultra Black or Cardas Golden Reference, as these are the best cables I've heard (and maybe some Shunyata power cables)......and definitely see if Frogfishes like Black Ravioli!

Hi CnE

Just for clarififcation - you're not recommending Black Ravioli for the 207's are you?
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
frogfish said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno

You should try Atlas Mavros, Tellurium Q Ultra Black or Cardas Golden Reference, as these are the best cables I've heard (and maybe some Shunyata power cables)......and definitely see if Frogfishes like Black Ravioli!

Here are a couple of reviews of Telurium Q:
http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/351/57/Tellurium-Q-Graphite-Speaker-Cables/
and
http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/295/57/TelluriumQ-Black-and-Ultra-Black/

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I owned a pair of Kef Reference Twos in the late 90s, which I used with Meridian pre/power - very nice sound. Then got (back) into Naim and bought some s/h SBLs which I didn't like at all!

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
frogfish said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno

Here are a couple of reviews of Telurium Q: http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/351/57/Tellurium-Q-Graphite-Speaker-Cables/ and http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/295/57/TelluriumQ-Black-and-Ultra-Black/

You really like to encourage people to spend !

What do you use yourself, and what do you think are its relative strengths ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
frogfish said:
You really like to encourage people to spend !

Only where I think it's advisable. >)

frogfish said:
What do you use yourself, and what do you think are its relative strengths ?

I use Cardas Golden Cross, as I think it has a very natural presentation with a lovely organic mid-range...a good anti-dote for digitalitus.

In your case, I suspect you would prefer the very slightly "cleaner" and exciting presentation of the Golden Reference.

These are all expensive cables and so a home demo is essential, but with a system like yours it is well worth experimenting, as imo good cabling makes more difference than you'd expect.....otherwise it's like putting 2* unleaded into a Formula One car. :twisted:

IMO. Simply putting decent mains cables on the power amp, should make a worthwhile difference...but don't take my word for it....try it and report back. Decent ones are made by Furutech, Cardas, Nordost and Shunyata.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I owned a pair of Kef Reference Twos in the late 90s, which I used with Meridian pre/power - very nice sound. Then got (back) into Naim and bought some s/h SBLs which I didn't like at all!

Hi Jerry, its good to see past Reference owners coming out of the woodwork...the newer stuff has different voicing. I think the /2 versions are a substantial improvement over the previous models, which I didn't really like.

jjbomber

Kef Reference One in Rosetta Burr finish as oart of the surround sound with a 200Centre and Kef somethings as rears and a REL sub, powered by a Naim N-Vi. I also partner them with the Supernait/Hi-Cap from the spare room when I want a blast. Still stunning to look at and listen to. I have a strict no-fly zone around the speakers. They still look as if they have just come out of the box. The Supernait/Hi-Cap is normally with Naim Allae speakers.

They replaced a pair of SBLs in a lomg story. Bought from a dealer, who charged my credit card with £300 extra. Long legal bettle and I had to return the SBLs for a refund. Took 9 months to sort out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Kef Reference One in Rosetta Burr finish as oart of the surround sound with a 200Centre and Kef somethings as rears and a REL sub, powered by a Naim N-Vi. I also partner them with the Supernait/Hi-Cap from the spare room when I want a blast. Still stunning to look at and listen to. I have a strict no-fly zone around the speakers. They still look as if they have just come out of the box. The Supernait/Hi-Cap is normally with Naim Allae speakers.

They replaced a pair of SBLs in a lomg story. Bought from a dealer, who charged my credit card with £300 extra. Long legal bettle and I had to return the SBLs for a refund. Took 9 months to sort out.

Hi JJ

It's great to hear about your system and that your Refs are still going strong.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cno,

Not that I'm in the market for changing the Harbeths, but I've seen a pair of Kef Reference 3 MK1 going for less than a grand at Audio Emotion in Scotland and just wondered if you have had any experience of this model and if so, what do you think of them?

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Cno,

Not that I'm in the market for changing the Harbeths, but I've seen a pair of Kef Reference 3 MK1 going for less than a grand at Audio Emotion in Scotland and just wondered if you have had any experience of this model and if so, what do you think of them?

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac

I can't be of much help here, only to say that older Refs had a warmer sound with more bass....and usually needed lots of power to keep them under control.

David should be able to give far better insight than me on this one.

TRENDING THREADS