The film thread.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Dark Water - a J-horror from a few years ago. Probably better described as creepy than a horror - good but not great.

Watchmen - having re-read it and watched the excellent mini-series recently. Looks great, misses too much, but rather better than I remembered it.

The Meaning of Life - messy and patchy, but I have a lot of affection for it.

DCarmi

Re #164. Not sure I'd recommend installing apps from somewhere other than reputable app stores. Also it seems to distribute subscription channels without the required subscription, so its legitimacy may be dubious.

Reactions: Al ears
The Lovely Bones on blu ray - springing This Mortal Coil's version of Song to the Siren, a song I've loved since I was a teenager - at a particularly emotive point is a bit cruel. Not a dry eye in the room...

Not an easy watch, but a great film. EDIT: I'm surprised to see how badly it's rated at Rotten Tomatoes etc.

Last edited:
Silent Running, on Geman blu ray. Awful music and a bit simplistic, but a great performance from Bruce Dern, and interesting to see how much of Douglas Trumball's effects evolved into use in other things.

I was confused - thought Trumball had been involved with Alien - there are several things that are reminiscent in terms of design - the detonators are very similar to the self destruct systems on the Nostromo. Homage, maybe?

Last edited:

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Revolt -- DVD -- obscure sci-fi made in Africa on a low-ish budget. Marmite audience response and lots of flaws even for those who enjoyed it (e.g. me) but still impressive in many ways.

Rewatched Magnolia last night - great cast with some fantastic performances. Always gets me that Jason Robards was playing an old man on his deathbed with cancer, when at the time, he himself was dying of cancer. He passed away not too long after the film’s release.

I knew Aimee Mann’s music was used in the film, but I didn’t know that the film was inspired by her music. Paul Thomas Anderson used one of the lines from one of her songs in the movie.

This really needs a 4K release!

TRENDING THREADS