The film thread.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Team America - World Police on blu ray. Can't think of anything less subtle, and some of the end isn't superb, but I really enjoy quite large chunks of it - particularly some of the cruder parts.
Quite ironic that it’s not subtle - neither are the actions of America!

I love this film. Have you seen the extended one? There’s a few extra bits as well as an extended graphic sex scene which went a bit too far…as they do with the scene with him being sick outside the bar, but then, as mentioned, America usually goes too far in their actions with regards to the rest of the world.

I’m just waiting for the woke brigade to attempt to get it banned or heavily cut. Glad I have the Bluray :)

I want to watch it now…

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Le Mans 66 (US: Ford vs Ferrari) -- Disney Plus -- disappointingly in HD rather than 4K but with some good audio. Manages to create some whoop out loud moments but the story was a little disappointing. The best performances were almost entirely with the supporting cast. Top notch audio for atmosphere but failed to deliver on the gutsy bass growl of the racing.

Reactions: davidf and Al ears
By strange coincidence, this arrived in the post this morning:

Yojimbo -- DVD -- the movie A Fistful of Dollars was based on. Akira Kurosawa at his best.
Followed up with For a Few Dollars More last night - definitely a better film than the first. TGTB&TU at some point soon, though I think I'll be skipping the scenes around the bridge - as I recall they weren't in the theatrical release, and they do both drag and make it an extremely long film.

Reactions: Arron
Le Mans 66 (US: Ford vs Ferrari) -- Disney Plus -- disappointingly in HD rather than 4K but with some good audio. Manages to create some whoop out loud moments but the story was a little disappointing. The best performances were almost entirely with the supporting cast. Top notch audio for atmosphere but failed to deliver on the gutsy bass growl of the racing.
Only watched this film about a month ago. I got the 4K disc rental through Cinema Paradiso, and it the film was so good, and the audio and picture quality was so good that I ordered the 4K disc. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it - Christian Bale as Ken Miles is brilliant in it, although I’m a little unsure about Bale’s accent, which I couldn’t quite work out, and I found out after the film that Miles was from Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham.
Really enjoyable film, funny, and informative, as I‘d never even heard of Ken Miles, and didn’t know the story of Ford/Ferrari. A good 9/10 from me.

Reactions: Arron and Al ears
Only watched this film about a month ago. I got the 4K disc rental through Cinema Paradiso, and it the film was so good, and the audio and picture quality was so good that I ordered the 4K disc. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it - Christian Bale as Ken Miles is brilliant in it, although I’m a little unsure about Bale’s accent, which I couldn’t quite work out, and I found out after the film that Miles was from Sutton Coldfield in Birmingham.
Really enjoyable film, funny, and informative, as I‘d never even heard of Ken Miles, and didn’t know the story of Ford/Ferrari. A good 9/10 from me.
Me too, really enjoyed it.

Will have to look out for that.

The Cabin in the Woods - seen it before, but on holiday on DVD and on a tiny TV. Enjoyable, if perhaps not quite as clever as it might be aiming to be. And definitely a boom of excess bass in places in the soundtrack - something I don't care for.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - not big or clever, but I love the bits in Hell, and the scenes stolen by William Sadler as Death - which is to say every scene he's in.
Most excellent :)

Tonight it will be old-school:

Fantastic Voyage -- DVD -- ludicrous by today's standards but a wonderful insight into the attitudes of the 60s.

Reactions: 12th Monkey
12 Monkeys on 4k - a film I love (as you might have guessed). I love the look of it, its cleverness and the interesting nature of the story. 4k transfer isn't universally fantastic, but it has more of a feeling of looking into the screen than the blu ray.

TRENDING THREADS